The gals have done it!!!!!!
    Love, Ima
    I agree!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

ACC Champs!

Congrats to the Duke Women, 81 - 66 victors over the Tar Heels today!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

While we are at it, lets also not put up a photo of our opponent. For example, before the St Johns game, there was a picture up of them I believe. How 'bout we just go with focusing on Duke and put up Random Duke pictures instead.

-Just a suggestion.

Funny

Funny, I'm glad I was not the only one hating the teddy bear, This morning before I got on this site I was thinking to myself, I hope the sad bear is not posted. And there it was. It made me more upset and frustrated. Oh, the rain in the triangle today are my tears. Anyone else what to fess up?

There It Is

That's the performance we've been waiting all year to see. Offense in rhythm, defensive intensity, and attacking the glass on both ends. Huge contributions from AV and Haley Peters. A couple of big plays by Chloe Wells when it really mattered. Star performances from the seniors.

Carolina is going to cause some higher ranked team a real nightmare at some point in the tournament. When DeGraffenreid has her head on straight and they get the ball inside, they are really difficult to defend. Jessica Breland is the feel-good story in women's college basketball this year, and she put up a monster performance today.

Duke looked like a Final Four team today. Four more performances like that, and they will be one.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    ur more performances like that, and they will be one.
    A lot (a LOT) depends on matchups. Any of the four one seeds (essentially locks at this point) are going to be a tough match.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't mind the bear, but Ima's right, victory over the heels is once again ours, put up the flowers in the quad!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

While I hate the bear, it is because of what leads to it.

And while I am glad for the girls team, their achievement doesn't quite do the job, as far as making up for last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    While I hate the bear, it is because of what leads to it.

And while I am glad for the girls team, their achievement doesn't quite do the job, as far as making up for last night.
    It's not their job to make up for last night. Last night has NOTHING to do with the women and their terrific accomplishments this year, and as usual, they are being shortchanged when it comes to being appreciated.
    Love, Ima

Big ups to the BDW. I got to see the highlights at a restaurant tonight, and how weird it was to see outside shots falling for a change! Of course, those were just highlights. And there was that one crazy off-balance shot that banked in. Congratulations!

Still, it's hard to see how it's not UConn and everyone else. Or maybe Stanford too... but WBB is probably as far from parity as it's ever been, pretty much the mirror image of the men's game in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by GLTBD View Post
    Funny, I'm glad I was not the only one hating the teddy bear, This morning before I got on this site I was thinking to myself, I hope the sad bear is not posted. And there it was. It made me more upset and frustrated. Oh, the rain in the triangle today are my tears. Anyone else what to fess up?
    Sure. I think I already posted in the UNC-Duke (2) postgame thread that it was time to "lose the bear". I would like to see something more optimistic, akin to "next play" (like the next opponent, when known) or at least, something to look forward to.

It was a cute idea once. Now it's dreaded because of what it represents. And even with just 4 appearances this season, it's really worn out its welcome. Time to retire it.

I think winning your [major] conference tourney should be rewarded with not being seeded with Connecticut. Right? Right?

This makes up for yesterday. Thanks, Thomas Thomas & Christmas. Et al.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I think winning your [major] conference tourney should be rewarded with not being seeded with Connecticut. Right? Right?
    You're ignoring the "Charlie Creme is a Duke-Hating Dunce" factor. All last week, his bracket had Duke as number eight overall - behind three teams that Duke beat. So Miami loses, and he puts UCLA above us.

Hopefully the selection committee will pay attention to objective factors like RPI and SOS. If it does, we should be the fourth number one seed, with Tennessee as the two in our region.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Wait, what? An ACC Championship doesn't make up for a regular-season loss whose only practical effect is that the managers have to pack both white and blue unis for next weekend?

With all due respect, that's just bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    It's not their job to make up for last night. Last night has NOTHING to do with the women and their terrific accomplishments this year, and as usual, they are being shortchanged when it comes to being appreciated.
    Love, Ima
    Agreed. And by the way, who is the girls' team? Do they go to the same school as the Duke boys' team? It really drives me nuts when the Duke Women's Basketball team is referred to as the girls' team or the Lady Blue Devils. High school teams are girls' teams and boys' teams. Duke has a men's varsity basketball team and a women's varsity basketball team. Both (like all of Duke's 26 varsity sports) share the nickname of "Blue Devils" - sorry, it's just a real pet peeve.

And Saturday night and Sunday's events are completely separate from each other. As disappointed as I am about Saturday's events, I am very happy about winning an ACC Championship (and watching Swofford give us the auto bid and trophy) and the triumph's of all of Duke's other varsity athletics teams this weekend.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Oh, Sylvia

"It's hard to play four days in a row like that, but we put ourselves in that position," coach Sylvia Hatchell said. "If we maybe were a little fresher, we might have been able to pull it out, make some of those shots around the basket."

With Sylvia, there is always something to whine about. You would think she would have said how proud she was that the team turned things around and won three straight after having lost four in a row.

At least she didn't blame the loss on not having scrimmaged with the football team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=310650150

Great win Devils! Beautiful team basketball. The blending of veteran and rookie players has been well-orchestrated by Coach P and the assistant coaches. And these gals are tough!!

A Womens ACC Championship trumps a regular season mens loss any day of the week. If Coach K can pull off another ACC Championship (his specialty, by the way), yesterday's loss will seem trivial indeed.

Hail the Champions! Let's go Duke!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Great win Devils! Beautiful team basketball. The blending of veteran and rookie players has been well-orchestrated by Coach P and the assistant coaches. And these gals are tough!!

A Womens ACC Championship trumps a regular season mens loss any day of the week. If Coach K can pull off another ACC Championship (his specialty, by the way), yesterday's loss will seem trivial indeed.

My thoughts exactly. Karima and jaz were not to be denied.

Ps. Hats off to Breland who was outstanding.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post

Agreed. That one felt really good, and I think the Duke fans collectively were in need of something to feel good about right then. Jaz, Christmas, Peters, Gray, Vernerey, and the rest... Wow! Just a solid, steady effort that simply wore down the heels. We really seem to have found our groove again, and a fairly clear (defense-first) identity. I thought Coach P and the girls seemed to really be enjoying themselves and each other afterwards, which was just terrific to see.

Now on to a great seeding and continued steady play in the NCAA. And don't forget the great class coming in next year too. This program is just so solid - thanks to the care and feeding by some terrific Seniors!

-BD "Isn't it so wierd tha ladies now have to wait over a week to receive their seeds?!" -BD