technical question on this board and firewalls

I have installed a new firewall [AT&T] and it had a problem when I tried to bring up a thread. What program does this board use to access the Internet and should my firewall have an issue with it?

Not quite sure what you're asking...

There's not really a "program" that DBR uses to access the internet. They put their website on a server, and you're downloading the server content when you type in the address on the web page.

The board itself is a modified version of phpBB, which is probably the most popular bulletin board software out there. The server itself is probably an Apache server.

If you can view the main site, and not the bulletin board, then I don't think your firewall is the culprit.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
    There's not really a "program" that DBR uses to access the internet. They put their website on a server, and you're downloading the server content when you type in the address on the web page.

The board itself is a modified version of phpBB, which is probably the most popular bulletin board software out there. The server itself is probably an Apache server.

If you can view the main site, and not the bulletin board, then I don't think your firewall is the culprit.
    I asked because the first time I tried to bring up a thread after installing it the firewall notified me of a program trying to access. I allowed access only once and the thread came up. The timing may have been an coincidence, but it just struck me.

If you're using a software firewall, make sure it's set to allow all access to dukebasketballreport.com. If you do an "allow one time only" or the like, it'll ask every time.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    If you're using a software firewall, make sure it's set to allow all access to dukebasketballreport.com. If you do an "allow one time only" or the like, it'll ask every time.

-jk
    That is the reason i agreed to "allow one time only". it hasn't asked again so i guess that request was not about the board. the timing was just right and the thread was slow to come up.

Thanks!