Page 111 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2515
    Can someone explain to me how Kentucky expects to win with such massive roster change over every season.

After this season they lose Cousins,Patterson,Meeks, and Wall(if he signs there).

So they are already going to basically cut 4 players from the team leaving them with 13 players for this season.

3 players(Wall,Cousins,Patterson) are 100% leaving early after the 2009-2010 season,and Meeks,Stevenson,Galloway,and Harris each graduate next season.

6 players left(Bledsoe,Hood,Orton,Liggins,Miller,Dodson)
    Hes not cutting any of these players for the upcoming season.

So he will need to recruit 7(or more) freshmen to fill out his 2010 recruiting class.

There is no possible way you can keep a team like that together with all of the egos clashing, he will literally have to recruit some freshmen to sit on the bench for a year and then their job may be in jeopardy the following season if when he overrecruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Can someone explain to me how Kentucky expects to win with such massive roster change over every season.

After this season they lose Cousins,Patterson,Meeks, and Wall(if he signs there).

So they are already going to basically cut 4 players from the team leaving them with 13 players for this season.

3 players(Wall,Cousins,Patterson) are 100% leaving early after the 2009-2010 season,and Meeks,Stevenson,Galloway,and Harris each graduate next season.

So he will need to recruit 7(or more) freshmen to fill out his 2010 recruiting class.

There is no possible way you can keep a team like that together with all of the egos clashing, he will literally have to recruit some freshmen to sit on the bench for a year and then their job may be in jeopardy the following season if when he overrecruits.
    Definitely some legit points. You gotta think that this style of recruiting whether its because hes taking over a new team or not, will eventually prove to be counter-productive. I don't doubt they will have a good team next year but recruiting the glue guys will prove much more difficult over the coming years because of how he has handled his roster this year.

Here's a good read about John Wall. It kind of puts things in perspective. It is by far one of the better written articles that we've seen lately. It gives a good summary of the Wall saga.

http://www.truthbegins.com/blog/2009...w-to-the-wall/

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Definitely some legit points. You gotta think that this style of recruiting whether its because hes taking over a new team or not, will eventually prove to be counter-productive. I don't doubt they will have a good team next year but recruiting the glue guys will prove much more difficult over the coming years because of how he has handled his roster this year.
    There is just no way you can win consistently this way with recruiting, you're literally banking your success each season on recruiting an elite 1 & Done prospect to lead the team every year.

Every Championship team needs those "glue guys", the non highly recruited prospects who are willing to provide a specific role on the team.

How the heck do you sell to an All American like Eric Bledsoe that his only role will be as the back-up PG for 4 years because he plans to recruit the elite PG prospect in each recruiting class and allow them to start for 1 year before heading to the NBA?

What's so special about "glue guys?" Who would you consider the "glue guy" for this year's championship team?

When you're talking about a Coach and a school who put winning first, you're talking about a program that will find plenty of extremely talented kids who will be able to step right in and keep that team in serious contention for a title year after year. What more proof do you need than what's taken place at Memphis these past few years.

There is just no way you can win consistently this way with recruiting
    Well, Memphis seems to have had a pretty successful run in the last few years. And if Calipari had stayed there, it showed no signs of stopping.

How the heck do you sell to an All American like Eric Bledsoe that his only role will be as the back-up PG for 4 years
    Good point, but somehow Calipari got him to commit. Maybe Cal convinced him that he could develop into an elite PG such that Cal wouldn't recruit someone to play in front of him every year. It wasn't all 1-and-dones at Memphis... Cal did have very talented 4 year players and "glue guys" as well.

interesting

Quote Originally Posted by johaad View Post
    Here's a good read about John Wall. It kind of puts things in perspective. It is by far one of the better written articles that we've seen lately. It gives a good summary of the Wall saga.

http://www.truthbegins.com/blog/2009...w-to-the-wall/
    but seems a bit unfair when he talks about a "questionable past"...

Quote Originally Posted by nyr484 View Post
    Well, Memphis seems to have had a pretty successful run in the last few years. And if Calipari had stayed there, it showed no signs of stopping.

Good point, but somehow Calipari got him to commit. Maybe Cal convinced him that he could develop into an elite PG such that Cal wouldn't recruit someone to play in front of him every year. It wasn't all 1-and-dones at Memphis... Cal did have very talented 4 year players and "glue guys" as well.
    I tend to agree with your first point there... there are many reasons to fault the man, but successfully recruiting incredibly good players isn't one of them IMO. Many highly recruited players end up being glue guys/role players in college anyway... just look at Duke's role players in recent years, for example.

I remember when Bledsoe announced his decision, the word on all the UK boards was that Cal had told Bledsoe he would be the starter. Of course, who knows if that was actually the case, but either way it really would be pretty ridiculous if UK could snag both Wall and Bledsoe. It just seems like it would work out better for all parties involved (Wall, Bledsoe, Duke and maybe even UK) if one just went to Duke and the other just went to UK... both schools would fill their glaring need with a top-5 pure PG, and both players would come in and start right away for great teams. Hopefully this will still be the case, but it's looking less likely than it did a few weeks ago...

"but seems a bit unfair when he talks about a "questionable past"... "

True, but I thought he was just trying to cover all bases of John Wall. And as much as we hate it now, that was the original report on Wall.

I'm sure this was posted on here somewhere, but thought I would post it just to be sure.

Here's a mixtape of his. After watching this, my mouth was watering at the thought of him joining our team.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    I'm sure this was posted on here somewhere, but thought I would post it just to be sure.

Here's a mixtape of his. After watching this, my mouth was watering at the thought of him joining our team.
    One thing that's often overlooked is that he's almost totally ambidextrous. If you watch his dunk highlights, you think he's left handed, but he shoots right handed. He dribbles equally well with both hands.

calipari coached memphis the master of the one and done...after rose left, he brought in tyrek evans and memphis did pretty good last year.

I know we like to bash Cal, myself included, because of his used car salesman ways but I have to disagree with the counter-productive assessment. He had that Memphis program humming along and the guy can flat out coach at the college level. Current recruits were beginning to see Memphis as the "now" teams, similar to how UNLV was back in the day. I remember a few articles in which recruits mentioned Memphis in such a manner. To think that UK won't be a much improved team and a possible national factor next year is a bit ignorant and probably a by-product of the UK rivalry from our Tourny rivalry and now at the recruiting level (i.e. Patterson and Wall, regardless of how that turns out).

I now fully expect some backlash due to defending Cal and UK, though in a minor way, even though I can't stand UK and Cal in general..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post

that's a great mixtape ('cept the sound track) but before we go just plain NUTS, let's all remember. John will be playing against talent like he's never met up with in his whole life. Yeah, he's got mad skills, but he will be facing much tougher talent than he is in any of those clips...

moon "just watching some old josh mcroberts highlight mixtapes" pie.

sorry jason...

Wall makes a decision

Here is an article regarding John Wall's decision... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...kes-a-decision

I couldn't resist posting this one...

Quote Originally Posted by derayb View Post
    Here is an article regarding John Wall's decision... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...kes-a-decision

Best part about that post--

The poll to the side of the screen that reads:

Should NCAA establish May 15th deadline for Scholarship Athletes to Commit
    * Yes
    * No
    * I like the idea of college coach and AAU coach negotiating through the summer
    --Jason "this reminds me of Lord of the Rings when Treebeard announces the Ents have made a decision... they have decided that the Hobbits are not Orcs" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "this reminds me of Lord of the Rings when Treebeard announces the Ents have made a decision... they have decided that the Hobbits are not Orcs" Evans
    Wow... did I really write that. I am the world's biggest geek.

--Jason "I am pathetic" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am the world's biggest geek.

--Jason "I am pathetic" Evans
    Takes a lot of nerve to proclaim yourself the world's biggest geek on an internet forum. I guess it is more likely to fly here than a WoW forum.

Oh yeah, for some b-ball content. John Wall - Ignore the geeks and come to Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by nyr484 View Post
    Conference USA.

But we know that Cal is going to recruit someone to play ahead of him every year, they are already pushing for Selby & Knight for 2010.

Cal did have some good 4 year players but those were the type of players that I mean claiming not highly recruited who projected for 4 years as role players, Anderson,Dozier,Dorsey, and others werent top recruits or even top 50 recruits.

Due to Kentucky's standards for recruiting he is only targeting All Americans, remember that Tubby Smith got ran out of town for not solely recruiting HS All Americans instead recruiting guys who fit his system that would stick for 3-4 years.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by derayb View Post

Since I loathe bleacherreport and their so-called "articles" I was tempted not to look, but it's like rubbernecking a trainwreck, gotta do it.

That being said, that is the best bleacherreport "article" ever written.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."