Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach G

Cool Coach G

Any feeling on whether or not Coach G would actually leave Duke for Texas, LSU, etc., or is this just a negotiating ploy? She could outright deny it, but hasn't. I hope this isn't a distraction for the team, because they deserve a championship.

Andy from HIllsborough

I'd say there's pretty much NO chance of Coach G leaving Duke for another school. If there were family concerns or ties to another area, it might happen, but to my knowledge she has no connection to Texas or LSU, and both of those programs are a fairly significant step down from Duke right now and in the near future.

There's probably a better chance of Pat Summitt leaving Tennessee or Geno Auriemma leaving UConn, either to coach professionally or switch to the men's side.

Maybe the only chance for Coach G to jump to another school would be if Michigan were to build fantastic facilities, make her the highest-paid coach in women's basketball, and maybe even offer her husband Tommy Amaker's old job to sweeten the deal.

I just saw a post about this on the Women's Hoops Blog, and I'm somewhat alarmed--the quote from Joe Alleva isn't reassuring:
    "[Pat Summitt and Geno Auriemma have] both won a lot of national championships and are part of programs that make money for their institutions. They bring in profit for their athletic departments, and that's not the case for our women's program," Alleva said. "I'm sure some of these other institutions will offer significantly large packages to encourage her to go."
    While I can understand to some extent making profitability an issue, this year particularly is a bad one to start say that. The men washed out in the first round of the tournament, while the women have a very good shot at winning it all; Coach G has turned the Duke women's program into a national powerhouse; people camped out for the first time for a women's game; yet you're apparently not willing to consider paying her what she's worth? I just hope that she's happy enough at Duke that money isn't the only consideration for her.

Quote Originally Posted by dockfan View Post
    I...maybe even offer her husband Tommy Amaker's old job to sweeten the deal.
    I've heard that she and her husband have split.

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    Whoa, that certainly changes things. I had not heard that.

Plus, Coach G first saying "I don't know" when asked if she was interested in the Texas job is a little curious.

Still, the talk (on Alleva's side and her side) is probably just negotiating tactics.

I'd be shocked to see her leave, especially with the new practice facility they are building at Duke (for the men and the women), the recruits coming in next year, and of course the potential to coach Elena Delle Donne in two years (who is most definitely NOT looking at LSU, Texas, Florida, or Michigan).

It would be inexcusable, though, if Coach G's comments spurred enough speculation over the next couple weeks to cause a major distraction for this team.

I just saw a post about this on the Women's Hoops Blog, and I'm somewhat alarmed--the quote from Joe Alleva isn't reassuring:
    While I can understand to some extent making profitability an issue, this year particularly is a bad one to start say that. The men washed out in the first round of the tournament, while the women have a very good shot at winning it all; Coach G has turned the Duke women's program into a national powerhouse; people camped out for the first time for a women's game; yet you're apparently not willing to consider paying her what she's worth? I just hope that she's happy enough at Duke that money isn't the only consideration for her.
    you can't compare salaries across revenue and non-revenue sports. it would be like complaining that the swimming coach makes 15 times less than coach k. the issue is not how good the team is - the women's field hockey and cross-country teams are just as successful, if not moreso. i'd be surprised if the women's cross-country coach was pulling in $50,000/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    you can't compare salaries across revenue and non-revenue sports. it would be like complaining that the swimming coach makes 15 times less than coach k. the issue is not how good the team is - the women's field hockey and cross-country teams are just as successful, if not moreso. i'd be surprised if the women's cross-country coach was pulling in $50,000/yr.
    I'm not sure I understand what point you're making here. Coach G's salary isn't being compared to that of coaches of other sports at Duke, but to those of coaches of other women's basketball programs, which is a very valid comparison, IMO.

the difference is that a few other women's programs ARE revenue sports, thus they can justify the $500,000+ salaries.

as long as duke's program is non-revenue (and as far as i know, it's not close to being otherwise) it's not logical to compare salaries to a revenue sport. thus the comparison with our other non-revenue sports.

edit: as an addendum, you can make the same argument that certain football coaches are making way too much (i.e. programs not pulling in money). you won't get any argument from me.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    the difference is that a few other women's programs ARE revenue sports, thus they can justify the $500,000+ salaries.

as long as duke's program is non-revenue (and as far as i know, it's not close to being otherwise) it's not logical to compare salaries to a revenue sport. thus the comparison with our other non-revenue sports.

edit: as an addendum, you can make the same argument that certain football coaches are making way too much (i.e. programs not pulling in money). you won't get any argument from me.
    I think you mean revenue generating sports. Women's basketball is considered a revenue sport by Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    I think you mean revenue generating sports. Women's basketball is considered a revenue sport by Duke.
    Women's basketball lost $2million last season. I can't imagine that Duke defines this as a "revenue sport".

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...ntedstoriestab

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Women's basketball lost $2million last season. I can't imagine that Duke defines this as a "revenue sport".

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...ntedstoriestab
    While I agree that the team has lost money I do believe that Duke considers both basketball teams and the football team as revenue sports. That is always the explanation given to me for why the women's team charges money for admission. I could be wrong, but that is my current belief.

Now, whether revenue sports requires that the sport generate positive revenue is another question. That is why I made the distinction between revenue generating sport and revenue sport.

Really?

Hi,

(Fixes hair in mirror and makes sure teeth are clean). Well, OK, if she is interested in an accomplished California businessman who loves life and would support her in all endeavors please have her get a hold of me. After the tourney, of course. Maybe we could go on a trip somewhere to celebrate the season.

Kewl "wow I would be a happy man" swim

Women's basketball is classified as a revenue sport by the NCAA, though the vast majority actually lose money. Here is an interesting article on women's teams, and specifically ACC teams, and their money situation. I think there's a good point raised there, and that's that you have to spend money to make money. Now that Duke's team is doing so well, they really could be marketed a lot more aggressively and have a shot at turning a profit, or at least reducing the losses quite a bit.

Heck, the University of Michigan should offer her the MEN'S basketball head coaching job; that might be worth leaving for, and they could give her a very good salary.

If anybody knows of any NCAA rules that forbid a woman from coaching a men's team, let me know. I figure if Geno can coach the women Connvicts, Gail could coach the Michigan men's team.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Heck, the University of Michigan should offer her the MEN'S basketball head coaching job; that might be worth leaving for, and they could give her a very good salary.

If anybody knows of any NCAA rules that forbid a woman from coaching a men's team, let me know. I figure if Geno can coach the women Connvicts, Gail could coach the Michigan men's team.
    Geno wouldn't coach the UConn men- he'd leave to coach the men at Rutgers or St. John's or something, so he could directly compete against Calhoun.

And I would instantly become the biggest Geno fan.

What kewlswin said.

At some places, I think, WBB is the money-losingest sport. This is because it draws less revenue than MBB does, but it has to spend money on a revenue-sport scale because of trans-continental travel, tv schedules, &c. Men's wrestling and women's track don't have to spend the kind of money that WBB does getting to holiday tournaments in Hawaii and what have you. So it's this weird hybrid of rev/nonrev.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

(Fixes hair in mirror and makes sure teeth are clean). Well, OK, if she is interested in an accomplished California businessman who loves life and would support her in all endeavors please have her get a hold of me. After the tourney, of course. Maybe we could go on a trip somewhere to celebrate the season.

Kewl "wow I would be a happy man" swim
    Kewl,

(Fixes BOTH hairs and puts teeth back in) Why would she call you? I fit that description as well. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ilies/wink.gif

3rd

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    Kewl,

(Fixes BOTH hairs and puts teeth back in) Why would she call you? I fit that description as well. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ilies/wink.gif

3rd
    Hi,

Meanie. I can dream can't I? Some guy like Mark Alarie will probably sweep her off her feet and I will be left with a broken heart.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

Meanie. I can dream can't I? Some guy like Mark Alarie will probably sweep her off her feet and I will be left with a broken heart.

GO DUKE!
    I figured her for the Jay Bilas type. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ilies/cool.gif