Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

MBB: Indiana 73, (1) Kentucky 72

Indiana giving Kentucky all it can handle. Hot 3 point shooting can offset a multitude of relative weaknesses.

up 9 mid-way through 2nd half. Only up 1 at half.

Interesting day of hoops developing. Goes to show the unpredictability and parity of college hoops, not to mention the blessing of home field. I was very interested to see Kansas take down Ohio State. Now Indiana is solidly leading UK. Indiana is much improved this year, but obviously this would still be a big upset.

Just shows you how hard it is to go into an opposing team's gym and win. Granted OSU didn't have Sullinger today, but in the case of Indiana and Kentucky, they are both at full strength.

Really impressed with Indiana. They look like a really good team. Great to see Assembly Hall rocking again. Great for college basketball. Shows that a good team can beat a group of more talented players. Hope the Hoosiers keep it up.

Um. Wow.

OMG. What a finish. Mental error, Kentucky should have fouled. Glad they didn't.

Wow, those IU kids are really excited that UK won. (75-70? ESPN)

I had forgotten that Kentucky only had 5 team fouls. They really blew it by not fouling.

Good for IU and the new #1 Syracuse.

Apparently indiana's last win over a #1 had been in the 2002 sweet 16.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    OMG. What a finish. Mental error, Kentucky should have fouled. Glad they didn't.
    Yeah Calipari was asking someone on his team why they didn't foul as he was walking to shake Crean's hand. So the coach told them to foul but they didn't get it done
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

?

Why is it good strategy to put Indiana on the line to tie the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog5 View Post
    Kentucky was under the limit so there would have been no free throws.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog5 View Post
    Somebody posted earlier that UK only had 5 team fouls, so giving a foul would not have resulted in free throws as long as the Indiana player wasn't in the act of shooting.

Forget the game...

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Somebody posted earlier that UK only had 5 team fouls, so giving a foul would not have resulted in free throws as long as the Indiana player wasn't in the act of shooting.
    ...but someone just tried this in a game within the last week or so and lost by a player shooting 3 free throws.

But at least I understand the strategy. Thanks.

Attention Kentucky: When a guy named Christian is taking a last-second shot, try to guard him better.

In looking at the play by play, Kentucky only had 4 team fouls with 5.6 seconds to go. They should have fouled the guy driving to the basket who eventually passed it out for the game winner. Of course, you do run the risk of the player throwing up their arms pretending they're in the shooting motion and getting the call.

Jones ok?

I didn't catch ALL of this game only about the last 16min. Like most others I expected UK to win.
    What was the deal with T.Jones... the common-taters (talking-heads) mentioned he wasn't in the game.

Was he injured or something else? Was he having a spat with Cal? Anyone have any clue?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    In looking at the play by play, Kentucky only had 4 team fouls with 5.6 seconds to go. They should have fouled the guy driving to the basket who eventually passed it out for the game winner. Of course, you do run the risk of the player throwing up their arms pretending they're in the shooting motion and getting the call.
    Actually, I would have instructed to foul before Indiana crossed the half court line to stop forward momentum and force use of time on another inbounds pass.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Attention Kentucky: When a guy named Christian is taking a last-second shot, try to guard him better.
    Ha. Good one Hurley!

Great finish. Could not have been a better ending. I agree with the poster above who stated it is great to see Assembly Hall rocking again. Call me Ol-Fashioned, but I like it when the historical powers have good programs. The more the better. NC State missed out on a great chance to beat IU earlier this year and help their RPI, but State seems to be much improved too and give IU's win today, it should show State they can play with anybody.

I am not a huge fan of Crean but I do like IU due to The General, and glad to see them knock off Kentucky. The storm the court scene out there looked dangerous though. I feared the UK kids were going to get trampled on and possibly hurt. That was wild.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Apparently indiana's last win over a #1 had been in the 2002 sweet 16.
    Grrr....

Yea, we blew a nice sized lead in that one but Boozer was still fouled...

(I hope my memory is correct.)