Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Grant and JJ -- Orlando-Detroit

First time watching Grant play in a long time. Brought back memories of years gone by, he looked great. A nice block on D and several layups straight through the defense. Brought to mind a Billy Joel song, This is the Time.

Given his own thoughts about whether to play after this season and potentially where, we may not get much of a chance to see one of the class acts ever in basketball after this year's playoffs. If the Magic hold on to the eighth spot.

JJ hit a couple of open jumpers, but overall the Magic appear greatly outclassed by the Pistons.

Note that JJ works really hard to get open, but often is ignored by teammates. Since he has about the best FG % and FT % on the team, this seems like a mistake.

JJ

Agreed, much of which I think can be attributed to two reasons: missing the beginning of the season and being a rookie who cannot create his own shot off the dribble.

I missed the game, but you prompted me to find this on JJ's player profile:

so what's he telling McCants, hah.

"Hey, did you get your tats with your Grandmother too?"

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    First time watching Grant play in a long time. Brought back memories of years gone by, he looked great. A nice block on D and several layups straight through the defense. Brought to mind a Billy Joel song, This is the Time.

Given his own thoughts about whether to play after this season and potentially where, we may not get much of a chance to see one of the class acts ever in basketball after this year's playoffs. If the Magic hold on to the eighth spot.

JJ hit a couple of open jumpers, but overall the Magic appear greatly outclassed by the Pistons.
    i didnt see the game but when i read your comment it sounded like they won. then I looked at the box score and they losted, so im guessing you care about classiness more than the win...

lets think before we write

Quote Originally Posted by JJweMISSu View Post
    i didnt see the game but when i read your comment it sounded like they won. then I looked at the box score and they losted, so im guessing you care about classiness more than the win...
    I think he meant the Pistons were in a different "class" or "tier." Not classiness in terms of sportsmanship.

If I am wrong and he does mean sportsmanship, you're comment is still silly because he said the PISTONS outclassed the Magic, and since the Pistons won that would mean he cares about both classiness and winning.

I don't have a dog in the NBA fight, so to speak, since I don't particularly find the NBA entertaining. Just a personal preference.

But I do care more about showing class than winning. I'm glad that sometimes we don't have to make that choice, but for me it's an easy one to make and I don't apologize for it.

I agree that the poster misinterpreted how "class" was being used, BTW, but since the larger issue was presented, I wanted to speak up. May Grant and JJ continue to have productive careers in "the League," because I like them both.
    Last edited by mapei; 04-12-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo

yea they ignore jj

he played 9 and half mins in the 2nd qt, he made two shots real quick, and then he didnt really touch the ball again, and trust me he was wide open, this was all when hill and howard were on the bench and the rest of the team was shooting 5-28 including jj's 2 shots

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I think he meant the Pistons were in a different "class" or "tier." Not classiness in terms of sportsmanship.

If I am wrong and he does mean sportsmanship, you're comment is still silly because he said the PISTONS outclassed the Magic, and since the Pistons won that would mean he cares about both classiness and winning.
    opps i mis read it

Complete and Total Speculation

I have no basis for this, its just something that I keep wondering. For 4 years JJ was pretty much public enemy number 1 in college basketball. Is it possible that some of his teamates actually couldnt stand JJ before he was on their team, and now that he is that sentiment has carried over a little. As we all remember, there was more than dislike of JJ as basketball player, there was actual resentment from a large population of basketball fans. I am sure that most NBA players are fans of the college game, either their team or just the game in general if they didnt go to college.

Just a thought I had, perhaps its way out in left field.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I have no basis for this, its just something that I keep wondering. For 4 years JJ was pretty much public enemy number 1 in college basketball. Is it possible that some of his teamates actually couldnt stand JJ before he was on their team, and now that he is that sentiment has carried over a little. As we all remember, there was more than dislike of JJ as basketball player, there was actual resentment from a large population of basketball fans. I am sure that most NBA players are fans of the college game, either their team or just the game in general if they didnt go to college.

Just a thought I had, perhaps its way out in left field.
    I doubt that players care as much about that stuff as fans, and I *really* doubt that professionals would let that affect how they treated a teammate. If Redick isn't getting the ball, it's probably because he's a rookie who only played part of the season. Nothing more.

its gotta be driving JJ crazy seeing how EASY it is for him to get open in the pros (he doesn't need double and triple screens like college) and now he just can't get the ball/get on the court

I'm sure his teammates are just fine with him. I think the biggest reason for rookie hazing is so the vets get to make fun of the rooks and everyone gets along. There's a JJ vid on youtube and he's getting donuts for his teammates, lol. They get alone fine.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I doubt that players care as much about that stuff as fans, and I *really* doubt that professionals would let that affect how they treated a teammate. If Redick isn't getting the ball, it's probably because he's a rookie who only played part of the season. Nothing more.
    Not only that, but he's a rookie that missed all of the summer camp and pre-season camp due to injuries. Still, he's played his way into Coach Hill's tighter, end-of-season rotation. Back in December/January, JJ was inactive for most games, playing behind Grant, Keyon Dooling, and Keith Bogans. Now, he's in the top 8-9 players and sees action in just about every game - sometimes as much as 20 minutes.

It appears to be very unlikely that Grant will be on the Magic next year - the noises he is making sound like either retirement or signing with a contending team. That will really open up the door for JJ. If he can stay healthy, I'm sure he'll do well in the summer leagues and in pre-season. The team will have a chance to work with him and find out how to use him. JJ's shot is an uncommon weapon, and I have no doubt that the Magic staff will find a way to make better use of it next year.

And, BTW, my inside info says that, yes, not getting his shots when he feels like he could make a difference (like last night) is frustrating him. But last fall was much, much worse.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    JJ's shot is an uncommon weapon, and I have no doubt that the Magic staff will find a way to make better use of it next year.
    Apparently you aren't familiar with how much Brian Hill (Magic HC) sucks.

I agree that JJ will continue to improve, get more minutes, yada yada. And while Orlando is a good fit based on the personel, the coach sucks.

yup, Brian Hill is a chump. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he the only Coach who has had Shaq in on an NBA team and NOT won a championship?

Edit: I guess theres Stan "Ron Jeremy" Van Gundy too

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    yup, Brian Hill is a chump. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he the only Coach who has had Shaq in on an NBA team and NOT won a championship?

Edit: I guess theres Stan "Ron Jeremy" Van Gundy too
    stan van gundy did coach the heat for part of their championship year. so i guess that kind of counts... especially since pat riley supposedly pressured him to resign.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Apparently you aren't familiar with how much Brian Hill (Magic HC) sucks.

I agree that JJ will continue to improve, get more minutes, yada yada. And while Orlando is a good fit based on the personel, the coach sucks.
    Agreed, I went to the magic raptors game last week and after the game leaving the arena I saw people holding signs saying FIRE BRIAN HILL

P.S. Orlando Fans love him... they were constantly chanting his name in the crowd... we want J.J.

What is JJ's FG% ?