Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Kyle Singler's Challenge

Noticed this after the Clemson game, part of Coach K's presser afterwards:

On Kyle Singler’s performance:
    “[Through] his sense of urgency to just keep balls alive or go after balls or knock them off of somebody so that we maintained position, Kyle made a lot of plays. We’re a little bit banged up. Kyle got hit a little bit and [Clemson] went right after Nolan [Smith]. I don’t know how much were’ going to get done tomorrow. Hopefully everyone will be ready to go for Saturday night.”

You could say Kyle is fatigued and that is causing his offense to be down. He spends soooo much energy on defense and chasing down rebounds/loose balls. Sounds to me that he is also banged up. With fatigue/injuries comes less practice time which is never good. Thoughts on this? Good cause for his offensive troubles.

And before the Nolan argument that his offensive production hasn't dropped, I think it is safe to say that Kyle spends much more energy doing other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post

“[Through] his sense of urgency to just keep balls alive or go after balls or knock them off of somebody so that we maintained position, Kyle made a lot of plays. We’re a little bit banged up. Kyle got hit a little bit and [Clemson] went right after Nolan [Smith]. I don’t know how much were’ going to get done tomorrow. Hopefully everyone will be ready to go for Saturday night.”

You could say Kyle is fatigued and that is causing his offense to be down. He spends soooo much energy on defense and chasing down rebounds/loose balls. Sounds to me that he is also banged up. With fatigue/injuries comes less practice time which is never good. Thoughts on this? Good cause for his offensive troubles.

And before the Nolan argument that his offensive production hasn't dropped, I think it is safe to say that Kyle spends much more energy doing other things.
    I tend to agree with you that Kyle is so intense on defense that it hinders his offense a bit. I thought Coach made a great move putting Andre on HB midway through the second half. It may have been a bit too late for Kyle.

You've got to love the guy's intensity and heart. Here's to finding your shot Kyle!

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    I tend to agree with you that Kyle is so intense on defense that it hinders his offense a bit. I thought Coach made a great move putting Andre on HB midway through the second half. It may have been a bit too late for Kyle.

You've got to love the guy's intensity and heart. Here's to finding your shot Kyle!

Go Duke!
    Agreed in limited time I thought Andre was as good (if not better than) Kyle on Barnes. Going "small" could help us/Kyle against UNC in the ACCT.

Love Singler, but dude -- shot selection!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post

I am beginning to think there is something going on with his knee or leg- but he is playing through it. His mechanics are a tad off- everything short. He will get some rest- if he regains his stroke- Duke is a tough out like last year- if not - it will be hard to recover.

yep. i sincerely hope that he gets some much needed rest over the next week before acc tourney starts. and that KI will be suiting up.

but of course these are all just wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post
    Love Singler, but dude -- shot selection!
    I have to agree...the number of shots he takes without being set/square to the basket is phenomenal...
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I have to agree...the number of shots he takes without being set/square to the basket is phenomenal...
    To be fair- he also missed a bunch a square as you can be.

I don't think it's terribly complicated.

Singler hasn't improved from last year (which is fine, since he was already awesome last year).

Three of the four positions around him are worse than last year (and one is better).

Thus, his efficiency numbers go down.

Singler

Come on. Singler has not shot well all year. At what point do we all admit he isn't the player we thought he was? I've been an observor since 1975 and he isn't going to the next level. Period.

Y'know, I rememer threads this time last year about Jon. Why is he struggling? Will he get his shot back?

He hit some shots in the ACC final (that off the curl fade against GT was sick at the end) and that sent him on to a good enough tourney for us to win.

Kyle's offense is obviously off, but he can figure it out. The time is upon us. go Kyle, LGD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JD79 View Post
    Come on. Singler has not shot well all year. At what point do we all admit he isn't the player we thought he was? I've been an observor since 1975 and he isn't going to the next level. Period.
    What is your definition of a player? Singler was the reason Duke won a NC. His shooting mechanics are off- he is an outsanding PLAYER.

I believe this is an overstatement.
    Bob Green

Respectfully disagree. He simply does not have a high basketball IQ. He does not understand that the strength of his offensive game is not standing outside the arc and jacking up shots. His game at the college level can and will excel from 15 feet in....where he can get fouled and live at the foul line while fouling out the opposition. In four years, he has not figured that out. Admittedly, I have never been a Singler fan (people who know me, know that I have admittedly strong feelings about his play)...primarily because for all of his natural ability, he has no idea how to maximize his basketball efficiency on the offensive end.

As for the person above stating that Singler was the reason why Duke won the NC last year...all I can say is that while he played well against WVU and Butler....he was putrid against Baylor...0-10 from the field IIRC. For my money, we won because Scheyer and Smith rose to the occasion more than Singler

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Y'know, I rememer threads this time last year about Jon. Why is he struggling? Will he get his shot back?

He hit some shots in the ACC final (that off the curl fade against GT was sick at the end) and that sent him on to a good enough tourney for us to win.

Kyle's offense is obviously off, but he can figure it out. The time is upon us. go Kyle, LGD!!!

You beat me to it! I was going to mention Jon's struggles toward the end of the regular season last year. I really believe Jon was stressing because it was nearing the end of his career.

I do believe we will see the real Kyle Singler emerge...it's going to take him knocking down a key shot (like Jon did in the ACC championship game last year) and he'll be fine.

And honestly, I'm a pessimist in every area of my life except for DUKE. They've gotten me through a lot, so I will continue with the opTOEmism.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am beginning to think there is something going on with his knee or leg- but he is playing through it. His mechanics are a tad off- everything short. He will get some rest- if he regains his stroke- Duke is a tough out like last year- if not - it will be hard to recover.
    I've been thinking this as well the last few weeks, especially with Duke's habit of not disclosing injuries (how many times have we seen a player get surgery immediately following the season when we had no idea they were hurt?). He was wearing a knee brace earlier in the season which he isnt any more. Hope the week off can help get him back to health and his normal level of play.

He gets the best out of what he has but I just don't think he is as talented as previously thought. He has certainly lost confidence in his shot and I don't recall ever having alot of confidence that come crunch time he will knock it down. Scheyer was the crunch time player last year, and to some extent Nolan, not Kyle.

Can we please change the title of this thread from 'Kyle Singler's Problem' to something less whiny and unappreciative?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    Can we please change the title of this thread from 'Kyle Singler's Problem' to something less whiny and unappreciative?
    Done. In management classes I attended, it was taught to view problems as challenges.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I believe this is an overstatement.
    I believe this is an understatement.