Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Quinn Cook Commits to Duke!!

It's about time we had one of these...

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/...ook-interview/

Quinn says there are a few things that make Duke an attractive place to play. “The main thing is winning. When you think college basketball, you think Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Arizona, and UCLA. Duke just wins. Coach K being with USA Basketball and Duke you can see he knows how to win. Also, the way they get guys to the NBA and the fact that there are a lot of Duke guys in the NBA now.”
    “Coach K told me that would be a perfect weekend to come up there. Marshall Plumlee told me he was going to be up there and so did “Little” Rodney Purvis and Quincy (Miller), so I just said why not? All my boys will be up there at one time, so…”

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I agree. The 2011 Recruiting Thread is a great discussion; however, Quinn Cook's recruitment has progressed to the point he deserves his own thread. Over the summer, Cook was a member of the USA U17 Team, which won the Gold Medal in Hamburg, Germany. Cook started all eight games and averaged 7.5 points and 7.4 assists in 21.1 minutes per game. Here are links to the Gold Medal Game recap and team stats for the tournament:

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u1...010_06_29.html

Quinn Cook is ranked #20 in the Class of 2011 by Scout and is a guy I definitely desire to see playing his college ball at Duke.
    Bob Green

Something we have learned

A big part of playing PG at Duke is his ability to guard other PG's. We have all witnessed first hand what happens when we cannot keep opposing PG's out of the lane. So I am curious at Cook's ability to play D. Because I have heard about his limited athleticism. From someone who has seen him play how good is this guys D?

Is it just me or does Quinn's game remind anyone else of like a Corey Fisher or maybe Scottie Reynolds even? I know two Villanova guys but still.

Quote Originally Posted by amazinballer323 View Post
    Is it just me or does Quinn's game remind anyone else of like a Corey Fisher or maybe Scottie Reynolds even? I know two Villanova guys but still.
    Not sure if Scottie is the best example. I always though QC to be a pass-first point guard, which definitely isn't Scottie. I think of QC as a Duhon type player. Insiders - please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Duhon is the best Duke-PG example...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Not sure if Scottie is the best example. I always though QC to be a pass-first point guard, which definitely isn't Scottie. I think of QC as a Duhon type player. Insiders - please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Duhon is the best Duke-PG example...
    I've heard Quinn's game compared to Duhon's before, but I don't think Quinn plays as big as Duhon did. Chris was very good at using his upper body strength to get position where Quinn uses more craftiness to create space for himself.

There were a few comparisons to players that Quinn sees in himself in the interview I posted, and I agree with all of them to an extent. He's been asked to be more of a distributor this Summer than a scorer like he was with Dematha, and he has responded well. I like Quinn's game a lot. He does a lot of things very well on the court and he's a very versatile point guard.

I really like this kid. I think he could come in and take over for Kyrie in a year or so. If he commits here, I think he will be a very good asset to us. He is one of these guys who can do everything well and will be able to run a offense in a very affective way. My question is, when will there be an offer extend if there is one extended? I think the October 15th visit will be late to attend an offer in the recruiting process.

I think normally Oct. 15th would be too late, but I also think Quinn really wants to play for carolina or Duke and he knows he needs to wait for that offer to come from either school. He was really high on Arizona, but with their reduction in scholarships because of NCAA penalties, they seem to be focused in on Jahii Carson, which should give Duke more time to extend that offer.

We need to see how things shake out with Quincy Miller and the Myck Kabongo rumors before moving forward with Cook honestly, but I don't think you'll see the staff wait too long and miss out on all three.

We need to see how things shake out with Quincy Miller and the Myck Kabongo rumors before moving forward with Cook honestly, but I don't think you'll see the staff wait too long and miss out on all three.
    so airowe, you think the Myck Kabongo rumors have legs? more so then the Brad Beal rumors? to decommitting?

I think both rumors have some legs, it remains to be seen how those situations play out...

I think normally Oct. 15th would be too late, but I also think Quinn really wants to play for carolina or Duke and he knows he needs to wait for that offer to come from either school. He was really high on Arizona, but with their reduction in scholarships because of NCAA penalties, they seem to be focused in on Jahii Carson, which should give Duke more time to extend that offer.

Airowe, It seems like Quinn is very high on Duke; but do you think Duke really has time to sit on Cook in order to wait for Quincy Miller's decision when Q will probably not make a decision until next spring? I would imagin Cook wanting to decide sooner then that; and might be hesistant to wait on Duke withoout a guarantee of a scholly and risk the opportunity to play for another favorite school like Carolina if they officially offer him. What are your (or anyone else's) thoughts on how long Duke could realistically holdout for Q Miller's decision and not lose Cook to another school?

If I were Cook...

...which I am clearly not, why make a decision in the fall if you want to play for Duke or UNC? Why not wait it out until the spring, when you have a better feel for the landscape. Currently, the two schools have the following options for PG in 2011-2012:

Duke:
    -KI (if he stays) - Soph
    -Thornton - Soph
    -Curry (can play the point) - Jun
    -AR (assuming he comes; he is a combo guard who can play the point) - Fresh

UNC
    -LDII - Sen
    -Marshall - Soph
    -Strickland - Jun

By committing in the spring, you'd know whether KI would return for his senior year, whether AR is going to Duke and what position he would most likely to play, whether someone from UNC would transfer, whether UNC would get another PG, etc. etc.

I really, really like Cook and would love for him to come to Duke. But, if I'm a top 20 talent, I'd also like to know the full landscape to ensure that I will have a large opportunity for playing time.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Airowe, It seems like Quinn is very high on Duke; but do you think Duke really has time to sit on Cook in order to wait for Quincy Miller's decision when Q will probably not make a decision until next spring? I would imagin Cook wanting to decide sooner then that; and might be hesistant to wait on Duke withoout a guarantee of a scholly and risk the opportunity to play for another favorite school like Carolina if they officially offer him. What are your (or anyone else's) thoughts on how long Duke could realistically holdout for Q Miller's decision and not lose Cook to another school?
    I don't think we'll need to wait that long. I'm sure everyone will know how Kyrie is playing by the time Cook makes the call. I don't really think Cook will be able to make a Fall decision like he wants.

First, the back court situation at the schools atop his list won't be settled enough to do so. Second, I don't think Cook will have a chance to officially visit either of the West Coast schools on his list until Oak Hill goes to Hawaii over Christmas. He may drop in on them while he's in LA for the Elite 24 game, but can't take an official until his senior year. Maybe he won't need to, I think he would.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/...ook-interview/
    Hold it just a minute! I thought that Duke didn't put players in the nba and the ones that did sneak in were busts!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I really, really like Cook and would love for him to come to Duke. But, if I'm a top 20 talent, I'd also like to know the full landscape to ensure that I will have a large opportunity for playing time.
    I understand what you're saying and I think it's a reasonable approach; but I'm wondering that if he took that approach, he might miss out on going to a dream school and settle for lesser options (like having to go to a shady program like UK ).
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-20-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Cook interview... talks about his top teams (Duke is in there) and some stuff about him being a UNC fan growing up (says it wont factor in his decision) some other tidbits...

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/hsh-1-...unc-duke-ucla/

Quinn Cook Out for Season?

According to this article, Quinn's knee injury may knock him out for the season:

http://dc.sbnation.com/2010/8/31/166...ha-knee-injury

Quote Originally Posted by enick66 View Post
    According to this article, Quinn's knee injury may knock him out for the season:

http://dc.sbnation.com/2010/8/31/166...ha-knee-injury
    I certainly hope not. But, if true, terrible break for him. He seems like a tough kid though and I have no doubt that he will come back full force. I would absolutely love to have Quinn on board for 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by enick66 View Post
    Quinn's knee injury may knock him out for the season:
    MRI results are pending:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...083103640.html

Hopefully, the MRI will be negative, but even if his ligaments are torn, I want him in Durham.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    MRI results are pending:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...083103640.html

Hopefully, the MRI will be negative, but even if his ligaments are torn, I want him in Durham.
    Agreed. I really hope he doesn't have to sit out a year though. He really had a chance to do something special on this Oak Hill squad...