Page 45 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Coming out of high school he (Kyle) would have been darn close (to being a lottery pick).
    Not likely. Kyle was the #5 or #6 recruit in the class. Tough to translate that into lottery status overnight. Worth noting that some kids are highly ranked coming out of high school but do not have the kind of athleticism or physical makeup (size especially) that translates well to the NBA. I can imagine Kyle falling into that group and his NBA stock not being all that high coming out of high school.

-Jason "wait, is this is a thread about Rivers... oops!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So, I had to share a funny story with all ya'll.

A Duke-loving friend called me yesterday to check on a rumor he heard. He said another Duke buddy had told him that Rivers would be on campus and giving Duke a "silent verbal" this week. My friend wanted to see if I had heard anything.

I said to him -- "Yes, the talk is that Rivers will attend the team banquet. But are you saying that it is a sure-thing that he will give Duke a silent verbal?"

"Yup, that is what I heard," he said.

I pondered for a moment and said, "Who would have this information? Is a promise of a silent verbal any different than a silent verbal itself? The Duke coaches would not know in advance that Rivers would give a silent verbal, would they? Is Rivers telling people he is going to give a silent verbal? What is a silent verbal worth, anyway?"

My friend was quiet for a moment and then said, "uhhh, yeah. It sounds funny to me too. Nevermind."

I impart this story as a way of heading off what will probably be a flurry of rumors and questions about Rivers and Duke after the banquet. The kid will make his announcement when he is ready, probably in the fall. And any rumor you hear-- take a moment to think about how it could possibly be true.

--Jason "recruiting... ain't it fun?!?!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I read somewhere that Rivers wanted to commit before the start of his senior year. Can someone confirm or deny this? Why do I think that?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Is a silent verbal really silent if people are talking about it?

I agree that it is all silly and speculative to talk about anything until it comes straight from the kids own mouth to the rest of the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not likely. Kyle was the #5 or #6 recruit in the class. Tough to translate that into lottery status overnight. Worth noting that some kids are highly ranked coming out of high school but do not have the kind of athleticism or physical makeup (size especially) that translates well to the NBA. I can imagine Kyle falling into that group and his NBA stock not being all that high coming out of high school.

-Jason "wait, is this is a thread about Rivers... oops!" Evans
    ...which is why I said: "darn close"

Actually, one of the biggest compliments of Singler coming out of high school was his NBA ready form, how he had already developed a number of ways to score and could defend and play multiple positions. Regardless, I digress.

Does anyone know when we can expect the next addition to Austin's diary? Or - what I'm really going after - an announcement as to when he'll decide? I seem to remember reading he would decide before the beginning of his senior basketball season. Is that still the case?

Consider this...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, I had to share a funny story with all ya'll.

A Duke-loving friend called me yesterday to check on a rumor he heard. He said another Duke buddy had told him that Rivers would be on campus and giving Duke a "silent verbal" this week. My friend wanted to see if I had heard anything.

I said to him -- "Yes, the talk is that Rivers will attend the team banquet. But are you saying that it is a sure-thing that he will give Duke a silent verbal?"

"Yup, that is what I heard," he said.

I pondered for a moment and said, "Who would have this information? Is a promise of a silent verbal any different than a silent verbal itself? The Duke coaches would not know in advance that Rivers would give a silent verbal, would they? Is Rivers telling people he is going to give a silent verbal? What is a silent verbal worth, anyway?"

My friend was quiet for a moment and then said, "uhhh, yeah. It sounds funny to me too. Nevermind."

I impart this story as a way of heading off what will probably be a flurry of rumors and questions about Rivers and Duke after the banquet. The kid will make his announcement when he is ready, probably in the fall. And any rumor you hear-- take a moment to think about how it could possibly be true.

--Jason "recruiting... ain't it fun?!?!" Evans
    Great point about rumors. Saying that, I would like to point out the situation with Kyrie's recruitment. I could be wrong but I thought I remembered hearing that Kyrie gave a "silent" verbal to Coach K and the staff when he came to Duke for his Official visit. I used the term silent because he didn't want anyone to say anything until he visited Kentucky out of respect for Rod Strickland. If this was true, then Austin could potentially do the same thing in which he could commit to the staff but asked that they keep it quiet until he is ready to officially announce it. Again, I'm not trying to encourage the spread of rampant rumors; but rather, I wanted to try and give my take on the "silent" verbal concept. The bottom line, though, is that until Austin makes his commitment official to whichever school he decides and signs a letter of intent, anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Great point about rumors. Saying that, I would like to point out the situation with Kyrie's recruitment. I could be wrong but I thought I remembered hearing that Kyrie gave a "silent" verbal to Coach K and the staff when he came to Duke for his Official visit. I used the term silent because he didn't want anyone to say anything until he visited Kentucky out of respect for Rod Strickland. If this was true, then Austin could potentially do the same thing in which he could commit to the staff but asked that they keep it quiet until he is ready to officially announce it. Again, I'm not trying to encourage the spread of rampant rumors; but rather, I wanted to try and give my take on the "silent" verbal concept. The bottom line, though, is that until Austin makes his commitment official to whichever school he decides and signs a letter of intent, anything can happen.
    isn't this what HB did with UNC when roy when to visit him?

John Galt/Kyle's possible draft status coming out of HS

Not to completely side-track the thread, but I think the proposition that Kyle would have been "darn-close" to being a top 10 pick coming out of HS is, to put it mildly, absurd.

First of all, he wasn't eligible for the draft coming of out of HS -- his class was among those who had to wait at least a year.

And, looking at the first draft he could have been in (2008), I think he would have barely cracked the first round, unlikely to have been taken anywhere before #29, if that.

Here's the order of that draft. Where does one realistically see Kyle (at the time a 6-8 PF, who had not shown any SF skills, other than being a decent outside shooter) going in this draft? I can't see how he would have gone before Donte Greene.

2008 NBA Draft
    1. Derrick Rose (Fr- same class as Kyle)
    2. Michael Beasley (same class as Kyle)
    3. OJ Mayo (same class as Kyle)
    4. Russell Westbrook, So
    5. Kevin Love, Fr (same class as Kyle)
    6. Danilo Gallinari
    7. Eric Gordon (same class as Kyle)
    8. Joe Alexander
    9. DJ Augustin
    10. Brook Lopez
    11. Jerryd Bayless, Fr (same class as Kyle)
    12. Jason Thompson 6-10 PF Rider
    13. Brandon Rush
    14. Anthony Randolph, Fr (same class as Kyle)
    15. Robin Lopez
    16. Marreese Speights
    17. Roy Hibbert
    18. JaVale McGee 7-0 C Nevada
    19. JJ Hickson (same class as Kyle)
    20. Alexis Ajinca 7-0 PF/C France
    21. Ryan Anderson
    22. Courtney Lee
    23. Kosta Koufos 7-0 C Ohio St., Fr. (same class as Kyle)
    24. Serge Ibaka
    25. Nicolas Batum
    26. George Hill
    27. Darrell Arthur
    28. Donte Greene 6-9 SF Syr. Fr. (same class as Kyle)
    29. Detroit DJ White
    30. Boston JR Giddens.

And, just for fun, assume Kyle had been eligible out of HS and gone in the 2007 NBA draft?

Who in the top 20 could be realistically been taken before?

2007 NBA Draft:
    1. Greg Oden
    2. Kevin Durant
    3. Al Horford
    4. Mike Conley
    5. Jeff Green
    6. Yi Jianlian
    7. Corey Brewer
    8. Brandan Wright
    9. Joakim Noah
    10. Spencer Hawes
    11. Acie Law
    12. Thaddeus Young
    13. Julian Wright
    14. Al Thornton
    15. Rodney Stuckey
    16. Nick Young
    17. Sean Williams
    18. Marco Belinelli
    19. Javaris Crittenton
    20. Jason Smith 7-0 PF Colorado St.
    21. Daequan Cook
    22. Jared Dudley
    23. Wilson Chandler 6-7 SF DePaul
    24. Rudy Fernandez
    25. Morris Almond 6-6 SG Rice
    26. Aaron Brooks
    27. Arron Afflalo
    28. Tiago Splitter 6-11 PF Brazil
    29. Alando Tucker
    30. Petteri Koponen 6-4 PG Finland.

Admittedly, that draft got a little odd in the last 5-8 picks of the first round (Jared Dudley at 22 and Alando Tucker at 29, for example). But, I find it noteworthy to look at some of the guys who slipped into the 2nd round that I find it hard to believe Kyle would have gone ahead of coming out of HS, such as Marcus Williams (#33), Nick Fazekas (#34), Big Baby Davis (335), Jermareo Davidson (#36) and Duke's own Josh McRoberts (#37).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Coming out of high school he would have been darn close..
    Actually, I doubt it. In the 2007 draft, the following college guys would have certainly gone ahead of Singler:

Oden
    Durant
    Horford
    Conley
    Jianlian

And from his high school class alone, the following guys would have been drafted ahead of him:
    Mayo
    Love
    Gordon
    Beasley

So that's, at least, nine guys going ahead of Singler. And that doesn't include guys like Bayless, Patterson, Hawes, Noah, Law, Rose, Thornton, Young, Wright, and others who may very well have gone ahead of him as well.

I don't know exactly where Singler would have gone, but I would be very surprised if he would have been a lottery pick had he been allowed to go straight from high school.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Actually, I doubt it. In the 2007 draft, the following college guys would have certainly gone ahead of Singler:

Oden
    Durant
    Horford
    Conley
    Jianlian

And from his high school class alone, the following guys would have been drafted ahead of him:
    Mayo
    Love
    Gordon
    Beasley

So that's, at least, nine guys going ahead of Singler. And that doesn't include guys like Bayless, Patterson, Hawes, Noah, Law, Rose, Thornton, Young, Wright, and others who may very well have gone ahead of him as well.

I don't know exactly where Singler would have gone, but I would be very surprised if he would have been a lottery pick had he been allowed to go straight from high school.
    Conley has proven to be not that good, but we can't change what people thought of him then. This is actually a case where the rankings were appropriate for college. He was a top 5-10 player in that class for college, but he was not likely NBA ready at that time. Those guys in his class are more custom made for the NBA. However, as I have stated in the past, that is because the NBA is dumb and cares more about highlights than wins/good basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

make this a sign

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    make this a sign
    If any place where I live in Texas (let alone the Hill Country, which includes Austin) looked like this, I wouldn't be trying so hard to find a home in Asheville.

ricks

Weekly Whispers 4/22/2010

Hot off the (word)press.

Our guess is attending the banquet this weekend will speed up the timetable for River's inevitable commitment to Duke.

It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Vasherized View Post
    Hot off the (word)press.

Our guess is attending the banquet this weekend will speed up the timetable for River's inevitable commitment to Duke.

Key words highlighted.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Vasherized View Post
    Hot off the (word)press.

Thank-you Vasherized for sending us your insight and what you've heard; please keep them coming. I know there are a lot of people who are still stung by the HB choice of UNC when it supposedly appeared like we had him; but that's life. You move on and go to the next play. FWIW, I do think the Rivers situation is different from HB and I see more promising signs from Austin possbily choosing Duke than we did from HB at this point in the recruiting process. We have the recruiting momentum that began during the season and is now backed by a NC; and I honestly don't believe Ol Roy or anyone else can talk him out of choosing Duke. Saying that, if Austin decided to go somewhere, so be it...we move on because we'd still have a great program, a great coach, and a great team.
    Last edited by Class of '94; 04-22-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: grammar

pfr,

maybe a better word choice would have been ... "Our prescient wisdom ordains that Rivers shall become a Blue Devil"?

Perhaps you like your recruiting nuggets in a more formal Victorian style?

We're open to any and all input.

class of '94.

You're welcome. We'll continue to report these intentionally vague recruiting mysteries as they unfold.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Not to completely side-track the thread, but I think the proposition that Kyle would have been "darn-close" to being a top 10 pick coming out of HS is, to put it mildly, absurd.

First of all, he wasn't eligible for the draft coming of out of HS -- his class was among those who had to wait at least a year.

And, looking at the first draft he could have been in (2008), I think he would have barely cracked the first round, unlikely to have been taken anywhere before #29, if that.

Here's the order of that draft. Where does one realistically see Kyle (at the time a 6-8 PF, who had not shown any SF skills, other than being a decent outside shooter) going in this draft? I can't see how he would have gone before Donte Greene.

2008 NBA Draft
    1. Derrick Rose (Fr- same class as Kyle)
    2. Michael Beasley (same class as Kyle)
    3. OJ Mayo (same class as Kyle)
    4. Russell Westbrook, So
    5. Kevin Love, Fr (same class as Kyle)
    6. Danilo Gallinari
    7. Eric Gordon (same class as Kyle)
    8. Joe Alexander
    9. DJ Augustin
    10. Brook Lopez
    11. Jerryd Bayless, Fr (same class as Kyle)
    12. Jason Thompson 6-10 PF Rider
    13. Brandon Rush
    14. Anthony Randolph, Fr (same class as Kyle)
    15. Robin Lopez
    16. Marreese Speights
    17. Roy Hibbert
    18. JaVale McGee 7-0 C Nevada
    19. JJ Hickson (same class as Kyle)
    20. Alexis Ajinca 7-0 PF/C France
    21. Ryan Anderson
    22. Courtney Lee
    23. Kosta Koufos 7-0 C Ohio St., Fr. (same class as Kyle)
    24. Serge Ibaka
    25. Nicolas Batum
    26. George Hill
    27. Darrell Arthur
    28. Donte Greene 6-9 SF Syr. Fr. (same class as Kyle)
    29. Detroit DJ White
    30. Boston JR Giddens.

And, just for fun, assume Kyle had been eligible out of HS and gone in the 2007 NBA draft?

Who in the top 20 could be realistically been taken before?

2007 NBA Draft:
    1. Greg Oden
    2. Kevin Durant
    3. Al Horford
    4. Mike Conley
    5. Jeff Green
    6. Yi Jianlian
    7. Corey Brewer
    8. Brandan Wright
    9. Joakim Noah
    10. Spencer Hawes
    11. Acie Law
    12. Thaddeus Young
    13. Julian Wright
    14. Al Thornton
    15. Rodney Stuckey
    16. Nick Young
    17. Sean Williams
    18. Marco Belinelli
    19. Javaris Crittenton
    20. Jason Smith 7-0 PF Colorado St.
    21. Daequan Cook
    22. Jared Dudley
    23. Wilson Chandler 6-7 SF DePaul
    24. Rudy Fernandez
    25. Morris Almond 6-6 SG Rice
    26. Aaron Brooks
    27. Arron Afflalo
    28. Tiago Splitter 6-11 PF Brazil
    29. Alando Tucker
    30. Petteri Koponen 6-4 PG Finland.

Admittedly, that draft got a little odd in the last 5-8 picks of the first round (Jared Dudley at 22 and Alando Tucker at 29, for example). But, I find it noteworthy to look at some of the guys who slipped into the 2nd round that I find it hard to believe Kyle would have gone ahead of coming out of HS, such as Marcus Williams (#33), Nick Fazekas (#34), Big Baby Davis (335), Jermareo Davidson (#36) and Duke's own Josh McRoberts (#37).
    While I generally agree that he wouldn't have been a high pick coming out of HS, I do know from a very good source that Portland really liked him in 2008. I heard they would have seriously considered him at their 13th pick that year. Had he come out his game would have been picked apart more, etc so maybe they would have soured on him but I know that at least one team would have given him a serious lottery look. Would they have drafted him, who knows but it was possible.

One of the reasons the NBA 1 year rule was put into place was due to it being extremely difficult to judge high school talent. Before Kyle stepped foot on campus i heard people comparing him to Larry Bird.

In high school Kyle was more athletic then most of the players he went against. The players who could match him athletically or exceeded his ability didn't have near the basketball IQ so he could take over games.

Even though Singler had a very good freshman year at Duke...you could tell that he didn't jump overly well, he wasn't fast in the open court and he didn't have an extremely quick first step making it hard for him to create his own shot.

Kyle was and is a gamer but after seeing him play against college players the NBA quickly felt his potential was limited.

It isn't like K held him back...he just looked more like an NBA player in high school against those kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    Even though Singler had a very good freshman year at Duke...you could tell that he didn't jump overly well, he wasn't fast in the open court and he didn't have an extremely quick first step making it hard for him to create his own shot.
    Maybe because he put on 20 pounds and was playing PF?