Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Pheochromocytoma?

I noticed none of the articles ever said it was cancer-- only said waiting on pathology, and he may need the other kidney operated on later. This sounds like it might be a pheochromocytoma, a tumor of the adrenal gland. This may explain his vertigo and orthostatic hypotension (almost fainting when standing up from a sitting position), which are common symptoms of a pheo. Good news is that pheochromocytomas (if that's what it is) are rarely malignant.

Best wishes to 'Ol Roy. Speedy recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I noticed none of the articles ever said it was cancer-- only said waiting on pathology, and he may need the other kidney operated on later. This sounds like it might be a pheochromocytoma, a tumor of the adrenal gland. This may explain his vertigo and orthostatic hypotension (almost fainting when standing up from a sitting position), which are common symptoms of a pheo. Good news is that pheochromocytomas (if that's what it is) are rarely malignant.

Best wishes to 'Ol Roy. Speedy recovery!
    Gee, I thought you were talking dirty.

Lenox Rawlings column 9/20

High-energy Williams must now sit and wait

From column today by Lenox Rawlings of W-S Journal (best sports columnist in state IMO)

He would prefer to do almost anything other than wait on answers, but that's all Williams can do now.

Surgeons removed a tumor from his right kidney during a 3 1/2 -hour procedure at UNC Hospitals Wednesday morning, but they don't know if that tumor (or another tumor on his left kidney) is cancerous. The tests that will reveal the blunt medical facts take time — perhaps two days and possibly longer, according to a Carolina spokesman.
    Last edited by -jk; 09-20-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fix link

Praying for you Roy. God is of course confused, since during the season the words I send up are not exactly "please take care of this man and give him a speedy recovery." But I'm sure the Almighty can figure it out.

Thoughts and Prayers

One of basketball's most tenacious competitors has fans of every shade of blue rooting for him and hoping for the best news possible. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Williams family while they wait for the pathology reports.

For purposes of speculation:
    Most common kidney tumor requiring removal is renal cell carcinoma. If small, it can be removed without taking the entire kidney. If large, the entire kidney must be removed.
    Some people are at risk for multiple renal cell carcinomas. Treatment here is dicey because patients require a certain degree of functioning renal tissue to live.

Some renal cell carcinomas are very agressive and spread rapidly, but many can be cured with resection.

Hope Roy does well, whatever the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    For purposes of speculation:
    Most common kidney tumor requiring removal is renal cell carcinoma. If small, it can be removed without taking the entire kidney. If large, the entire kidney must be removed.
    Some people are at risk for multiple renal cell carcinomas. Treatment here is dicey because patients require a certain degree of functioning renal tissue to live.

Some renal cell carcinomas are very agressive and spread rapidly, but many can be cured with resection.

Hope Roy does well, whatever the situation.
    I'm not sure this is something we should speculate about. Kendall's scaphoid, sure. But not this.

If you pray, you should pray. If you prefer to send good thoughts and whatnot, send good thoughts and whatnot.

The twitterverse says Roy's tumor was not cancerous! Great news.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Here's an article on the good news. A similar growth on the other kidney will be biopsied now.

sagegrouse

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    That is really awesome news dd, thanks for sharing. I hope that means he can put off the surgery on the left kidney until after the season without jeopardizing his health in any way.

I was anticipating it to be cancer, so relieved to learn it is not. So I celebrate the news with our adversary, and wish him a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's an article on the good news. A similar growth on the other kidney will be biopsied now.

sagegrouse
    Duhhhhhhhhhh!!! I forgot to add the link. -- sage

Great news that it's not cancerous. I want to see Roy's career end prematurely after a string of losing seasons...not cancer.

disagree

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post
    Great news that it's not cancerous. I want to see Roy's career end prematurely after a string of losing seasons...not cancer.
    I would prefer to see his career continue with a string of losing seasons! Glad to hear it's not cancerous.

I've been sensitive to and supportive of Roy Williams in this, but this sticks in my craw.

Bucigross just reported [w/r/t the silly PR stunt that is Midnight Madness], "Roy Williams, back from his bout with cancer."

Um, it was not cancer. Did you miss the good news, Buci?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine