Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Barnes to UNC

I'm so disappointed I could spit nails.

I was watching on the gym TV and the second he said "Coach Roy Williams" I ripped my headphones out of the treadmill and stormed out.

Then imagine my suprise when I saw this on my google news reader:

Freaking LA Times.

I'm going to go break something, then get over this at some point.

Meh, top recruits come and top recruits go in men's college basketball. And more frequently they go after just one year. Here's hoping he's just that successful (but not so much that Carolina beats us).

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    Let's just face it, we can not compete in recruiting with UNC, I don't know what the reason is, but we will be playing second fiddle to them for a long time. I just do not see how anyone could have anything positive to say about this situation, the reality is UNC will more than likely, win it all next year. We just don't have the core to do that.
    Jordan is the primary reason.

dukemsu

I wish the google summary of the LA Times article was right...headlined "Harrison Barnes chooses Duke. "

But, it's not...and because of that, I will be hoping for HB to fail as he is now part of the evil empire. I still respect him as an individual and respect his choice, but want the Heels to lose every game.

Edit: feldspar beat me to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seriously, the question now is why.

I'm not going to make the biggest deal on this. It's a huge loss, doubly so because he goes to the Holes.

But when you have the lead on recruiting him, to have it slip hurts bad. We'll still be great next year.

But this doesn't mean we shouldn't re-evaluate how we're going at recruits...I mean so, if we lost him because of the business major (which would be unbelievable to me...a Tarheel business education CANNOT be as good as ANY Duke Education for preparing you for your post bball career. Ba-lon-ey), well then we move on. Can't change the curriculum for recruits.

If we lost because of how K talked to him, or what we did on OVs...well that's more of a problem. Carolina went all out for him. Did we go as far as we could have?

One last thought: We thought having the last OV was a big difference. And it might've helped us, who knows. But because he took his OV so late, he couldn't play pick-up games with our players like he did with other teams...including Carolina. That could have been big, as he was able to see where he might fit in with Carolina, and was able to see how he'd fit in with the guys.

It's hard to duplicate that simply by watching practices.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

6. Disappointed

UNC has got so many talented players now, that they might self-destruct.

Quote Originally Posted by bass-piscator View Post
    Best of luck to a Hole. Not from me. The whole announcement to me was a presentation of self importance.

Absolutely. I would probably love Harrison Barnes off the court and as a person, but I will NEVER say best of luck to a Tar Heel. I too was dissapointed in that presentation.

Let's just face it, we can not compete in recruiting with UNC, I don't know what the reason is, but we will be playing second fiddle to them for a long time. I just do not see how anyone could have anything positive to say about this situation, the reality is UNC will more than likely, win it all next year. We just don't have the core to do that.
    And here we go

Roy Williams is just on another planet with recruiting right now. He takes whoever he wants and that is just how it goes when you win those championships. Duke had him in the bag and Roy turned him. Plain and Simple. There is just nothing that can be done about it...

Heck of a team this year and in 2010-2011. Good times ahead regardless. Lets Go Duke.

OUCH

This one hurts a little. I like everyone else am very upset. I am just so confused! Him and K seemed to be so close...

Geez... we can't compete in recruiting with UNC. Relax man.

I agree we have been getting smashed as of late on the recruiting front.
    We definitely have.

But I'm hoping with Kyrie and our other recurits/the rest of our team we can
    get back to longer runs in the NCAAs and hopefully this will help on this end. Our early exits I'm sure hasn't helped at all.

It's not over.

It can't be over...

While chasing Phenoms seems to be the new thing. I remember that our best teams are filled with a group of young men who have a desire to win collectively.

I dislike the whole chasing effort in recruitng. Its a shame that it can;t be like the good ol days when we chose rather then being chosen.

I was a bit disappointed with Patterson.

Surprised about Wright.

This one, for the first time, is disapointing. I thought we had this kid - early too.

Well, you still play the game on the court and we have a great team - even better next year.

I will never, never, never watch a recruit pick his college choice again.

Are you serious?

I was very impressed with how K and the staff conducted Harrison's recruitment. I am also very impressed with the talent we now have and coming next year. I don't think we should give up all hope just yet. Does this put them as the favorite next year? Maybe, depending on who all comes back. Duke will certainly be in the mix both this year and next and I don't think there will be any playing second fiddle.

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    This one hurts a little. I like everyone else am very upset. I am just so confused! Him and K seemed to be so close...

A little? That was a complete slug to the stomach and it still hurts. Unbelievable. I am all for civility, but man... Coach K simply doesn't have it when you compare him to Roy. It's the nasty, ugly truth. What can you do as a fan? Nothin...

I hate him cuz he's a hole

Very simple-- I want to beat this kid silly on the basketball court, just b/c of the uniform he's going to wear. Don't think he's dumb, misguided, evil or anything else, and I don't think his commitment to UNC signifies anything in particular. I just want to beat the Holes every time we see them this year and for ever and ever in the future. Bend 'em over and teach 'em proper.

Go Duke!!!

ps-- those skype shenanigans were lame

Red face Congratulations HB! Best of luck to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueequalslife23 View Post
    This one hurts more than Boynton, Monroe, Patterson X1336738902
    Congratulations to Harrison. I'm sure that it was a very tough decision. He's a great kid, and I'm sure that he will go on to do great things. (Let's just hope that most of them are AFTER he gets drafted next year!!) ;-)

Everybody remember that this was a kid who, an hour ago, we were all saying high praises about and would still wish he were a Dukie. He has earned everyone's respect - a class act throughout the process.

I am baffled how UNC-ch seems to be able to just "pick" whoever they want in recent years. And, yes, this one will hurt for quite a while -- it was a classic Duke-UNC recruiting battle. He certainly seemed like a great Duke kinda guy. Congrats to UNC-ch for a great pick-up. It sure is gonna be fun beating them next year with "less heralded players..."

Come on down Roscoe -- we can't wait to have you join the Duke family! A great fit, both ways!!

Next play!!

-BDBD

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Absolutely. I would probably love Harrison Barnes off the court and as a person, but I will NEVER say best of luck to a Tar Heel. I too was dissapointed in that presentation.
    Had it been K on the other end, we would have loved how smart he was to set it all up...

Good luck HB, we can't wait until you come to "our house"

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyduke View Post
    I will never, never, never watch a recruit pick his college choice again.
    A-freaking-men to that.

What a fiasco that news conference was. Skyping? Seriously?

I like the kid as a person, but he's now officially the new Carolina player i'm going to enjoy competitively hating over the next several years.

Someone needs to get a sign ready for his first game in Cameron that says "HEY BARNES, SKYPE THIS!!"