Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New TV Season - The Neighbors

Watched it.

Regretted it.

I saw Last Resort last night, not because I planned to, but just because it happened to be playing when we finished our DVR recording of Jeopardy!.

While fairly interesting, I'm worried I'll have problems buying into the plausibility of the plot*. It seems like trying to take aspects of Crimson Tide (which, coincidentally, I just rewatched a couple days ago), combine it with political intrigue / coverups / sinister conspiracies, and turn it into a ongoing series. We'll see...

* Which I will complain about a lot if it have trouble with it. I straight up quit 24 after awhile out of frustration, and my wife during season 4 of Friday Night Lights (excellent show, btw) eventually told me to be quiet, accept the ridiculous plot devices, and enjoy the show for what it was about.

It strikes me that all shows about a central conflict or mystery are fated to fail. The audience is tuning in to see the mystery/conflict get solved but solving it ends the show. These things are probably better served as a mini-series. Of, better still, as a series that is designed to only go 1 or 2 seasons at the most with a defined end point.

It is for that reason that I chose not to watch the Last Resort pilot last night.

-Jason "I actually think Revolution is doomed in a similar fashion, but I got hooked on it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It strikes me that all shows about a central conflict or mystery are fated to fail. The audience is tuning in to see the mystery/conflict get solved but solving it ends the show. These things are probably better served as a mini-series. Of, better still, as a series that is designed to only go 1 or 2 seasons at the most with a defined end point.

It is for that reason that I chose not to watch the Last Resort pilot last night.

-Jason "I actually think Revolution is doomed in a similar fashion, but I got hooked on it" Evans
    I pretty much agree - after awhile it becomes a game of "watch the writers looks for ways to extend this". Some things are probably better served as either movies or miniseries.

The nice thing about Veronica Mars (great show, if anyone watched it), is that each season was its own distinct mystery that got resolved by the end of the year. It allowed them to drop clues and hints and intrigue all along the way, but there was always a finite endpoint. (if they could make it that long before getting cancelled!) The way they structured and resolved season 1 still blows me out of the water.

Woof, thanks for the info on The Office. Yeah, it is NOT good, and the idea to create conflict between Pam and Jim seems foolish... although given how boring they seem now, whatever.

Sorry to hear about Parks and Rec... that show is a national treasure. Treat yo self!

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Watched it.

Regretted it.
    It was on right after Modern Family so our DVR caught the first few minutes of it. That was more than enough for us to decide to give this one the boot. Blech!

-Jason "I can bet that they made a lot of gooey, green slime jokes, right? That is humor for 7-year-olds" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It was on right after Modern Family so our DVR caught the first few minutes of it. That was more than enough for us to decide to give this one the boot. Blech!

-Jason "I can bet that they made a lot of gooey, green slime jokes, right? That is humor for 7-year-olds" Evans
    I think this one could be gone before the first frost.

I'm fine with infantile humor, but even the green slime wasn't funny. Incredible.

"Neighbors" was billed as a comedy so I kept watching and waiting for a something funny to happen. And then the episode ended.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I pretty much agree - after awhile it becomes a game of "watch the writers looks for ways to extend this". Some things are probably better served as either movies or miniseries.

The nice thing about Veronica Mars (great show, if anyone watched it), is that each season was its own distinct mystery that got resolved by the end of the year. It allowed them to drop clues and hints and intrigue all along the way, but there was always a finite endpoint. (if they could make it that long before getting cancelled!) The way they structured and resolved season 1 still blows me out of the water.
    My wife and I really enjoyed Veronica Mars. In my opinion, it was the peak of Bell's career thusfar.

None of the new shows have been great. Even Revolution falls short. Looking forward to Amazing Race and Once Upon a Time tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Yeah, I get the sense that The Office is now one of those shows about which people say, "Wait, that show's still on?" They should've ended it when Steve Carrell left. Hopefully they can give it at least a respectable send-off this year and keep it from sinking into Willie Mays with the Mets/Johnny Unitas with the Chargers territory.

Interesting point about the decline of NBC's historic dominance of Thursday night. Technically, this year is the 30th anniversary of the birth of that run, as Cheers and Family Ties premiered in the fall of 1982, though it wasn't until The Cosby Show debuted in 1984 that Thursday night became a real juggernaut for NBC.
    How bad is the fall of NBC? CBS doesn't even bother putting Survivor or CSI on Thursdays anymore. They don't need those shows to beat NBC.

Uhm... The Beekman Boys are a team in Amazing Race?! Where did that come frm?! Excellent, totally rooting for them all the way. Hope Farmer John is home taking care of the animals!

Funny how they never mentioned the show or anything, even though it is on a different channel... Not even a "stars of their own show" or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

This is the reason I enjoy damages, although I know a lot of others don't find it entrtaining
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

After two episodes, it appears that The Good Wife has elevated its game. On the flip side, it appears that Disney has lost touch with reality (pun intended) with Once Upon a Time.

Seriously? No love for Mindy Kaling? Damn you people, what's wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Seriously? No love for Mindy Kaling? Damn you people, what's wrong with you?
    I was eager for this program and really wanted it to be good!

But, I watched the pilot and found it insufferable. Hated it. I tried to watch the next episode and got through maybe 5 minutes of it. Ugh. Seemed demeaning of women, which was really confusing considering Mindy is running the show. I did not connect with or like any of the characters. I found much of what they did to be in poor taste and farcical... But, the worst problem was that it just was not at all funny. Like I did not laugh at all. I don't even think I smiled.

-Jason "aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?" Evans

*laugh*. Love that sign off

See, I rather enjoy it. I think she is great, in a disorganized mess sort of way, and honestly it just has a lot of the same feel as her book, which I found wonderfully self deprecating and genuine. I've even come to enjoy the other characters a bit more. I rather enjoy it!

Then again, I was also sorry when Outsourced was cancelled, sooooo...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    *laugh*. Love that sign off

See, I rather enjoy it. I think she is great, in a disorganized mess sort of way, and honestly it just has a lot of the same feel as her book, which I found wonderfully self deprecating and genuine. I've even come to enjoy the other characters a bit more. I rather enjoy it!

Then again, I was also sorry when Outsourced was cancelled, sooooo...
    I'm with Jason on The Mindy Project. Got a lot of hype over the summer, so I was curious.

But I just don't see it. Mindy is annoying and superficial and none of the secondary characters seem able to rescue this. Not terrible. But not especially compelling, either.

I liked the 1st 2 episodes of Mindy. It was quirky in a not displeasing way.

I'm all caught up on Homeland.
    The pacing is deliberately painful. Danes does all the heavy lifting and carries the show. I mean it, if she gets offed or decides she wants a new challenge; I cant imagine it being worth watching at all!

I find Brody somewhat lacking as a villain. I can appreciate his character went thru a lot and is confused. But to place the life of a non-blood family member over those of his own kids strains my belief in the motivation/goal of the character. They need to bring that element in and make me see how that can happen..

I caught the first episode of the "Men Who Built America" miniseries on History. I thought it was well done, and I learned a lot about the relationship between Vanderbilt and Rockefeller. Definitely looking forward to the next one, which looks like it will focus on Rockefeller and Carnegie.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.