The Official "We Love Coach G" Thread

Hey everyone,

In the spirit of the tab on the main page asking for people to express their support for Coach G by emailing her. Well, I wrote Coach G to express my support and I wanted to share that with you all. The email I wrote is below, and I hope that others can chime in show Coach G how much we want her to stay!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mar 28, 2007 3:12 PM
    Subject: You Are Duke Basketball - Please Stay!
    To: Coach G

Coach G,

My name is Donald Wine II, and I graduated from Duke in 2004. I have to admit, I didn't know much about the history of women's basketball at Duke before I got to Duke. I remember one of my first women's basketball games I watched on television was when we upset Tennessee in 1999 to reach the Final Four. Yet, when I came to Duke, I went to my first women's game, and I was immediately hooked. I loved watching our girls play with the passion, dedication and class that college basketball is all about. My roommate was one of the male practice players, and together we definitely supported you all through thick and thin. When I became a Line Monitor in 2002 and Head Line Monitor in 2003, I made it a point to identify women's basketball under the same importance as men's basketball at Duke. I attended just about every game, and I had just as much fun cheering you on to victory as I did our men. Graduating in 2004, being able to see Alana Beard, Vicki Krapohl and Iciss Tillis play for 4 years, I really identified with the women's team while I was there, and I even drove 6 hours to watch you compete valiantly in the 2003 Final Four in Atlanta. I've been all over the United States watching the girls play, and even while in law school down here at the University of Miami, I was still decked out head to toe in Duke gear to watch you all play when you came down.

See Coach G, you are our general. Everything I know about the history of Women's Basketball at Duke includes you. You are not just a big part of Duke athletics, you are a big part of Duke as well. I've been so proud to be able to see you take our program to such great heights over the past decade. I watch every Duke women's game on TV, whenever you are on. I scream at the top of my lungs during the game, and after I'm just as tired as some of the players. I cheer like a madman when we win; I agonize for days when we lose. I was so proud of this year's team for being so successful throughout the season. I was even more proud that you finally started to get the recognition that you deserve, none better than the formation of Goestenkorsopolis earlier this year. I was definitely shocked and heartbroken for the entire team after our unfortunate loss last weekend, because I know that you all worked hard and you deserved to finally crack through. Tears were shed last year after the Championship game. You would have thought that I was playing, because I root so hard for your program to win. My heart truly bleeds Blue and White, and it's because of you that the women's basketball team will remain among my favorite teams at Duke.

Coach G, it makes me proud that you have been such a big part of not only my experience while at Duke, but the Duke experience as a whole. If you were to leave Duke, I know that wherever you ended up, you would coach with the same vigor and class and success that you have brought to Duke. However, when it comes to you, I'm selfish. I don't want you to leave. Duke doesn't want you to leave. Everyone who knows me knows that very few people are more loyal to Duke and more supportive than I. I know that we are on the verge of greatness, of cracking through that ceiling and finally getting that coveted national championship. And I truly hope that you are our coach when that happens, because there is no other coach in America, in any college program, that deserves to hoist that trophy more than you do.

You are Duke Basketball, Coach Goestenkors. You are our Coach G. And I thank you for all that you have done for Duke, and for what you will continue to do for Duke. Just know that there are students and alumni that love you and want nothing more than to see you stay here at Duke for years and years and years. Pat Summitt is synonymous with Lady Vols Basketball, Geno Auriemma is synonymous with Huskies Basketball. You are Duke Basketball. Please stay, Coach G!

Warmest Regards,
    Donald Wine II
    Duke University, Trinity College Class of 2004
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Here's my email!

Hi Coach G -

Just wanted to add my support to those of many others. I've been a huge fan of the men's team for many years, but in recent years, have become more and more enamored of the women's team, because of their heart and their talent. I think you are a wonderful coach, and it would be a huge loss for Duke if we lose you. I understand you have to do what's best for you and your family, but I just wanted to know you ARE appreciated by lots of Duke fans.

On an unrelated note, I organized a Duke Club of the Triangle dinner that you spoke at your first season at Duke. And even then, I had a good feeling about you!

Congratulations on a very special and successful season and good luck to you in whatever comes next.

Of course all the fans, students, and alumni love coach G. Remember when the Lakers were after K, Brodhead was all over the news talking about how K is a thousand times more important to the university than the president, trustees, professors and students put together. Love of the fans isn't going to make a bit of difference if Texas offers her $1 million and Duke doesn't even come close to that. Do you think the fans at Texas wouldn't love G? Any human being would have to be insane not to take a doubling or tripling of salary and more years on the contract, a $600,000 or $700,000 per year raise, even an extra couple hundred thousand per year. Living in a better city like Austin and working for an AD that's a friend with mutual respect for each other and everyone else at the university, that could make G leave even if Duke offered the exact same amount as Texas. That's why it's so critical to fire Alleva before even negotiating with coach G, Duke's associate AD for womens athletics Jacki Silar can take over and match Texas' offer and the new AD and great players and recruits should be enough to get her to stay.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-29-2007 at 05:15 AM.

I can't expand further on the eloquence posted above. Please stay Coach G!!!

You made the program what it is today; WE LOVE YOU!!!!

Besides, Austin in July is a hell hole.

??

Can anyone give me her email address, or are we not allowed to that on here???

Let's not; but it is possible to find it through Duke's various websites.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Let's not; but it is possible to find it through Duke's various websites.
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    Can anyone give me her email address, or are we not allowed to that on here???
    You might want to check out the "Operation G" article posted a few days ago on DBR...
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=22228

Or you could read Coach G's bio on the GoDuke website...
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&Q_SEASON=2006

I think you'll find both of those to be very useful in your search.

GO DUKE!!!

Here's an article from The Chronicle yesterday about Coach G...
    http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...-2809260.shtml

And here's one from today (also in The Chronicle) that talks about the rally tonight...
    http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...puarstoriestab

Go Duke!!!
    Last edited by adam; 03-29-2007 at 01:34 PM.

From the love of Duke and for Duke's love, stay at Duke.

Coach G, stay in basketball territory! You're adored at Duke!

I live in Texas, and it's hard to get people to even care about men's basketball! Even Baylor grads don't get excited about women's basketball!