Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    We are a huge underdog against OSU. Kenpom has OSU winning 78% and some of the sports booking site has OSU by 7pts.

Lets go Duke, hope we can pull this one off.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    I think our experience and toughness gets the W tonite...Everyone focuses on the fact that Sully is such a beast and rightfully so, but OSU is a really young team who starts 4 sophomores w/ Buford being the lone upperclassmen, They pretty much went 6 deep last year...Outside of Jared and Buford they don't have any proven consistent scoring, Smith barely played last year and Craft isn't much of an offensive threat. OSU's bench doesn't bring much either outside of maybe Sibert. One big focus point should be not to let a guy like Thomas go off for a career night...Jared will get his points and rebounds but our bigs will definitely make him work, we hold Buford to decent numbers and I think we should come out on the right side of this one.
    They certainly aren't experienced and don't have a ton of scoring depth. That's in our favor. Of course, we don't have a ton of guys with leadership/star experience at the college level either (not that this has been a problem for us this year - just saying it may not be a specific advantage for us).

It doesn't seem like OSU has a ton of 3pt shooters. Basically, Buford is the only really good 3pt shooter, and he doesn't shoot a ton of them. Seems like they must score a lot in transition, as they have averaged 11 steals per game. Limiting turnovers and transition buckets will be a key.

In the halfcourt, it seems like Sullinger and Buford are the big threats, with Thomas as an alternative option. After that, it's a few points here and there for folks.

Hopefully Mason can do a good job of preventing Sullinger from completely dominating, and hopefully he stays out of foul trouble. I think his incremental impact (on both ends) is big, and is magnified against higher quality opponents.

On the offensive end, we need to avoid turnovers and get good looks. OSU is tall and athletic on the wings, and Kraft is a terrific defender. They'll likely make us work for our 3pt shots. Hopefully we can continue to hit at a high rate. If we do so, I think we can win.

It'll be tough as this is our first true road game. I don't expect a win (ducking), but I won't be surprised either. We definitely have the depth and the talent to win this game.

Mason "Santa" Plumlee

I was just talking with my wife about Mason and she produced this gem, "I'm going to start calling Mason 'Santa' - that's how much I believe[.]"

I don't think I've ever wanted a nickname to catch on so badly in my life. My only concern now is that Santa traditionally wears red, white and black - though I suppose that's only passingly close to scarlet and grey
    Last edited by bluesin; 11-29-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: she made me fix her lazy capitalization
    Class of '06

Strugglin here!

As always a lot of good discussion and great points made on this forum!
    Not to rehash.. and ..Maybe it my obvious bias showing through!

I look at OStates lineup, I look at their season so far!
    All the numbers are based on weak opponents save one!

On paper, It appears a real close game and might be.
    I don't believe competition and effort can be turned on and off like a light switch,
    Certainly they should'nt need any more reason to be up for a game! But they just seem
    To have been walking through the season... Will that show up in the last 10 min of the game?

When looking at the rosters, it just appears we have a lot more to shut down than they do!
    I Don't get the spread, maybe I'm missing a bunch!
    and again .. Maybe its my obvious bias showing through!

I dont think we go undefeated, I just dont think the first one is tonight!!
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    As always a lot of good discussion and great points made on this forum!
    Not to rehash.. and ..Maybe it my obvious bias showing through!

I look at OStates lineup, I look at their season so far!
    All the numbers are based on weak opponents save one!

On paper, It appears a real close game and might be.
    I don't believe competition and effort can be turned on and off like a light switch,
    Certainly they should'nt need any more reason to be up for a game! But they just seem
    To have been walking through the season... Will that show up in the last 10 min of the game?

When looking at the rosters, it just appears we have a lot more to shut down than they do!
    I Don't get the spread, maybe I'm missing a bunch!
    and again .. Maybe its my obvious bias showing through!

I dont think we go undefeated, I just dont think the first one is tonight!!

Outside of Sully, Buford and maybe Thomas...its not likely that the other guys are going to need to be shutdown....I think we clearly have more offensive threats

"....there has been very little "traditional" post play from the bigs... the, "I'm holding this spot, give me the ball, I'm gonna turn on you, put a move on you, and score or you're gonna foul me"... plays from them."

I made that observation about Duke in the big man perception thread and it caused some healthy debate.

My argument is that if Duke would play to the post offense with more focus, more aggressiveness, they could play more balanced and be an even better team.

I think Mason and Kelly, and even Miles are capable of putting more pressure on post defenders with offensive post moves, which would open things up for Duke's shooters, and that it will be a necessary part of team play for them to win a title.

Some have argued that Duke already does that, but I don't think they do it near enough. So tonight I will be watching this game and counting the entry passes to a Duke post player that result in an offensive move to the rim. The definition of what I am looking for is above in bold.

I'll post the count in this thread, in short notes from my phone, because I won't be watching from home.

I'm not talking about follow ups, rebounds, or dribble drive dishes from a guard. I'm talking about 1/2 court entry passes that a big makes an offensive move from in the paint.

I think it will be interesting to see just how many, or how few, "traditional" post offensive scoring attempts Duke makes tonight.

So, that's what Ill be looking for tonight, along with getting my first look at Sullinger this season..

This is a battle. The war is won or lost in March.

Duke wins by 4 points.
    Sub-zero and ryan kelly both score over 20 points

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    "....there has been very little "traditional" post play from the bigs... the, "I'm holding this spot, give me the ball, I'm gonna turn on you, put a move on you, and score or you're gonna foul me"... plays from them."

I made that observation about Duke in the big man perception thread and it caused some healthy debate.

My argument is that if Duke would play to the post offense with more focus, more aggressiveness, they could play more balanced and be an even better team.

I think Mason and Kelly, and even Miles are capable of putting more pressure on post defenders with offensive post moves, which would open things up for Duke's shooters, and that it will be a necessary part of team play for them to win a title.

Some have argued that Duke already does that, but I don't think they do it near enough. So tonight I will be watching this game and counting the entry passes to a Duke post player that result in an offensive move to the rim. The definition of what I am looking for is above in bold.

I'll post the count in this thread, in short notes from my phone, because I won't be watching from home.

I'm not talking about follow ups, rebounds, or dribble drive dishes from a guard. I'm talking about 1/2 court entry passes that a big makes an offensive move from in the paint.

I think it will be interesting to see just how many, or how few, "traditional" post offensive scoring attempts Duke makes tonight.

So, that's what Ill be looking for tonight, along with getting my first look at Sullinger this season..

This is a battle. The war is won or lost in March.
    Did you count the kind of post ups you are referring to in the UNC/UNLV game the other night? I did not see the entire game, but the parts I did see, had very little of the type post up's you are referring to. You seem to be using UNC as the standard when they may not be using that kind of post offense as much as you think they are.

Either way, I don't care how Mason, Ryan, and Miles get their points, as long as they produce. Duke has been well balanced with scoring all year, and I expect it will be the same tonight win or lose. The post matchups are very intriquing in this game.

I am a bit surprised at the line as well. I was expecting 3 or 4. 7 is a lot, even with OSU being at home and treating it like the National Championship. Maybe there is something intangible that we don't see that makes this a bad matchup for Duke. Just an interesting line that makes me second guess my thoughts on the matchup.

live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame...Schedule=10411

starters for Duke: Curry, Rivers, Dawkins, Kelly, and Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Did you count the kind of post ups you are referring to in the UNC/UNLV game the other night? I did not see the entire game, but the parts I did see, had very little of the type post up's you are referring to. You seem to be using UNC as the standard when they may not be using that kind of post offense as much as you think they are.

Either way, I don't care how Mason, Ryan, and Miles get their points, as long as they produce. Duke has been well balanced with scoring all year, and I expect it will be the same tonight win or lose. The post matchups are very intriquing in this game.

I am a bit surprised at the line as well. I was expecting 3 or 4. 7 is a lot, even with OSU being at home and treating it like the National Championship. Maybe there is something intangible that we don't see that makes this a bad matchup for Duke. Just an interesting line that makes me second guess my thoughts on the matchup.
    Where did you get the idea from me that UNC has anything to do with the debate about how coach K and Duke chooses to use the bigs in the post offense?

Digger just called Austin our point guard. Damn, Vitale calling game.

Both teams look tight early...

Ok, I guess it's mostly Duke that's tight early Jeez, Austin's not gonna get too many easier shots than that layup he blew. Ugh is all I have to say thus far...

Good start...

1 nice post move for mason

Borderline second move... But I will give it to him Since he took it and strong

Really going to Mason a lot early on - I like it but...would like it more if he made some more shots.

I hope we weren't too late to get into this game. That's rough. Nice job to Austin!

Holy cow - that was an obvious foul on Mason's last bucket! I didn't notice it until the replay. Smells like home cookin' to me!

Third good strong move for mason