Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I dunno about "terrific." It is a good class but really only includes one top tier player. I think it is certainly one of the 10 best classes in the land, but probably not among the top 5. When you consider what Florida is likely to lose and what they are likely to bring back (none of their top 4 players and only 2 guys who saw meaningful minutes this season), it is not the kind of class that will keep Florida in the Top 25.

If Kentucky is out of the picture, I would submit that the only school left on PP's list who looks to be a Top 25 team next year is Duke.

-Jason "with a top team and playing time available, one would think PP would have an easy choice-- we'll see" Evans
    I, as many of you, am desperate to wish PP choosing Duke. However, MANY people from KY or FL forums seem to believe that PP's florida lean (assuming that Billy D stays put in FL). Of course it is nothing official, but I guess there are reasons for so many people to believe this way. As much as I would love to have PP in Duke, I am preparing for the worst.

I have never waivered in my thinking that Duke had a good chance of getting Patrick Patterson. The happenings at Kentucky were expected by some and yes, it helps as does McRobert's making it official. Yes, he will sign an agent. If PP does choose three schools, look for it to be Duke, Florida and Virginia.I am not certain he will trim the list at all. Also, this will go to the very end, just as Duke had hoped it would.

Let me make this clear. I think Duke is in good shape.

Blue Devil Nation
    Last edited by watzone; 03-22-2007 at 09:18 PM.

When deos Patterson have to make up his mind?
    DukeDevilDeb

I tried, and failed, to edit the extremely confusing subject line of this thread. (The title sounds like PP is being cited/quoted as having said something on the subject of JMcR going pro). Anyway, I failed to edit it b/c I couldn't figure out how. Sorry about that.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I, as many of you, am desperate to wish PP choosing Duke. However, MANY people from KY or FL forums seem to believe that PP's florida lean (assuming that Billy D stays put in FL). Of course it is nothing official, but I guess there are reasons for so many people to believe this way. As much as I would love to have PP in Duke, I am preparing for the worst.
    I'm more confident now that Kentucky is removed from the picture (more or less). Not just because odds improve from 1-in-4 to 1-in-3. But because now, distance from home potentially works in our favor. Durham is only an hour farther away from Huntington than Charlottesville, but it is four hours farther away than Lexington. Before, if distance from home was an important factor, Kentucky had a clear advantage.

Two things

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I dunno about "terrific." It is a good class but really only includes one top tier player. I think it is certainly one of the 10 best classes in the land, but probably not among the top 5. When you consider what Florida is likely to lose and what they are likely to bring back (none of their top 4 players and only 2 guys who saw meaningful minutes this season), it is not the kind of class that will keep Florida in the Top 25.

If Kentucky is out of the picture, I would submit that the only school left on PP's list who looks to be a Top 25 team next year is Duke.

-Jason "with a top team and playing time available, one would think PP would have an easy choice-- we'll see" Evans
    1. I think you are understating the amount of talent Florida's going to have back and coming in, FWIW. They'll be young and relying on a lot of guys in new roles, obviously, but they've got top 25 talent for sure and a pretty darn good coach.

2. It's early in the preseason Jason. We may not be a top 25 team by the time next season tips.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I tried, and failed, to edit the extremely confusing subject line of this thread. (The title sounds like PP is being cited/quoted as having said something on the subject of JMcR going pro). Anyway, I failed to edit it b/c I couldn't figure out how. Sorry about that.
    Do I always have to pick up the slack for you, big guy?

8. Florida

I am sure that that PP is also waiting to see what Joakim Noah or Corey Brewer does at the end of the season. I am not sure what their draft stock is, but if either one of them goes pro, I think Florida has the edge to land PP. PP had a great visit at Florida.

Pat, if you're reading please come to Durham !!!!!! The Devils need you, man

Not a sign either way.

Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    If the coaches knew McBob was leaving, they have conveyed that to Patterson. Is it a bad sign that he has not signed/declared?
    Even if the coaching staff knew Josh was leaving, they probably wouldn't pass that information on to a recruit. First, it's Josh's decision to announce or keep things quiet. Second, no matter how sure you are a player is leaving, when they are an important part of your team's success, you don't burn bridges. In my experience, one of the fastest ways to make up the mind of someone considering leaving a team is to make that information public. A decision that was once personal, suddenly becomes a public test of credibility.
    Last edited by mph; 03-23-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Patrick Paterson Is A Need. This Kid Is A Monster. Atleast The Game I Went To He Had A 6ft 9 Kid On Hiom And Tht Kid Seemed Like He Wasnt Even There. Now Tht Josh Is Gone We Need Him. Dont Forget About Singler Guys Though He Aint To Bad Himself

????

Quote Originally Posted by JJweMISSu View Post
    Patrick Paterson Is A Need. This Kid Is A Monster. Atleast The Game I Went To He Had A 6ft 9 Kid On Hiom And Tht Kid Seemed Like He Wasnt Even There. Now Tht Josh Is Gone We Need Him. Dont Forget About Singler Guys Though He Aint To Bad Himself
    What's up with the all the capital letters...

JJwemissu,

What the hell do you have Hurley coming off the bench for?

I saw PP play this year in person, and the OJ show was in full effect.

That being said, I think that he probably run the floor better than Shelden or Elton did... he runs the floor well and really fills in the lanes on the break. His high school team was a real run and gun show...

however...

let's not forget prior to the new juice, he shouldered his team to two state titles ...

I think they school that shouldn't be counted out at this point also is WVU... while it certainly looks like one of the big dogs is going to win, word is WVU is the darkhorse he may decide on in the end... he would be a West Virginia legend if he stayed home

Patrick idea

Think this might work....????

Reading the Tea Leaves on Patrick Patterson

These quotes from Patrick Patterson are taken from an article I found off of Watzone's blog (myblogdevils.eponym.com). Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but these quotes HAVE to be in Duke's favor. Plus, Patterson recently was quoted as saying how much he appreciated and recognized Coach K's honesty.

Looks like decision day is about two weeks away, regardless of this Florida/Kentucky/Donovan stuff.

>>>>>>>>>>>
    Patterson, who will be playing for the East team, was unexpectedly entered into the slam dunk contest after he signed up only for the skills competition and also didn't make it past the first round.

After the game Patterson, out of Huntington (W.Va.) High School, said he would still consider UK, depending on whom Barnhart hires to replace Smith.

The 6-8 power forward is also being recruited by Florida and has considered the possibility that Barnhart will try to hire current Gators head coach Billy Donovan, a former UK assistant.

"I've thought about it a lot," Patterson said. "I haven't talked to Billy about it (recently).

"The last time I talked to him he said he wasn't going to go. But things can change. Tubby said he wasn't going to leave and he left so I've still got to talk to him (Donovan) about it."

Patterson plans to return home after the game, discuss with his parents what college he would like to eliminate and plans on making his final decision in the second week of April.

"I may wait to see who they hire or if coach Donovan leaves (for UK)," Patterson said. "I'm going to try to wait and see who they hire, but I'm not going to wait forever because the second week of April I'm going to get it over with."
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Regardless of what happens, Patrick really seems like a thoughtful, intelligent kid, with good parents and with his priorities in order about this whole process.

I guess with things up in the air at UK and also (b/c of the rumors) at UF, Duke looks like the steadier ship. Maybe that will sway PP --- Duke looks like the less stressful choice...

Donovan to UK implications for PP

Anyone have any thoughts on the Donovan to UK move affecting Patterson?

As I recall (before Tubby left) Florida and UK were rumored to be fighting for #1 on his list and we were a close 3rd. With Tubby gone, one would have to imagine it would be between us and Florida, and if it was true that UK and UF were battling for the top spot, then it would seem UF & Donovan would be his #1 choice (even if it is barely so). You think its possible he might just follow Donovan wherever he goes/stays?

Also, I just tried to find a reference from Throaty's handbook, but could not find this one: "Why don't we ever recruit true centers. We always seem to start 6-8 to 6-10 power forwards at the 5 spot." (see brand, boozer, sheld, mcbob)

silk

I hope he doesn't refer to Coach K as "Mike". Please come to Duke, Patrick!

Not just possible . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Donovan to UK move affecting Patterson?

As I recall (before Tubby left) Florida and UK were rumored to be fighting for #1 on his list and we were a close 3rd. With Tubby gone, one would have to imagine it would be between us and Florida, and if it was true that UK and UF were battling for the top spot, then it would seem UF & Donovan would be his #1 choice (even if it is barely so). You think its possible he might just follow Donovan wherever he goes/stays?

Also, I just tried to find a reference from Throaty's handbook, but could not find this one: "Why don't we ever recruit true centers. We always seem to start 6-8 to 6-10 power forwards at the 5 spot." (see brand, boozer, sheld, mcbob)

silk
    I think it's highly likely. I think Patrick's going to end up whereever Billy is.

That being said, I have a hard time believing Donovan's already agreed to a contract with UK with his team chasing history and all this weekend.

I also think Donovan's as likely to go to the Heat as he is to go to UK. Billy coaching the Heat would open Patrick's recruitment up, but likely much, much too late for him to go anywhere else.