Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MBB: UNC-Chapel Hill 86, North Carolina State 74

Much better showing by the Wolfpack so far... UNC took it to them early but they're right back in it. If Howell can stay out of foul trouble (he has two so far) they have a chance.

Great to see them keeping pace thus far, but I learned long ago not to get my hopes up on NCSU-UNC. I'll start investing emotion if its under 6 minutes and still close

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post
    Great to see them keeping pace thus far, but I learned long ago not to get my hopes up on NCSU-UNC. I'll start investing emotion if its under 6 minutes and still close
    Point being that it's still a ball game near halftime.

Tonight is desperation time for State. If the Wolfpack goes 0-3 during its most important stretch of the season -- the last three games against Duke, FSU and Carolina -- it is win-it-all-in-Atlanta-or-go-home time.

As John Saunders said during the Missouri-Kansas State game while giving an update on the Pack-Heels, you really have to feel for them and what transpired in Durham a week ago. That may have been the walls tumbling down.

Gottfried has done a hell of a job, though, in re-igniting the spirit of basketball in Raleigh.

Carolina is 7-14 from three so far.

What?!?!?!

I went back and looked at the old Tarheel box scores...

Carolina has made a grand total of 7 three-pointers in their last 3 games. They have 7 at the half against State. They have exactly 2 games in their past 19 where they have hit more than 7 3-pointers. They had 10 against Ga Tech and 8 against Monmouth.

Kendall Marshall is 3-4 from deep?!?! Dude is shooting 27% from 3 on the season?!?!

-Jason "Where did this come from!??!?!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Howell with his 4th foul with 16 min left. Ball game.

At least two of those fouls were borderline calls at best. He really does get a raw deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Carolina is 7-14 from three so far.

What?!?!?!

I went back and looked at the old Tarheel box scores...

Carolina has made a grand total of 7 three-pointers in their last 3 games. They have 7 at the half against State. They have exactly 2 games in their past 19 where they have hit more than 7 3-pointers. They had 10 against Ga Tech and 8 against Monmouth.

Kendall Marshall is 3-4 from deep?!?! Dude is shooting 27% from 3 on the season?!?!

To add to this, Game Tracker just said the seven first-half threes were as many threes as Carolina has made in 11 of 12 ACC games in their entirety this season.

Absurd.

Did you just crawl out from under a rock? It is all part of the ACC's grand conspiracy against the poor Woofies.
    Bob Green

And here comes the loss of composure. If anything, NCSU has a formula they stick to.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    And here comes the loss of composure. If anything, NCSU has a formula they stick to.
    I take that back... maybe NCSU *did* learn something from the Duke game.

Whoa... they have cut it to 8.

Of course, we all know this is part of the grand plan to produce maximum frustration for the Pack Nation.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Howell with his 4th foul with 16 min left. Ball game.

At least two of those fouls were borderline calls at best. He really does get a raw deal.
    That 4th was a pretty bad call... As was the offensive foul on Wood a possession later was really bad. Especially since he's getting e JJ treatment from UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    That 4th was a pretty bad call... As was the offensive foul on Wood a possession later was really bad. Especially since he's getting e JJ treatment from UNC.
    The worst on Howell was when McAdoo got a rebound and Howell turned upcourt and didn't even try for the board. McAdoo came down either on Howell's foot or just fell on his own and bam - Howell gets called for the foul.

Kendall Marshall won't play this well again in his career. 17 points and 11 assists. Sick.

The gods have decided not to toy with the State fans. Instead, Carolina is about to blow doors off.

-Jason

Kendall Marshall won't play this well again in his career. 17 points and 11 assists. Sick.

The gods have decided not to toy with the State fans. Instead, Carolina is about to blow doors off.

-Jason
    12 assists now.. and zero turnovers.

The worst on Howell was when McAdoo got a rebound and Howell turned upcourt and didn't even try for the board.
    I'm not commenting on this specific foul, but Howell has a bad habit of executing a subtle push in the back when an opponent goes up for a rebound. He deserves an overwhelming majority of the fouls whistled on him.
    Bob Green

12 assists now.. and zero turnovers.
    And he just hit another 3. He is 7-8 from the field now for 20 points, 12 assists, 0 turnovers. I fully expect Marshall to stop using his right hand for the rest of the game, just to give State a little bit of a chance.

-Jason "when the game is over he plans to solve global warming and balance the budget" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm not commenting on this specific foul, but Howell has a bad habit of executing a subtle push in the back when an opponent goes up for a rebound. He deserves an overwhelming majority of the fouls whistled on him.
    In this case, he didn't touch the guy. It was silly.

And he just hit another 3. He is 7-8 from the field now for 20 points, 12 assists, 0 turnovers. I fully expect Marshall to stop using his right hand for the rest of the game, just to give State a little bit of a chance.

-Jason "when the game is over he plans to solve global warming and balance the budget" Evans
    Well they *have* been leaving him wide open. He just has been actually hitting them tonight.

One thing I noticed that has started working for State... and not sure if they're doing this on purpose... but they've been touching the ball after made shots to prevent the break after basket that UNC likes to employ. Seems like a good strategy.

But you guys don't understand, UNC doesn't shoot that many 3's while the other teams settle for 3's against them. Oh wait, they shot 18 3's to NC State's 13 3's yet they still were called for 7 less fouls. Next, you'll tell me they are good at drawing fouls on their 3 point attempts?