Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coach G

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    If anybody knows of any NCAA rules that forbid a woman from coaching a men's team, let me know. I figure if Geno can coach the women Connvicts, Gail could coach the Michigan men's team.
    Geno is too ethical to run the uconn men's program.

Heck, the University of Michigan should offer her the MEN'S basketball head coaching job; that might be worth leaving for, and they could give her a very good salary.

If anybody knows of any NCAA rules that forbid a woman from coaching a men's team, let me know. I figure if Geno can coach the women Connvicts, Gail could coach the Michigan men's team.
    Teresa Phillips, the AD of Tennessee State University, coached the men's team for a single game in 2003 vs Austin Peay State University.
    http://www.tsutigers.com/fullstory.cfm?id=181&sport=1

Nope, Alarie is the one...

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    I figured her for the Jay Bilas type. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ilies/cool.gif
    Hi,

No way, Bilas is way too critical for her.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

No way, Bilas is way too critical for her.

Go Duke!
    Jay would ceaselessly talk about how great every OTHER woman is EXCEPT her.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Geno is too ethical to run the uconn men's program.
    It seems that everyone except bluedog misunderstood my point. I was trying to say that if it is OK for a man to coach a women's team, why couldn't a woman coach a men's team?

That's all I was trying to ask. Forget I mentioned Geno and think about the concept. If ever there was a woman capable of coaching a men's team and making it work, perhaps Coach G is the one. Eventually, a women WILL coach a men's team, don't you think?

Random question about women's timeouts

I have a random question somewhat unrelated to this thread. In any event, I was wondering why Coach G (and most other women's coaches, it seems) have a huddle exclusively with the coaches for about the first 30 seconds or so of the timeout before talking to the players. The players are also talking amongst themselves for the first 30 seconds, I assume.

I'd think that you'd want to maximize the amount of time you talk to your players, and would already have a game plan in place to tell them what it is. Is Coach G just consulting with the other coaches so they are in agreement with what they propose to the players? What possible advantages does this method exhibit? It seems to drastically reduce the amount of time she gets to talk to her players, which seems, to me, to be the main purpose of a time-out.

Maybe I am just being stupid...

It seems that everyone except bluedog misunderstood my point. I was trying to say that if it is OK for a man to coach a women's team, why couldn't a woman coach a men's team?

That's all I was trying to ask. Forget I mentioned Geno and think about the concept. If ever there was a woman capable of coaching a men's team and making it work, perhaps Coach G is the one. Eventually, a women WILL coach a men's team, don't you think?
    I agree with you - women will coach men's teams eventually, and there is really no good reason why they shouldn't. It is only a matter of time, though it still make take many more years for someone to break through that ceiling. In many ways, women's basketball coaches have a much tougher job. For example, it is far more difficult to motivate female athletes and to build/maintain team chemistry among women (guys will play with teammates they hate, as long as they can play; with most guys, just challenge their manhood or toughness, and they will pick it up).

But I don't think Coach G is the best candidate just because her coaching style at this point probably wouldn't easily adapt to the men's game. Pat Summit is the best candidate among current female coaches - her withering glare has no gender bias. She has more of an in-your-face motivational style, which generally works better for guys.

If you think about it, (paging Dr. Freud, paging Dr. Freud) ARGUABLY, men might be most effective coaching women 18+ yrs old, and women would be most effective coaching men 18+ yrs old. Not to get too detailed about this theory, but if anyone is familiar with Anson Dorrance's or Geno Auriemma's thoughts on this issue it sort of goes like this: most female athletes are psychologically wired to want to please a father-figure/male coach type. Vice versa for guys- if a mother-figure/female coach ever says she is disappointed with their effort, etc., many male athletes would respond better to that (they might tune out "dad's" criticism). It's a theory, nothing more.

LSU and Texas

Quote Originally Posted by dockfan View Post
    but to my knowledge she has no connection to Texas or LSU, and both of those programs are a fairly significant step down from Duke right now and in the near future.
    Historically, women's teams from LSU and Texas have been able to develop much more of a fan base than at Duke. Do we ever fill up Cameron for women's games other than maybe UNC?

While these programs may be down now, Coach G could look at this as a new challenge and, in the long run, I think there is more potential for her to actually generate revenue at schools like these so she could command a higher salary. I wouldn't want to see it happen because she's becoming (has become) as important to the women's program as K is to the men and is slowly but surely building a dynasty similar to Duke men. A championship would solidify her place in Duke and NCAA history for sure.

But these are the facts as I see them and money talks. Truth is, if she can't get it here, there is no reason not to expect her to shop herself around. Who wouldn't expect her to?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

My opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I have a random question somewhat unrelated to this thread. In any event, I was wondering why Coach G (and most other women's coaches, it seems) have a huddle exclusively with the coaches for about the first 30 seconds or so of the timeout before talking to the players. The players are also talking amongst themselves for the first 30 seconds, I assume.

I'd think that you'd want to maximize the amount of time you talk to your players, and would already have a game plan in place to tell them what it is. Is Coach G just consulting with the other coaches so they are in agreement with what they propose to the players? What possible advantages does this method exhibit? It seems to drastically reduce the amount of time she gets to talk to her players, which seems, to me, to be the main purpose of a time-out.

Maybe I am just being stupid...

I have stated on here before that I coach a middle school basketball team and I know that sometimes I call a timeout when the other team is making a run and things are not going well and them I am not sure what we need to do different. I think the hardest part of being a coach is making IN-GAME strategy changes. You can always look back and say "oh I should have done this," but the great coaches are the ones who can make those changes and adjustments during the game the quickest. So I think during those huddles they are putting there heads together to determine the adjustments that need to be made. I know as a head coach you get caught up with the officials, substitutions, timeouts, the score, etc. and it is easy to overlook a simple adjustment that could be made to benefit your team. That is where the assistant coaches come in and observe something and make suggestions to the head coach and then he/she has the authority to make the change or not. I know I coach the team by myself and there are plenty of times I wish I had assistants to get their advice or input about things DURING THE GAME. That is what I envision going on those huddles But for all I know they could be talking about the new hairstyle that one of them just got.

also, with the extended media time outs that the women's game has now, the first thing the coaches do (some of them, not all, see coach K) is to let the players sit and get their quick drink. instead of just waiting with nothing to say while that happens, they discuss with the assistants, get their input and then go address the players.

It's usually only the long media or full time outs that this happens on. You don't see it on the 30 second time outs obviously.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Mars/Venus

As to the huddle...could this be the female consensus-building style of leading dynamic being played out at a major-college-sport level?

Would be an intriguing thesis for an enterprising Sociology major - compare the leadership styles of Coaches K and G! Maybe a BBall player (men's or women's) could do it as they know half the equation intimately!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I have a random question somewhat unrelated to this thread. In any event, I was wondering why Coach G (and most other women's coaches, it seems) have a huddle exclusively with the coaches for about the first 30 seconds or so of the timeout before talking to the players.
    I recall G being asked that question once, and her saying that its important to make clear, simple points in a timeout, and the coaches' huddle is designed to avoid mixed messages in the team huddle by reaching agreement on what is going to be said and by whom.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

(Fixes hair in mirror and makes sure teeth are clean). Well, OK, if she is interested in an accomplished California businessman who loves life and would support her in all endeavors please have her get a hold of me. After the tourney, of course. Maybe we could go on a trip somewhere to celebrate the season.

Kewl "wow I would be a happy man" swim
    Traitorous swine! What would Doris say?????
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Traitorous swine! What would Doris say?????

"We want pre-nup, we want pre-nup."

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine