Criminal Minds Duke connection

So I was watching Criminal Minds a week or so ago (2 part episode about Penelope Garcia), and one of the characters in the episode I knew from somewhere else, but couldn't place him. After looking him up, I realized it was Nicolas Brendan, aka Xandar from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

However, the interesting part was when I looked up the episode and read the bio for Bailey Chase, who plays a love interest for Garcia in the episode. Here's what I saw on IMDB:

Bailey attended Duke University in Durham, North Carolina on a full athletic scholarship. He graduated in 1995 with a degree in Psychology. After graduation, Bailey moved to Los Angeles to pursue his acting career ...

Anyone know what sport he played? From his resume, looks like he's had a fair number of parts recently.

Mild Spoiler below:

Anyway, I got a kick out of it because of how my wife was so excited after his character (who was definitely nasty) got a bullet between the eyes at the end of the episode. Imagine wishing ill will on a Dukie like that!
    Last edited by Highlander; 11-27-2007 at 04:48 PM.
    "There can BE only one."

http://www.baileychase.com/Info/Articles/duke2.htm

From his website, he played football.

I'm with your wife on this one Highlander!

Finally, a thread about Criminal Minds.

Didn't realize the jerk who was feigning interest in Garcia was played by a Dukie. I couldn't stand him and now will have to work very hard to separate the character from the actor. I guess that is really a complement to the actor. Will keep my eyes open for more of this guy.

Too bad there isn't a Duke connection to one of my favorite shows now.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    http://www.baileychase.com/Info/Articles/duke2.htm

From his website, he played football.
    That's cool! Thanks for the link.

Interestingly enough, I was at that game where Chase (aka Luetgert) blocked the kick. It was my Freshman year, and we were SO CLOSE to a win over UNC that day. I remember them taking an intentional safety at the end of the game to run time off the clock. Don't remember the blocked kick, but there were a bunch that year, mostly by Ray Farmer.

That was probably the most entertaining Duke football game I've ever seen live. The best one I've ever seen live was in 1989. But I digress..
    "There can BE only one."

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Finally, a thread about Criminal Minds.
    We could always start one as I'm sure more than a few of us watch the show.

Colchar, is it me or does the writing for this program remind you of the writing for British mysteries like Waking the Dead? One of the things I enjoy about British mystery programs is you have to sit down and watch it, you can't get up walk away and be all caught up 10 seconds after coming back.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Colchar, is it me or does the writing for this program remind you of the writing for British mysteries like Waking the Dead? One of the things I enjoy about British mystery programs is you have to sit down and watch it, you can't get up walk away and be all caught up 10 seconds after coming back.
    Yes, it does. I find the writing in Criminal Minds to be far closer to British writing than it is to the usual Hollywood stuff. Then again, they do have the odd ridiculous episode (such as the ones with Gideon's nemesis which I found to be far below the level of quality I've come to expect from this show). But, generally, I find the writing to be very good and I like the format of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Yes, it does. I find the writing in Criminal Minds to be far closer to British writing than it is to the usual Hollywood stuff. Then again, they do have the odd ridiculous episode (such as the ones with Gideon's nemesis which I found to be far below the level of quality I've come to expect from this show). But, generally, I find the writing to be very good and I like the format of the show.
    Thank God someone else is seeing what I'm seeing. I don't know anyone else who watches Criminal Minds, never mind CM and British mysteries.

Likely won't get to see tonight's episode as I have some church work to do, but thank God for DVR. Will watch it over the weekend.

I really loved the character development in Derek (never mind I have a big crush on Shemar Moore so can be a little biased at times) in the episode before "Penelope". That is the only episode I have watched twice as it was soooo good the first time. The writer for that episode did an outstanding job!!

Likely won't get to see tonight's episode as I have some church work to do, but thank God for DVR. Will watch it over the weekend.
    Last night was pretty good. Frankie Muniz, who used to live in Knightdale by the way, from Malcolm in the Middle was in it.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Last night was pretty good. Frankie Muniz, who used to live in Knightdale by the way, from Malcolm in the Middle was in it.
    I did miss it. Will watch it over the weekend.

I did hear/read somewhere that he was from around here. Never got into "Malcolm in the Middle", but have been looking forward to watching him in this episode as the previews made him look a little sinister, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I finally got to see the episode today. I didn't like it as I found it to be very predictable. Though Frankie was great!

I'm a little concerned about Derek and Garcia's relationship. While they've always had underlying feelings, now I'm afraid if they get together it will be because he feels guilty that he drove her into her attackers arms. Or am I reading into that?

12. Bailey actually had a small and brief role on BtVS as well. In fact, he worked very closely with another ACC major sport athlete in season 4. A cookie for the first person who can name that actor/character.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    Bailey actually had a small and brief role on BtVS as well. In fact, he worked very closely with another ACC major sport athlete in season 4. A cookie for the first person who can name that actor/character.
    Well clearly you've referred to Marc Blucas as Riley (from Wake Forest bball). Dunno who Bailey is exactly (I don't watch CM), but I assume he was the other guy in the Initiative with Riley and the guy who now plays D.L. on Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    Bailey actually had a small and brief role on BtVS as well. In fact, he worked very closely with another ACC major sport athlete in season 4. A cookie for the first person who can name that actor/character.
    I actually started a Marc Blucas thread here several months ago when I saw him on the Top Secret episode of House last season.

15. Both correct. Bailey played Graham alongside Blucas and Leonard Roberts (D.L.) as Forrest in Maggie Walsh's Initiative. As a side note, my girlfriend actually met Bailey at a Buffy-based party and was able to impress him by discussing Duke athletics based on my own ramblings. At last my Duke sports obsession pays off (indirectly).