Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Easy A? That's like, every class that didn't take place in the Gross Chem, Physics, or Engineering buildings, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Easy A? That's like, every class that didn't take place in the Gross Chem, Physics, or Engineering buildings, right?
    And he backpedals, holding his follow-through, as the ball scorches the net for three. "That should be a 4 point shot!" shouts Dickie V.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just curious ... would the poly sci prof you're talking about be nicknamed "Suitcase"?
    Yes, indeed it is! He was quite the character as was Dr. Rankin, a contemporary of his from graduate school days through their time as professors. Another character was known as "Ma" Cheek.

I remember hearing many of the guys talk about "Guns and Boats." Always wanted to take that course, but couldn't work it in. Do you remember a professor known for his model trains? His course was also popular among my student athlete friends as was a history course taught by a professor known as "Dirt Farmer."

Time for the moderators to shut down the thread

After all, ol' Roy says everything was above board:

“The players were eligible to be enrolled in those classes, as were non-student-athletes, and they did the work that was assigned to them,” Williams said through an athletic department spokesman.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...#storylink=cpy

If I'm reading this correctly, Roy thinks that as long as regular students are enrolled in the course, then it's OK for the athletes to get bogus credits because non-athletes are doing the same.

I know I'm convinced.

Back in the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Yes, indeed it is! He was quite the character as was Dr. Rankin, a contemporary of his from graduate school days through their time as professors. Another character was known as "Ma" Cheek.

I remember hearing many of the guys talk about "Guns and Boats." Always wanted to take that course, but couldn't work it in. Do you remember a professor known for his model trains? His course was also popular among my student athlete friends as was a history course taught by a professor known as "Dirt Farmer."
    Suitcase Simpson -- folks lined up to get into his class.

Roma Cheek was a pain in the patooty and not a particularly easy grader. Neither she nor Suitcase were on the graduate Poli Sci faculty. Her class emphasized rote learning, and it was positively dreadful. One of my classmates gave an honest assessment of the course on the question on the final exam and got rewarded with a really bad grade: "Your answer to the final question was unsatisfactory," wrote Prof. Cheek.

Dr. Rankin was as honored and respected as anyone on the faculty. He was a member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission and was the speaker at my sister's graduation in 1967. President Doug Knight liked internal speakers and wanted graduation to be a family affair. The local KKK did not take well to Rankin as the graduation speaker and began calling in bomb threats. After awhile, the ceremony in the Indoor Stadium (Eddie C. was still AD) came to a halt, and we all walked across campus to the Chapel to complete the ceremony.

The "basket-weaving" course at the time was in the Education Department -- "Plastic Art in the Public Schools." Students had to make stabiles and mobiles a la Alexander Calder (well, not exactly).

sagegrouse

How do all these bogus courses affect Carolina's APR? What about the degrees the students (supposedly) earned?

ACC votes 7-4 to fine UNC $100,000

Interesting story by Ivan Maesel on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...one-vote-short

Apparenrly the ACC voted 7-4 (UNC did not vote) to tack a $100,000 fine to the penalties imposed by the NCAA. Although that is a significant majority, it's one vote short of the two-thirds majority needed for passage. That's why it ended up just being a public reprimand from the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Interesting story by Ivan Maesel on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...one-vote-short

Apparenrly the ACC voted 7-4 (UNC did not vote) to tack a $100,000 fine to the penalties imposed by the NCAA. Although that is a significant majority, it's one vote short of the two-thirds majority needed for passage. That's why it ended up just being a public reprimand from the conference.
    Wonder which way Duke voted?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wonder which way Duke voted?
    I'm guessing UMiami and FSU voted nay as former/potential probationees. The other two nays prolly came from the set {Clemson, Maryland, VPI}. Just a hunch and some process of elimination.

I always wonder how independent ncsu is from unc in matters such as this. They're the same board of regents and the same people managing the endowments. (Every unc school's endowment is under the supervision of the UNC Management Company, but the endowments themselves are separate. No idea how similar the asset allocations are from school to school, although this should be public record.)
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 05-09-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: grrr, keep messing up the schools

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...ke-action.html
    Apparently, Professor Julius was switching lecture classes to independent study courses without permission and may be in a bit of trouble. One course in particular that is in question is from LAST SUMMER! Not three years ago before this entire mess, LAST SUMMER! Less than 12 months ago.

Also in the article, new attendance data is out. Olympic sport athletes made up 20% of the attendance of these classes pushing the % athlete numbers to 58%. That's right, 58% of the students in these fraudulent courses were athletes.

Don't worry though, it's all cool according to the administration over in Cheater Hill

But university officials say student athletes and non-student athletes were treated equally when it came to the no-show classes and unauthorized grade changes. Figures released Thursday show four non-student athletes received them along with three football players and three other student athletes who are not in revenue-generating sports.

The investigation showed no motive for the improprieties, but did say the department was poorly run, which made it difficult to piece together what had happened. The university has set new policies and procedures to provide better oversight and record-keeping, as well as tougher academic standards for independent study classes.

University officials say there is no evidence of a concerted effort to help student athletes with easy grades so they could remain eligible to play.

In other news, Chris Hawkins (drug dealer, agent runner and disassociated former player after providing improper benefits) was arrested for firing a gun into an occupied dwelling.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...r-hawkins.html

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Don't worry though, it's all cool according to the administration over in Cheater Hill
    This line left a few words off...
    But university officials say student athletes and non-student athletes were treated equally when it came to the no-show classes and unauthorized grade changes. Figures released Thursday show four non-student athletes received them along with three football players and three other student athletes who are not in revenue-generating sports, to which officials replied "Thank God none of them were basketball players!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...ke-action.html
    Apparently, Professor Julius was switching lecture classes to independent study courses without permission and may be in a bit of trouble. One course in particular that is in question is from LAST SUMMER! Not three years ago before this entire mess, LAST SUMMER! Less than 12 months ago.

Also in the article, new attendance data is out. Olympic sport athletes made up 20% of the attendance of these classes pushing the % athlete numbers to 58%. That's right, 58% of the students in these fraudulent courses were athletes.

I love that UNC's stance is essentially "But hey! Look! Regular students were cheating too! It wasn't just the athletes. So it's okay then, right?"

There's an understandable desire over in CH to "get beyond" this embarrassing mess. If there are any hints of trouble for the hoops team, maybe even a semi-cover-up. But, having posted twice in this thread about the importance of UNC faculty members speaking publicly to this scandal, I am personally pleased to see an actual faculty member openly express [front page link to WRAL.com story] some criticism, using the word "rogues" to make a serious point, with some dry wit. ["That's a lot of rogues." Good one.]

The prof who's quoted says other faculty are also "sickened," and adds the important point that other members of the department in question are responsible teachers and scholars. That department has been undermined by the rogue, sure enough.

Maybe the fact that this history prof has spoken publicly will lead other faculty to do the same. And I do realize that faculty members can sometimes jump to conclusions, where athletes are concerned.... In this case, however, the central issue, which seems to be disputed by no one, even if delicately sidestepped by Roy and possibly others, is academic fraud perpetrated against faculty colleagues, on a matter of fundamental institutional and professional standards.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This line left a few words off...
    But university officials say student athletes and non-student athletes were treated equally when it came to the no-show classes and unauthorized grade changes. Figures released Thursday show four non-student athletes received them along with three football players and three other student athletes who are not in revenue-generating sports, to which officials replied "Thank God none of them were basketball players!"
    Yes indeed. "Thank god nothing important was damaged! It was only our academic integrity. Whew!" This is simply too hilarious!

Why excuse me sir, but your priorities are showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Yes indeed. "Thank god nothing important was damaged! It was only our academic integrity. Whew!" This is simply too hilarious!

Why excuse me sir, but your priorities are showing.
    athletics : academics

a) icing : cake

b) icing : broccoli

c) icing : hockey

More breaking news about the academics problems at Carolina: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...ks-sbi-to.html

if new information is brought forth, is the NCAA back on the case? or are they all done dispensing penalties...?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    if new information is brought forth, is the NCAA back on the case? or are they all done dispensing penalties...?
    Different arenas/venues, different penalties

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    More breaking news about the academics problems at Carolina: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...ks-sbi-to.html
    The DA in Orange and Chatham counties, Jim Woodall, has asked the State Bureau of Investigation to investigate possibly illegal activities in the Afro-American Studies department at UNC. Whoah! This could be significant.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The DA in Orange and Chatham counties, Jim Woodall, has asked the State Bureau of Investigation to investigate possibly illegal activities in the Afro-American Studies department at UNC. Whoah! This could be significant.

sagegrouse
    Don't forget that the Secretary of State was conducting and investigation of one of the agents.... anyone seen the results of that investigation?