View Poll Results: Who had the best lines in Airplane?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny

8 30.77%
  • The Jive Dudes

2 7.69%
  • Rex Kramer

0 0%
  • Steve McCroskey

6 23.08%
  • Roger Murdock

0 0%
  • Captain Oveur

2 7.69%
  • Dr. Rumack

2 7.69%
  • Ted Striker

2 7.69%
  • Other

4 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who had the best lines in Airplane?

I had to think about this, probably more than I had to think about the Bill Murray poll. The obvious first choices for me were Captain Oveur or Dr. Rumack, but after careful consideration I had to go with Johnny. He delivers nothing but one liners throughout the greater part, if not all, of the movie. Each one of them is hysterical. I think he's the most underrated of the group and has the best lines.

Johnny - "Where did you get that dress, it's awful, and those shoes and that coat, jeeeeez!"

Talking Other

I went with other, and I can't even quote it.

It's whatever Barbara Billingsley (the Beaver's mom) said to the Jive Dudes. The Jive Dudes didn't deliver the punch line; the Beave's mom did.

I went with Johnny under the assumption that he was the one who said "Heath, Nick, Jarrod, the barn's on fire!" But it's been over 10 years since I last watched it, so my memory is a little fuzzy about the names.

Come on folks... McCroskey all the way!

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I went with other, and I can't even quote it.

It's whatever Barbara Billingsley (the Beaver's mom) said to the Jive Dudes. The Jive Dudes didn't deliver the punch line; the Beave's mom did.
    I went with other also - I love it when the stewardess asks if anyone speaks Jive and June Cleaver says I do. It cracks me up everytime I think of it.

I also like the overhead announcer at the airport. Flight ? (can't remember the number) is now arriving at gate 14, gate 16, gate 18, etc.

"Over Mucho Grande?"

"No. I don't think I'll ever get over Mucho Grande." (sp).

Also, from Airplane II (or was it one?):

Striker: “We’re coming in low.

The Girl: “Low? Is that dangerous?”

Striker (dramatically): “No. It’s just something you have to do…………..when you land.”

little kids acting all grown up

"Would you like cream and sugar?"

"No, thank you. I like mine black. Like my men."

Airplane II:

"We're gonna have to blow the computer."

"You mean, blow R.O.C.?"

[Smiley face on R.O.C.]

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    "Would you like cream and sugar?"

"No, thank you. I like mine black. Like my men."
    Winner! That one always kills me. I love the look on the boy's face when she says that. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Winner! That one always kills me. I love the look on the boy's face when she says that. Priceless.
    Couldn't agree more. There might not be a more unexpected line in movie history--just brilliant.

I must agree.

But as far as scenes go, I have to go with when Striker "teaches" the natives to play basketball. "I started them off on basic, rudimentary skills, and before long, they were really getting the hang of it." (as they are doing 360 double dunks, etc.)

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. There might not be a more unexpected line in movie history--just brilliant.
    Sorry to hijack but for me the most unexpected line in comedy history comes from American Pie: "What's my name? Say my name b----!"

And the answer is...

You're all right! Airplane! is easily one of the most quotable, delightful, enjoyable, wonderful, hilarious movies of our times. I work with a guy, we'll call him Dingus, and he doesn't think the movie is fun at all. We'd drop lines from the movie in meetings, start off the bad days talking about quitting sniffing glue and ending with quitting amphetamines, and Dingus will just sit the blank faced and clueless. "Why is everyone laughing?". So I gave him homework and told him to go watch the movie on the weekend. He did. He came back to work and said "I don't get it."

Ladies and gentlemen, Dingus.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    You're all right! Airplane! is easily one of the most quotable, delightful, enjoyable, wonderful, hilarious movies of our times. I work with a guy, we'll call him Dingus, and he doesn't think the movie is fun at all. We'd drop lines from the movie in meetings, start off the bad days talking about quitting sniffing glue and ending with quitting amphetamines, and Dingus will just sit the blank faced and clueless. "Why is everyone laughing?". So I gave him homework and told him to go watch the movie on the weekend. He did. He came back to work and said "I don't get it."

It's on par with Fletch and Office Space. How can anyone not get it? Something tells me you actually do call that guy Dingus when he's not around!

I agree with Lavabe. The Beavers mom with "Excuse me stewardess, I speak Jive" and something to the extend of "Jive as$ turkey doesn't know @#%% anyway". The fact that it was June Cleaver made it so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post

I had the exact same experience with The Onion, and a woman here at work named, well, we'll call her Lyngis.

She returned the book I gave her saying, "I didn't get it."

In hindsight, I should have known better.

-EJ

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    McCroskey just picked the wrong week to quit everything.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    Sorry to hijack but for me the most unexpected line in comedy history comes from American Pie: "What's my name? Say my name b----!"
    Um, you guys need to watch more movies! Try watching "Some Like It Hot" and see if you stand by your above statements after hearing the last line of the film.

Makes me grin just thinking about it...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

hmm... this might not be the best thread to admit that I still haven't seen this movie in its entirety...

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    hmm... this might not be the best thread to admit that I still haven't seen this movie in its entirety...
    Dingus