Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    The NBC article also states that they expect Austin Rivers to declare.
    Again, unsourced speculation, based on...well, not sure what it is based on. Look, I expect Austin to declare also. But there are actual things a player does and says regarding entering the draft early and for both Austin and Mason, they are in the same place they were yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    NBC affiliated with Bleacher Report? Wow. Have they brought any journalistic credibility to what previously was a forum for anyone to post anything and declare it "news" (based on the latest Williams/Plumlee thing, I'm suspecting not)?
    It's not actually affiliated with Bleacher Report. I believe Bleacher Report just aggregates articles/links and puts them in a newsletter and the person above simply used that newsletter as the link. But NBC Sports is still its own entity and you can access the article via a direct non-Bleacher Report link:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ter-nba-draft/

Does seem like sloppy journalism...

The NBC article also states that they expect Austin Rivers to declare.

*Sigh*

Oh well, no matter what the make-up of 2012-2013, it will be exciting.
    NBC affiliated with Bleacher Report? Wow. Have they brought any journalistic credibility to what previously was a forum for anyone to post anything and declare it "news" (based on the latest Williams/Plumlee thing, I'm suspecting not)?
    Further to the "let's all take this with a grain of salt" approach - the article on Mason was written by a guy named Daniel Martin. Mr. Martin is a junior at St. John's who runs the JohnnyJungle blog. He is a journalism major. The sole source for his story is the Jay Williams tweet, which for the reasons discussed above, appears to be an overreaction to (or an uncareful characterization of) the Herald Sun Article.

No offense to Mr. Martin, who I'm sure has a stellar career in journalism ahead of him, but my bet is that the next time he breaks news about a decision by a Duke player will be the first.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    It's not actually affiliated with Bleacher Report. I believe Bleacher Report just aggregates articles/links and puts them in a newsletter and the person above simply used that newsletter as the link. But NBC Sports is still its own entity and you can access the article via a direct non-Bleacher Report link:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ter-nba-draft/

Does seem like sloppy journalism...
    Ah, I see, my mistake. Still, considering the author and the sources on which the author relies, I'm not sure there's a lot of there there. Now, I'm not saying with certainty that this will ultimately prove incorrect - Mason may well declare (Austin too). I just don't think the decision has yet been made.

Further to the "let's all take this with a grain of salt" approach - the article on Mason was written by a guy named Daniel Martin. Mr. Martin is a junior at St. John's who runs the JohnnyJungle blog. He is a journalism major. The sole source for his story is the Jay Williams tweet, which for the reasons discussed above, appears to be an overreaction to (or an uncareful characterization of) the Herald Sun Article.

No offense to Mr. Martin, who I'm sure has a stellar career in journalism ahead of him, but my bet is that the next time he breaks news about a decision by a Duke player will be the first.
    That all appears to be correct. Which raises a question: why is NBC posting links from an undergrad on the front page of their college basketball website? I'd expect poor journalism from an undergrad, but coming from NBC that's pretty bad.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

If you look at the "writer"'s archives, it is easy to see he loves spending time on unc (and our woes), so I'll take it with a baby blue grain of salt.
    http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor.../danmartinstj/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

NBC?

Friends,

Hey, it's NBC. It's been a long time since it was the paragon of journalistic virtue - you can say that about a lot of networks and magazines that had tremendous reputations in the past. In our age of instant communications and wanting to be the first with a story, you can't blame anyone taking a piece of information and promoting it beyond itself. Very regretable. I hope they both stay but bless them for their contributions if they go.

Mason is 2 classes away from graduating from Duke. If he can be a first round pick and gaurantee himself a nice paycheck in the league then by all means I think he should do it. If the league for some reason does not work out he is a summer session away from a degree from Duke University.

Granted, NBC does not quote another source, but

the implication is certainly clear that they have another (unnamed) source. Of course, it may be lousy reporting, or they may have more to go on than we know about.

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod View Post
    the implication is certainly clear that they have another (unnamed) source. Of course, it may be lousy reporting, or they may have more to go on than we know about.
    I see no such implication. Not only is there not a quote of a second source, there is no paraphrase of such a source, or even so much as a passing, vague reference to the existence of one. What line in the piece do you read as an implication that there exists another source?

Also, there is now an update: "UPDATE 1:55 p.m.: Jeff Goodman of CBS is reporting that, though Plumlee may ultimately end up leaving for the NBA, he has not yet made a final decision."

So, again: I see no reason to think it's anything other than transparently lousy reporting.

I don't read that at all from the NBC article. They wrote the article solely on the basis of Jay Williams' poorly phrased tweet that has since been clarified by JayWill and refuted by Jeff Goodman (who, IMO, is MUCH more trustworthy in these matters than Johnny Jungle or whomever writes for Bleacher Report). Their information about Austin also being likely to declare for the draft doesn't seem to have any source (unnamed or otherwise) either. Just the prevailing speculation in this matter.

The update to the article pointed out by Fellow Traveler above makes it look even more like lousy reporting
    Last edited by tbyers11; 03-22-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Jinx with Fellow Traveler
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

If the author of the article is a St. John's undergrad, the likelihood is any source he has in on-line. Even if he didn't cite it (which he would if he really had it), someone else would have cited it. Since it's not "out there," my guess is it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Like I said before, it's a tweet.

A lot of times tweets end up being real news. Not all the time.
    I hear you. And like CDu and others, I expect a lot more from Mr. Williams too. But if a gun was put to my head right now I'd still say the signs point more toward both Mason and Austin leaving than they do toward them staying. But boy I'd love to be wrong and hope I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I hear you. And like CDu and others, I expect a lot more from Mr. Williams too. But if a gun was put to my head right now I'd still say the signs point more toward both Mason and Austin leaving than they do toward them staying. But boy I'd love to be wrong and hope I am.
    That would be a really silly thing for someone to put a gun to your head about...

That would be a really silly thing for someone to put a gun to your head about...
    I've had guns put to my head for less...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    But if a gun was put to my head right now I'd still say the signs point more toward both Mason and Austin leaving than they do toward them staying.
    Oh, I agree the balance appears to be tilting that way. I just don't think we'll know anything concrete on that front for a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Oh, I agree the balance appears to be tilting that way. I just don't think we'll know anything concrete on that front for a couple weeks.
    I agree.

This information is much appreciated! I did not get to investigate the author of the article...a little thing called "teaching" got in the way of that today.

I wish I could go back to the 80's when I had no internet and could rely solely on the nightly news for correct information! (Of course, I kid!)

I wish I could go back to the 80's when I had no internet and could rely solely on the nightly news for correct information! (Of course, I kid!)
    Not sure it was any more "correct" then than our other suppliers of "news" are now.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Not sure it was any more "correct" then than our other suppliers of "news" are now.
    True, true. Though when the news cycle was only twice a day, there was at least a little more time to fact check first. Now, when the news cycle is continuous, the rush to be first preempts the diligence to fact check. Like Ricky Bobby and his dad said, "if you ain't first, you're last." So while I'm pretty sure the accuracy of media reporting stunk back then too, I'm also pretty sure it stunk much less.