Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Didn't you predict that Cook would be committing on Friday - two week ago or so?

I post infrequently on recruiting as I rarely can add to the conversation since I live about 2600 miles away. But I read daily (who would ever think that a Duke fan would be OCD?) and I try to keep track of who says what - I thought it was easier with post count but the pitchforks are here and that's the tool we have.

If I had flames rather that pitchforks (and I never expect to exceed the single one I have), I would question whether my opinion was informed or I was shooting from the lip without a fact to back me up. I would look to see if my style was unduly argumentative. Heck, I might even check my grammar or word usage since this board is a cut above the average.

Are there cliques? Certainly. That's how human beings organize themselves and the virtual world is just a mirror of the real world. At least here, you have the opportunity to reach a larger audience (and even those cliques - there are multiple ones on the board -that you comment about) that would be difficult to accomplish in the real world.

And, within the confines of the rules, you have exactly the same opportunity as every other poster including Jumbo or Jim Sumner or Adam Rowe. This is a voluntary community. The pitchforks let you know how you're doing in fitting into the community. They have high pitchfork counts because they're accurate, informed and generally courteous - even Jumbo!

Now back to the Quinn Cook vigil - because I think (not based on youtube videos but on comments by teammates and coaches), that he would be a very nice fit for our backcourt with Tyler and Andre in a couple of years.
    The pitch fork system is a good idea. If you think for yourself and have an opinion that deviates from the norm the less pitchforks you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    The pitch fork system is a good idea. If you think for yourself and have an opinion that deviates from the norm the less pitchforks you have.
    Again, it shouldn't be about deviating from the norm, although I am certain that sometimes people will get + or - comments for silly things... so far I've been given negative comments for not liking boobs enough and for being too uptight when asking someone to back up a comment with facts to support it.

However, having informed ideas and opinions that are based in current conditions, accepted fact, or historical precedent, complimented by a solid and thoughtful writing style, goes a long way on DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Again, it shouldn't be about deviating from the norm, although I am certain that sometimes people will get + or - comments for silly things... so far I've been given negative comments for not liking boobs enough and for being too uptight when asking someone to back up a comment with facts to support it.

However, having informed ideas and opinions that are based in current conditions, accepted fact, or historical precedent, complimented by a solid and thoughtful writing style, goes a long way on DBR.
    Or you can just agree with the popular opinion on here would obviously help also. Ive never wanted anyone to backup. Any why is it wrong to back up facts to support an opinion? My opinion is simply this, hes not as athletic as id like to see for someone of his height or weight (as of now), he has had knee problems in the past. Some and obviously most dont see it as a big deal but all im saying is that i would rather Duke go after a different stye PG possibly in the 2012 class. If people get upset like im actually talking about their child then im sorry. I have my opinion and everyone else has theirs.

That being said i think his work ethic, personality, the way he fits in with the existing Duke players already, basketball IQ and shot are superb. He definitely is a class kid. He would fit in great with Duke but id rather us rave about a player like JWill or KI type is my point i guess i was tying to make. Even if i dont agree to get him id still love to have him on the team. GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by _TheFakeJWill_ View Post
    Or you can just agree with the popular opinion on here would obviously help also. Ive never wanted anyone to backup. Any why is it wrong to back up facts to support an opinion? My opinion is simply this, hes not as athletic as id like to see for someone of his height or weight (as of now), he has had knee problems in the past. Some and obviously most dont see it as a big deal but all im saying is that i would rather Duke go after a different stye PG possibly in the 2012 class.
    Who? Which 2012 point guards are you talking about?

Bear in mind that Rodney Purvis is 1) a combo guard who may become a point guard down the line, and 2) already someone Duke is going after hard, regardless of what Cook decides.

Don't Get It

I don't get the "Quinn may not be right for the team in light of schollys available" idea. Don't you think the coaching staff has thought that through, including the Purvis and big man angles?

My take (apparently shared by the coaching staff) is that Cook would be a great addition. I hope he dons the uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Who? Which 2012 point guards are you talking about?

Bear in mind that Rodney Purvis is 1) a combo guard who may become a point guard down the line, and 2) already someone Duke is going after hard, regardless of what Cook decides.
    LJ Rose?

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    LJ Rose?
    Rose is good. Duke evaluated Rose and Cook, and decided that Cook was better.

Not sure if they used Youtube videos, though - could be an oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

You are right it shouldn't be but is. We don't all have to like every recruit that Duke goes after. I for one am glad Adams decommited because I wasn't sold on him from the beginning. Cook is a very good pg but he is not the level of KI, which I am fine with, but some people don't agree and that is fine too. Cook will be a 4 year player like Nolan and like Nolan I feel he will improve every year. I understand with Cook that the lockout and KI potentially staying could push him away from Duke, I hope not but I understand.

Rose is good. Duke evaluated Rose and Cook, and decided that Cook was better.

Not sure if they used Youtube videos, though - could be an oversight.
    I am not sure I follow you, Rose and Cook are in different classes so you could get both of them. I am not sure that I can believe that if given the opportunity to have Rose #1 player and #1 pg in '12 class over Cook #20 player and #4 pg in the class that Duke would say they would rather have Cook. Just my opinion!

I am not sure I follow you, Rose and Cook are in different classes so you could get both of them. I am not sure that I can believe that if given the opportunity to have Rose #1 player and #1 pg in '12 class over Cook #20 player and #4 pg in the class that Duke would say they would rather have Cook. Just my opinion!
    Wait, what? Rose isn't the #1 player in the class of 2012. Scout lists him at #19; Rivals has him at #28. Meanwhile, Scout has Cook at #20 in 2011, Rivals at #28. (Caveat - comparing rankings between classes is always problematic. But there doesn't appear to be a real difference here.)

2011 is a much deeper and better class for point guards than 2012. That's why the #1 PG in 2012 is ranked around the same spot as the #4 PG in 2011. (The reverse is true with post players, which is why it makes sense to grab a point guard this year and a big man next year.)

I'll try to help. You are correct that Rose and Cook are in different classes, but perhaps the coaches may have decided that with Tyler Thornton already on the roster, that at this time it may be better to focus on only one of them for now. You may not believe that the coaches would want Rose over Cook, but Rivals has Rose as the #1 PG and #19 recruit in its 2012 rankings, ESPN has him at #1 PG and #9 overall recruit. Quinn is ranked on average #20 (RSCI), ranging from #13 to #34 and had a great summer leading the U-17 national team as has been mentioned in this thread. With a potential opening at point guard after this year, can you see how it might be possible that the coaching staff could prefer to have Cook in 2011 vs. Rose in 2012? This is assuming they have a choice, which is a pretty big assumption. I would be very happy to have Cook as a recruit in Duke's 2011 class.

Edit: I see Duvall did a better job of replying than I did and sooner.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

You are right it shouldn't be [about deviating from the norm] but is. We don't all have to like every recruit that Duke goes after. I for one am glad Adams decommited because I wasn't sold on him from the beginning. Cook is a very good pg but he is not the level of KI, which I am fine with, but some people don't agree and that is fine too. Cook will be a 4 year player like Nolan and like Nolan I feel he will improve every year. I understand with Cook that the lockout and KI potentially staying could push him away from Duke, I hope not but I understand.
    I have to disagree with you here. I think the case study from which this particular tangent developed was not only contrarian, but also very poorly substantiated. I don't know why anyone even bothered to refute it, since in the post itself, the poster kindly explained how it was not very well grounded. But the real problem was that it was BOTH contrarian AND it did nothing to further discussion, WHILE providing no substantial justification for its position. That is a recipe for red circles in your comments.

It would be nice if Coach K could just snap his fingers and get a commitment from someone like LJ Rose. But he can't, so even if you think Rose is a slightly better player than Cook, you must realize that passing on Cook now would backfire if Rose goes elsewhere a year from now. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, but I seriously doubt Rose is twice as good as Cook, so it's really not a hard call for me: lock up Cook now and be able to focus the 2012 recruiting effort on other positions (wings and bigs). Add in the fact that Kyrie is likely gone next year, when Rose is still a high school senior and Cook will be able to play, and it's pretty much a no-brainer (even if I were to assume that Rose is better than Cook).

Wait, what? Rose isn't the #1 player in the class of 2012. Scout lists him at #19; Rivals has him at #28. Meanwhile, Scout has Cook at #20 in 2011, Rivals at #28. (Caveat - comparing rankings between classes is always problematic. But there doesn't appear to be a real difference here.)

2011 is a much deeper and better class for point guards than 2012. That's why the #1 PG in 2012 is ranked around the same spot as the #4 PG in 2011. (The reverse is true with post players, which is why it makes sense to grab a point guard this year and a big man next year.)
    Scout lists Rose as the #1 player overall, ESPN has him at #9 and #1 pg. Scout has Cook at #20 and #4 pg and ESPN has him at #34 and #5 pg. The '11 class has two 5-star pg's and a fair amount of 4-star(Quinn Cook) and the '12 class has two 5-star pg's(LJ Rose) and a fair amount of 4-star pg's, so I don't understand how the '11 class has deeper or better pg's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I have to disagree with you here. I think the case study from which this particular tangent developed was not only contrarian, but also very poorly substantiated. I don't know why anyone even bothered to refute it, since in the post itself, the poster kindly explained how it was not very well grounded. But the real problem was that it was BOTH contrarian AND it did nothing to further discussion, WHILE providing no substantial justification for its position. That is a recipe for red circles in your comments.
    And luckily you have the right to disagree just like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I'll try to help. You are correct that Rose and Cook are in different classes, but perhaps the coaches may have decided that with Tyler Thornton already on the roster, that at this time it may be better to focus on only one of them for now. You may not believe that the coaches would want Rose over Cook, but Rivals has Rose as the #1 PG and #19 recruit in its 2012 rankings, ESPN has him at #1 PG and #9 overall recruit. Quinn is ranked on average #20 (RSCI), ranging from #13 to #34 and had a great summer leading the U-17 national team as has been mentioned in this thread. With a potential opening at point guard after this year, can you see how it might be possible that the coaching staff could prefer to have Cook in 2011 vs. Rose in 2012? This is assuming they have a choice, which is a pretty big assumption. I would be very happy to have Cook as a recruit in Duke's 2011 class.

Edit: I see Duvall did a better job of replying than I did and sooner.
    Scout lists Rose as the #1 player overall, ESPN has him at #9 and #1 pg. Scout has Cook at #20 and #4 pg and ESPN has him at #34 and #5 pg. The '11 class has two 5-star pg's and a fair amount of 4-star(Quinn Cook) and the '12 class has two 5-star pg's(LJ Rose) and a fair amount of 4-star pg's, so I don't understand how the '11 class has deeper or better pg's.
    Sorry I meant to say Scout (as my understanding as they are better for basketball) in my above post, which ranks LJ Rose as the #1 PG and #19 recruit overall, while as Duvall mentioned Rivals has him at #28.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    It would be nice if Coach K could just snap his fingers and get a commitment from someone like LJ Rose. But he can't, so even if you think Rose is a slightly better player than Cook, you must realize that passing on Cook now would backfire if Rose goes elsewhere a year from now.
    See also Smith, Dean and Hurley, Bobby.

I see people on here railing about the youtube videos. Granted youtube video aren't a good indicator for defense,passing,shooting are anything else for that matter becuase they are highlight videos

However, I can take ONE thing from youtube video. Pure athleticism. For example,I can watch two minutes of Rodney Purvis and tell that he is very quick,very explosive and can jump high.

I can watch Quinn Cook on youtube and see that he is not all that quick,athletic or explosive. He relies on guile and toughness. Is guile and toughness for a starting PG good enough at Duke when EVERYONE plays their A game against you? At some point you have to have talent and athleticism or at least size,right?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    It would be nice if Coach K could just snap his fingers and get a commitment from someone like LJ Rose. But he can't, so even if you think Rose is a slightly better player than Cook, you must realize that passing on Cook now would backfire if Rose goes elsewhere a year from now. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, but I seriously doubt Rose is twice as good as Cook, so it's really not a hard call for me: lock up Cook now and be able to focus the 2012 recruiting effort on other positions (wings and bigs). Add in the fact that Kyrie is likely gone next year, when Rose is still a high school senior and Cook will be able to play, and it's pretty much a no-brainer (even if I were to assume that Rose is better than Cook).
    Slow down, I am not saying I don't want Cook because I do, Duvall said Duke evaluated both and Cook was better. I was just saying how I don't believe if you had 1 scholarship and you had to choose between Cook and Rose that Duke would choose Cook. I mean would you take Cook over Irving? I wouldn't.

Scout lists Rose as the #1 player overall,
    No, they don't. You have to look at the "Top" list to see where players are ranked overall. The "All" list lists the #1 players at each position, then the #2 players at each position, and so forth. It's incredibly annoying.