View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

The Hitman's Bodyguard

Saw the movie poster the other day when we went to see Spidey and I was intrigued so I searched for the trailer online when I got home. I'm going to post it below but I'm warning you if you are at work or have small children around please please make sure your volume is down This could be a terrible movie but I'm hoping it's as funny as the trailer makes it look. I really like Sam J and Reynolds so I've got my fingers crossed.

"The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Saw a new clip from the Emoji Movie. Please don't ban me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmNMGuEm4C8
    I dunno... I need to think about this one. Posting that clip may really be grounds for a summary dismissal from the DBR. That's worse than calling Trump and Obama naughty names.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I dunno... I need to think about this one. Posting that clip may really be grounds for a summary dismissal from the DBR. That's worse than calling Trump and Obama naughty names.
    Nah, Packman just hates us.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Nah, Packman just hates us.
    You guys did let Carolina win the natty last year... So consider this payback

You guys did let Carolina win the natty last year... So consider this payback
    Ummm, well, we did beat them the last game we played them.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Ummm, well, we did beat them the last game we played them.
    Not good enough! Ignoring the fact DUKE HOSPITALS saved my dad's life and a good friend from high school, that Duke got me into college basketball and I love Gothic architecture... The only reason I like Duke is you beat Carolina! I blame you for not playing the cheaters in the NCAA. You guys have to do better.

I blame you for not playing the cheaters in the NCAA. You guys have to do better.
    Kid has a point...

War for the Planet of the Apes did $5 mil in it's Thursday night preview run last night. That's better than the $4.1 mil that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes made in its preview night. Dawn went on to have an opening weekend of $72.6 million.

The estimates for War's opening weekend are all over the place at this point. Fox says it expects $55 million. Most of the tracking numbers have it in the $60-$70 mil range. Some rival studio execs say it should best $70 million. HSX has the opening weekend priced at $63 million. Boxoffice.com estimated $54 million.

If I had to guess, I would say it will do just a shade under $70 million, like $68 million. The reviews have been excellent (94% on Rotten Tomatoes, better than Spiderman, Wonder Woman, and Guardians) and the marketing has really stressed the quality of the film. Obviously, there is a lot of good will for this franchise as each of the previous two installments have also gotten great reviews.

If War makes more than $60 million or so in its opening weekend, it is probably a lock to cross the $200 mill mark in total boxoffice, which would easily surpass what the other 5th place contenders have done thus far. To me, the only question at this point is whether Dunkirk can beat War, which probably won't be answered for a while as both War and Dunkirk figure to have long legs owning to their strong reviews.

-Jason "I think there's a strong, strong chance multiple folks go 5-for-5 this summer... have we ever had multiple 5-for-5s in the summer?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

-Jason "I think there's a strong, strong chance multiple folks go 5-for-5 this summer... have we ever had multiple 5-for-5s in the summer?" Evans
    Well...it came down to picking one movie (maybe 2).

WW, Spidey and GG2 were pretty much locks.
    DM3 was also a high confidence pick.

It really comes down to who picked #5 and whether or not there is another movie that can knock off DM3.

Saw a clip online of the first three minutes of the emjoi movie...unfortunately, it broke the internet...so no link for you.

Now this is a cool way to promo the truly magnificent special effects in your film.
    Went to see it yesterday, a lot to like in the film. Interested in Jason's and others opinions...maybe after the weekend.

Spectacular cgi and Andy Serkis performance is Oscar worthy.

War for the Planet of the Apes did $5 mil in it's Thursday night preview run last night. That's better than the $4.1 mil that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes made in its preview night. Dawn went on to have an opening weekend of $72.6 million.

The estimates for War's opening weekend are all over the place at this point. Fox says it expects $55 million. Most of the tracking numbers have it in the $60-$70 mil range. Some rival studio execs say it should best $70 million. HSX has the opening weekend priced at $63 million. Boxoffice.com estimated $54 million.

If I had to guess, I would say it will do just a shade under $70 million, like $68 million. The reviews have been excellent (94% on Rotten Tomatoes, better than Spiderman, Wonder Woman, and Guardians) and the marketing has really stressed the quality of the film. Obviously, there is a lot of good will for this franchise as each of the previous two installments have also gotten great reviews.

If War makes more than $60 million or so in its opening weekend, it is probably a lock to cross the $200 mill mark in total boxoffice, which would easily surpass what the other 5th place contenders have done thus far. To me, the only question at this point is whether Dunkirk can beat War, which probably won't be answered for a while as both War and Dunkirk figure to have long legs owning to their strong reviews.

Well, it's looking like the Apes will end the weekend at about $57 million -- near the low end of the projections:

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-off...ng-1202496731/

That's not terrible and with a strong word-of-mouth, it may still get to $200 million and end up in our top five. But it's not a lock.

Also worth noting that Spiderman and Despicable Me have passed Pirates (and Transformers and everybody else in the contest)

Even with a $57 million opening, the Apes will almost certainly catch and pass the Pirates.

That means our only real contender left is Dunkirk ... unless something comes out of left field in the last five weeks of the summer season. The race between Apes and Dunkirk should be interesting.

Dunkirk viewing options

Question for Jason or anyone else with knowledge,

Very excited to see Dunkirk. Nolan shot the film with 70mm projection capabilities and IMAX cameras when possible. Obviously a 70mm IMAX theater would be the optimal experience, but those are few and far between. My question is what is preferable 70mm or IMAX (digital, non-70mm)?

Dunkirk's official site and most articles I've read suggest that Nolan himself thinks 70mm is the preferred format over non-70mm IMAX. However, this page shows side by side comparisons that suggest that digital IMAX gives you a greater field of view.

I've got both 70mm and digital IMAX options nearby and a babysitter lined up for next Saturday. Trying to decide which tickets to purchase on Fandango.

Opinions welcome.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Me too, IMAX much more accessible than 70mm. Is it worth the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Me too, IMAX much more accessible than 70mm. Is it worth the trip?
    Thanks for weighing in so that I don't have to reply to my own post

Found another article from The Verge which suggests that standard 70mm is preferable over IMAX digital. Back to my second link 2 posts up, IMAX digital (with laser) might be comparable to standard 70mm but most cineplex IMAX, including mine, are IMAX Xenon.

List of IMAX 70mm and IMAX with laser locations here.

I think I'm going with standard 70mm.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Since it's looking more and more like it comes down to Apes vs. Dunkirk for the fifth spot in our contest (and I go 5-fot-5 if Apes wins), I was looking up early projections for Dunkirk.

I found that Variety is projecting a $30-40 million opening, which would be good for me. On the other hand, I found a site (Box office pro) that projects a $60 million opening and a $240 million take for Dunkirk.

I also found a column suggesting that Variety's projection is way to low, arguing that the invisible audience is older males -- which are not a large percentage of the movie audience (or projections), but which come out of the woodwork every once in a while -- most recently for the totally unexpected box office smash American Sniper.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/dun...ng-1201851546/

I's going to be interesting and depending on the legs of both Apes and Dunkirk, we may still be waiting in September to call a winner.

PS Even though I'm one of the winners if Apes prevails, I wouldn't mind losing to Dunkirk. I'm one of those older male who will be all over it. I just hope that Nolan can tell his story without trampling historical accuracy.

Results!

The 5 Biggest Films of the Summer (so far)

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $386,574,390
    2. Wonder Woman $380,686,078
    3. Spider-Man: Homecoming $208,270,314
    4. Despicable Me 3 $187,989,990
    5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $170,044,886

Here are the current standings:

5/5

1. (tie) Reddevil, tdrake51 are 5/5 (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 films)

4/5

3. (tie) 94duke, accfanfrom1970, bcsu, bjornolf, brevity, dball, DevilBen02, Doria, DU82, DUKIECB, El_Diablo, FerryFor50, IrishDevil, JasonEvans, jjredickrules, killerleft, luburch, Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, NashvilleDevil, Native, Natty_B, Olympic Fan, PackMan97, PensDevil, Reisen, ryetales, trey are 4/5 (#1, #2, #3, and #4 films)
    30. (tie) murpho, YmoBeThere are 4/5 (#1, #2, #4, and #5 films)
    32. (tie) nmduke2001, Udaman are 4/5 (#1, #3, #4, and #5 films)

3/5

34. duke23 is 3/5 (#1, #2, and #4 films)
    35. (tie) CameronBornAndBred, cato, Chicago 1995, Dar95, davekay1971, Gooch, mph, Wander, wilson are 3/5 (#1, #3, and #4 films)
    44. JNort is 3/5 (#1, #3, and #5 films)
    45. Tommac is 3/5 (#1, #4, and #5 films)

2/5

46. aimo is 2/5 (#1 and #2 films)
    47. (tie) BLPOG, Blue in the Face, LasVegas are 2/5 (#1 and #3 films)
    50. (tie) BD80, chriso, Highlander, mkirsh are 2/5 (#1 and #4 films)

0/5

54. Bluedag (Dunkirk: see it in IMAX, not your iPhone!)

Dunkirk

Wow. With those kinds of (projected) numbers for a war film Nolan may be the biggest box office draw in the world right now. Certainly the biggest director with regards to box office at the moment.

Interesting that War of the Planet of the Apes had a weak opening for the franchise:
    2001 Planet: $68.5 -> $180 total
    Rise: $54.8 -> $176 total
    Dawn: $72.6 -> $208 total

It will be interesting with the $56 opening how far War will go.

Interesting that War of the Planet of the Apes had a weak opening for the franchise:
    2001 Planet: $68.5 -> $180 total
    Rise: $54.8 -> $176 total
    Dawn: $72.6 -> $208 total

It will be interesting with the $56 opening how far War will go.
    Considering it is getting good word of mouth (A- Cinemascore and great reviews across the board), I would say a 3.3 - 3.5 multiple is pretty realistic here. That would put Apes in the $185-$200 mil range. That would be comfortably enough to pass Pirates (currently at $170 mil and pretty much stalled there), but will it be enough to hold off Dunkirk? We won't know that for another few weeks at least, I suspect.

-Jason "as Oly said, the contest could last well past Labor Day this year" Evans