Duke Women Get 1-Seed in NCAA Soccer Tourney

The Women's Soccer team got a 1-seed in the recently released soccer bracket. That will allow them to play at home all the way until the Final Four if they keep winning. Official NCAA and Duke releases.

Bracket reflects the dominance of the ACC this year. Nine teams in, three top seeds (Wake and FSU in addition to Duke), six teams seeded overall.

Duke plays Radford in the first round, and if they advance they will play either Kansas or Georgia.

The idiots at Top Drawer Soccer who have had no love at all for the ACC all season look awfully foolish with Stanford and Oklahoma State in the same quarter of the bracket. That makes OKSt either number seven or eight overall.

The top eight teams in the final NCAA RPI rankings were Duke, Stanford, UVa, Wake, Memphis (who ended up as the four seed in FSU's region), OKSt, UCLA, and FSU. FSU's ACC Tournament win obviously gave them a huge boost in the eyes of the committee.

Auburn's early-season win over Duke must have been heavily weighted by the committee. They were number 27 in the last RPI, and got a three seed.

Going to be fun. Go Devils!

We need a big crowd out there Fiday to cheer on the Devils! I can't wait.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    We need a big crowd out there Fiday to cheer on the Devils! I can't wait.
    Just to clarify, I believe the opening round will be played on Sunday at 2pm. Hopefully there will be a great home crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    Just to clarify, I believe the opening round will be played on Sunday at 2pm. Hopefully there will be a great home crowd.
    My bad - brain dead. Go Devils!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The ACC gets 9 out of 11 teams (GT doesn't have a team) into the NCAA tourney! I wonder where that ranks percentage wise against other leagues historically, even in other sports? Has to be pretty good, eh? What a tough league! The 2 that didn't make it (NCSU & CU) are good teams that would have probably won plenty in any other league this season (except maybe the SEC, who got 8 teams in). This http://www.theacc.com/sports/w-socce...110711aaa.html from ACC.com has some remarkable info that illustrate just how dominant the ACC has been in women's soccer.

I do hope the stands fill up on Sunday. I'll be there for sure, though I'm still working on getting my 14-yr-old soccer-playing daughter to agree to be seen in public with her dear old dad for 90 minutes. I know, tough sell, right?... but the soccer these ladies play is so good it might actually overcome that issue. We'll see.

Go Duke!!!!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

I have seen the women play in person several times this year, and they are very exciting to watch. I was at the Wake game Friday night, and it seemed that we just could not put it together in the final 3rd. Otherwise, we dominated possession and created more scoring opportunities than Wake. They just made the most of theirs. A little more patience on offense could have made the difference for us. Hopefully, it will be one of those losses we can learn from and use as motivation for the NCAA Tournament. Robbie Church is a great coach, but he is an even better person. He and the team deserve the support of everyone that can make it out on Sunday and beyond.

Scouting the Dawgs

Georgia comes into Friday's match with a record of 13-6-2. Their first-round win at Kansas snapped a four-game winless streak that included a 2-0 loss to Florida in the first round of the SEC Tournament. The Dawgs got off to a bad start, with two home losses in August, but turned it around with a five-match winning streak in September. They were 6-3-2 in SEC regular season play.

On the season, Georgia has scored 38 goals while conceding 25.

The Dawg attack runs through sophomore midfielder Alexa Newfield. With 16 goals and eight assists, she has been part of 63 percent of the team's goals. Senior forward Ashley Miller is second on the team with five goals. The back four is anchored by seniors Bailey Powell (the team's biggest field player at 5-11) and Jenna Buckley.

Duke and Georgia have four common opponents: Auburn, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and UNC Greensboro. The only difference in results is against Auburn; Georgia drew with them, while Duke lost.