Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SEC Tourney

SEC Tourney

Forgive me if this was talked about elsewhere, but there is some scary/crazy stuff happening at the SEC Tournament in Atlanta. In the middle of the overtime of a quarterfinal game between Alabama and Mississippi State, a thunderstorm or possibly tornado hit the Georgia Dome, ripping a hole in the ceiling, tearing panels off the side, and causing support cables to sway disturbingly. The game was delayed for an hour before the two teams came back on the court to play the final three minutes of overtime.

The nightcap, between Kentucky and Georgia, was postponed until tomorrow.

Word now is that the Georgia Dome is considered unsafe to resume play in, and the only nearby venue available is Georgia Tech's court, where games will be held tomorrow. Only problem is that GaTech's place only has 1/4 of the seats of the Georgia Dome. Kentucky's fan contingent alone is more than double the arena's capacity.

Oh, and there's also the little matter of the Georgia/Kentucky winner having to play a double header game later in the day.

Kentucky fans are predictably irate, not without cause but I'm not sure who they can reasonably be mad at. No doubt they'll pick a target.

Here's a report with pictures filed by a Sporting News blogger in Atlanta.

Wild and crazy stuff.

Unhappy More to come

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post
    Forgive me if this was talked about elsewhere, but there is some scary/crazy stuff happening at the SEC Tournament in Atlanta. In the middle of the overtime of a quarterfinal game between Alabama and Mississippi State, a thunderstorm or possibly tornado hit the Georgia Dome, ripping a hole in the ceiling, tearing panels off the side, and causing support cables to sway disturbingly. The game was delayed for an hour before the two teams came back on the court to play the final three minutes of overtime.

The nightcap, between Kentucky and Georgia, was postponed until tomorrow.

Word now is that the Georgia Dome is considered unsafe to resume play in, and the only nearby venue available is Georgia Tech's court, where games will be held tomorrow. Only problem is that GaTech's place only has 1/4 of the seats of the Georgia Dome. Kentucky's fan contingent alone is more than double the arena's capacity.

Oh, and there's also the little matter of the Georgia/Kentucky winner having to play a double header game later in the day.

Kentucky fans are predictably irate, not without cause but I'm not sure who they can reasonably be mad at. No doubt they'll pick a target.

Wild and crazy stuff.
    The scenes are pretty wild downtown. TV reports confirmed that windows were popping everywhere, including CNN, Centennial Park, etc... Local TV crews are showing metal debris, windows, and stuff that was sucked out of hotels/offices. One set of converted lofts collapsed. Lots of cleanup going on.

I hope EJam, Jason, Karl, Wilson, and the rest of the Atl DBR Mafia are doing alright. Jason: how's your office?

The good news is that the heavy rain that preceded the tornado (that's what most folks are calling it) drove everyone indoors, which probably reduced the potential for injury. So far, NO ONE is reported killed.

Bad News: there's a NASTY line of storms headed for the Atlanta metro area in the next couple of hours.

Oh yeah: Next year's ACC tourney is scheduled to be here in Atlanta.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Exclamation Update

Here's the CNN link to the Atlanta tornado damage.

Hopefully, no one was killed. The loft collapse is still being worked on.

Lavabe

The Roof, The Roof...

I would have been running like a wild chicken trying to get out of there!!

I'm very glad everyone made it out safely however I really think Alabama lost their momentum because of it. I was kind of Bummed because I would like to see Alabama go deep!!

Ga Dome

Wild and crazy stuff.
    Their target-Duke(and Laettner, of course) 'cuz we get all the calls
    Last edited by Carlos; 03-15-2008 at 12:53 PM.

From the link

A flooded staircase at the GWCC.

North Georgia gets tornadoes every single March...I've wondered for years if Atlanta's a good place to have March events. More is coming today.

I was at the symphony, discreetly loading MSU-Bama updates on my cellphone under my program. I couldn't understand what on earth could have happened that the game was "delayed." I was afraid a bomb.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    North Georgia gets tornadoes every single March...I've wondered for years if Atlanta's a good place to have March events. More is coming today.

I was at the symphony, discreetly loading MSU-Bama updates on my cellphone under my program. I couldn't understand what on earth could have happened that the game was "delayed." I was afraid a bomb.
    Yeah, I'm not going to be online for the next two hours. We're in a watchbox area, and it's not looking good out there.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Just heard on ESPN that only teams, family members, and people with credentials will be allowed into the games today. So, if your a fan you just spent around $1500 dollars for nothing (hotel, tickets, etc...)!

"Kentucky fans are predictably irate, not without cause but I'm not sure who they can reasonably be mad at. No doubt they'll pick a target."

This would never have happened if Tubby hadn't allowed recruiting to slip.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    To be honest, this is the first tornado to hit Atlanta CITY in quite some time. As Atlanta has spread out further, the probability that someone will be affected by a tornado has shot up. The Dunwoody tornadoes hit some 10 years ago in April. Historically, from 1953 - 1995, Cobb hasn't received tornadoes every March; April is somewhat higher. The deadliest day of tornadoes to hit Cobb has been in ... NOVEMBER!! There was a stretch, back in 70's, when tornadoes struck Atlanta in March.

St. Louis lies in a tornado alley, and I can recall one tornado hitting within a couple of miles of us in the county (when we lived there). IIRC, Nashville had a few of them as well a in the last 10 years.

This middle round of storms today brought tornadoes north of us, doing "LOTS" of damage to Cartersville, Polk, and Bartow counties. So far, reports are of two-four deaths from today's storms.

Damage to the Georgia World Congress Ctr is estimated at $100 million. Several of the torches at Centennial Olympic Park have been toppled. Rooftop damage to CNN Bldg/Omni. Cabbagetown damage too.

The only good news is that our water supply is rising in Lake Alatoona and Lake Lanier.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 03-15-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: death reports

Any of y'all in the line of the storms, please stay safe. After looking at the pictures, thank god no one of killed. I know we love our basketball, but man lives are much more important. I am not sure why any fan would be ticked because their aren't enough seats. That is just to shallow for words.

Well, Kentucky won't have to worry about that doubleheader. Cats lose to the lowly Georgia Bulldogs.

Fans on the Kentucky board are discussing how this will affect their tourney seeding.

Oh, Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post
    Well, Kentucky won't have to worry about that doubleheader. Cats lose to the lowly Georgia Bulldogs.

Fans on the Kentucky board are discussing how this will affect their tourney seeding.

Oh, Kentucky.
    Did anyone see the ending? With a Georgia player on the free throw line shooting the 2nd of 2 free throws to attempt to put them up 3, a Kentucky player, thinking he had a lane violation, swatted the free throw. So, he received a technical, and Georgia got 2 more free throws to ice the game (made 1/2).

I've never seen anyone swat a free throw like that...probably one of the more boneheaded plays I've seen. It's possible that game may have cost them a tourney bid.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Sec

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Did anyone see the ending? With a Georgia player on the free throw line shooting the 2nd of 2 free throws to attempt to put them up 3, a Kentucky player, thinking he had a lane violation, swatted the free throw. So, he received a technical, and Georgia got 2 more free throws to ice the game (made 1/2).

I've never seen anyone swat a free throw like that...probably one of the more boneheaded plays I've seen. It's possible that game may have cost them a tourney bid.
    Don't we hope so...(just trying for a little schadenfreude on an otherwise crappy day )

How 'bout them Hawgs?!

What a game! Stephen Hill is probably the last person I would've chosen to take the game-winning shot (his only 2 pts of the game), but the shot went in. I like their chances in the SEC championship game.

Did this hurt Tennessee's shot at a one seed?

This probably gives UNC the #1 seed in the East even if they lose to Clemson. This has not been a good day.

i think we now have 5 1 seeds -- unc, ucla, memphis, tennessee and the winner of kansas/texas. whichever 2 get paired with each other are going to be ripped. ucla and memphis won't be the 4th 1. here's to hoping that unc loses tomorrow and drops to the dreaded 4th 1 and gets paired with the big 12 winner.

I think they definitely lose Charlotte. Lots at stake tomorrow--I think late losses in your conference tournament do hurt you if the other top prospects win.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i think we now have 5 1 seeds -- unc, ucla, memphis, tennessee and the winner of kansas/texas. whichever 2 get paired with each other are going to be ripped. ucla and memphis won't be the 4th 1. here's to hoping that unc loses tomorrow and drops to the dreaded 4th 1 and gets paired with the big 12 winner.
    I think under your scenario the Big 12 winner would be a 1 seed over Tennessee.