Page 3 of 180 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Okafor update

Not much, but more positive signs to Duke.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/ind...=34:recruiting

Okafor will be at the Beach Ball Classic down in Myrtle Beach this week. The tournament streams all their games live so you can catch Jahlil in action a few times over the next few days: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/12/...-myrtle-beach/

Richmond

A brief article on Jaquel Richmond who, as we've heard previously, grew up a Duke fan. I realize most would prefer Tyus Jones among the 2014 guards if one were to choose between the two, and I probably would have to agree, but there is definitely something to be said about someone who has had Duke blue flowing through his veins since childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Not much, but more positive signs to Duke.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/ind...=34:recruiting
    20 points/ 10 rebounds/ 3 blocks against Simeon is very impressive.
    Believe that is Jabari Parker's school, which is ranked #1 in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    A brief article on Jaquel Richmond who, as we've heard previously, grew up a Duke fan. I realize most would prefer Tyus Jones among the 2014 guards if one were to choose between the two, and I probably would have to agree, but there is definitely something to be said about someone who has had Duke blue flowing through his veins since childhood.
    If its between 2 5-star prospects and 1 is a Duke FAN, I say go with the guy the that WANTS to be here.
    Heck yeah! - It could mean more to him to be here and that HAS to be worth something..

UNC in the Mix

According to Evan Daniels and Inside Carolina, UNC has now offered Okafor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    According to Evan Daniels and Inside Carolina, UNC has now offered Okafor as well.
    That's not too surprising and not just because it follows Ol'Roys tendency to offer the same players as Duke Okafor appears to be a real stud and a true low post beast. And while unc has signed a couple of tall guys in the next couple of classes, it's my impression that only Joel James has much bulk and he may end up as more of a project/role player. I think that unc is going to be in as much of need of front court bangers as Duke and Okafor fits that bill very nicely.

Olympic year

On 2013 and 2014 recruiting, good to remember this is an Olympic year, and Coach K will be very occupied this summer with the selection, training, and competition to earn another Gold Medal.

Probably means he wants to get a jump on recruiting and maybe get commitments from certainly 2013 kids and quite possibly one or more from 2014.

I saw Okafor the other night on ESPNU and he looked like a definite back to the basket low post kid. When he sets up, it's real low, under the basket to dunk on you low.

He's really big but seemed plenty mobile with nice hands, footwork and touch getting off his shots inside, over both shoulders.

He reminded me somewhat of Brendan Haywood, fwiw, and I'd go out on a limb and say he looked better than Haywood did the first time I saw him as a college freshman.

And I guess it should be noted that he looked to be carrying a little baby weight, no surprise for a HS Soph. A serious committment to getting in shape and he's beast material.
    NBA when he wants to/or can go, kind of kid.

From the one TV game I saw I'd bet he could start on most high major Div.1 teams right now.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    On 2013 and 2014 recruiting, good to remember this is an Olympic year, and Coach K will be very occupied this summer with the selection, training, and competition to earn another Gold Medal.

Probably means he wants to get a jump on recruiting and maybe get commitments from certainly 2013 kids and quite possibly one or more from 2014.
    A while back, Jim Sumner confirmed that the staff would be hoping for early commitments from 2013 because of the Olympics. The strong early push in 2013 paid off with Matt Jones's commitment. It sounds as though Randle and Parker are not going to be in any rush to decide, but also keep in mind how Coach K was viewed following the Beijing Olympics. If the US wins gold, expect even more pro-Coach K propaganda to flood the airwaves, which helped our recruiting after Beijing and likely would help with the 2013 and 2014 classes.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    A while back, Jim Sumner confirmed that the staff would be hoping for early commitments from 2013 because of the Olympics. The strong early push in 2013 paid off with Matt Jones's commitment. It sounds as though Randle and Parker are not going to be in any rush to decide, but also keep in mind how Coach K was viewed following the Beijing Olympics. If the US wins gold, expect even more pro-Coach K propaganda to flood the airwaves, which helped our recruiting after Beijing and likely would help with the 2013 and 2014 classes.
    The flipside being that anything less than gold will garner a lot of criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Double DD View Post
    The flipside being that anything less than gold will garner a lot of criticism.
    Enh, people will probably just blame LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Enh, people will probably just blame LeBron.
    Trust me, the NC media - and other Tarheel fans - would be more than happy to heap blame on Coach K. And I'm sure Calipari and the like would always be above pointing out the "failure..."

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Trust me, the NC media - and other Tarheel fans - would be more than happy to heap blame on Coach K. And I'm sure Calipari and the like would always be above pointing out the "failure..."

Ergo - why not Stack the team with UNC and UK players so they HAVE to talk about K to their respective fanbases?
    If its a failure then you can blame execution then trash the players and former coaches. If its a success then they have to submit to the glory that is..

Ram it down their throats and out their gizzards in 1 fell swoop. But then perhaps I am too mild in my approach to opposing fanbases.

Throw the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Ergo - why not Stack the team with UNC and UK players so they HAVE to talk about K to their respective fanbases?
    If its a failure then you can blame execution then trash the players and former coaches. If its a success then they have to submit to the glory that is..

Ram it down their throats and out their gizzards in 1 fell swoop. But then perhaps I am too mild in my approach to opposing fanbases.
    I don't even know if Coach K is that good of a coach, lol.

Wiggins

Anyone know where we stand with Andrew Wiggins? I realize he is '14, but he may reclassify it seems, and regardless, for someone of his caliber, it's never too early to discuss.

It sounds like he's been making waves at EYBL this weekend.

Andrew Slater ‏ @DreDre18
    Andrew Wiggins noticed the Duke coaches and said it's an honor to play in front of Coach K. #EYBL #BDN

Also, his highlights are ridiculous (granted, they are in the highlight reel for a reason).

He appears to have exceptional natural gifts. I know there's a familial connection to FSU, but I hope he'll strongly consider another ACC destination in Durham.

Any thoughts or intel?

Anyone know where we stand with Andrew Wiggins? I realize he is '14, but he may reclassify it seems, and regardless, for someone of his caliber, it's never too early to discuss.

Andrew Wiggins noticed the Duke coaches and said it's an honor to play in front of Coach K. #EYBL #BDN

Also, his highlights are ridiculous (granted, they are in the highlight reel for a reason).

He appears to have exceptional natural gifts. I know there's a familial connection to FSU, but I hope he'll strongly consider another ACC destination in Durham.

Any thoughts or intel?
    Duke would love to get Wiggins, although the maybe-reclass could make he and J. Parker redundant, or at least a pretty tough combo.

FSU is going to be tough to beat, although there are reports of Calipari and Wiggins making googly-eyes at each other.

BTW, if every recruit who was honored to play in front of K and/or honored to be recruited by K had actually signed on the dotted line, Duke would have about 30 guys on scholarship right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke would love to get Wiggins, although the maybe-reclass could make he and J. Parker redundant, or at least a pretty tough combo.

FSU is going to be tough to beat, although there are reports of Calipari and Wiggins making googly-eyes at each other.

BTW, if every recruit who was honored to play in front of K and/or honored to be recruited by K had actually signed on the dotted line, Duke would have about 30 guys on scholarship right now.
    Thanks, Jim. Hopefully Wiggins will stay in 2014 so that, by the time he gets around to a commitment, Cal will have already made like a tree and gotten out of Lexington and gone to the NBA somewhere. Doesn't Andrew know that Cal is just rebounding from his failed bromance with Bazz? "Googly-eyes" - ha!

That is the most explosive 14 year old I've ever seen. Amazing, for his age; with that body and that explosiveness, he looks like a college player right NOW.

Very impressive.

s.i.

Any thoughts or intel?