Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not to be lost in that was that the guy who finished second in that race to the ball was Mason. That's desire to win right there. Two guys beating VT to the ball on a 75-foot race for what would be the deciding bucket.
    Excellent observation CDu. That was impressive and I noticed it live as well. For a minute I thought Mason was going to beat them all to the ball. Also agree with an earlier post about our perimeter players being putrid with post feeding. It's befuddling. With Tyler, they layoff so far it makes it impossible for him to feed the post, so that negates the best post-entry passer we have. Austin also missed a very wide open Mason off the pick and roll late in the game. Of course Mason bobbled two of Austin's earlier passes so it equalled out in a sense.

I just feel as a team, we need to work harder to get the bigs touches on the block. They can score if we get them the ball down there.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    Well, of course!! But I am thinking about tomorrow and the next day. Seriously, while we didn't have a good shooting night VT DID leave at least 16 point blank range points hanging out there. They didn't finish well.
    I don't think we can count on that happening from here on out.... if 8 of those points would have fallen, the game would have been very different in the last several minutes.
    While we rightfully lament our disappointing shooting from 3 point land, VT should be kicking themselves in the butt for leaving so many points in the paint where USUALLY a team has a MUCH higher percent of makes.
    Do you really want to play the, "What if" game?

Seriously, Dre missed two lay-ups along with two 3 pt shots, which were superwide open. Throw in several of Tyler's wide open misses and a couple of bunnies that Mason and Miles left on the table and I'd say we were even.

Accept the win and the way in which it came as par for the course this season, nothing's been easy for this team, but the vast majority of the time they've found a way to get it done.

That was a pretty awful display of Mr. Naismiths game by both teams. Just gross. Glad we won. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Excellent observation CDu. That was impressive and I noticed it live as well. For a minute I thought Mason was going to beat them all to the ball. Also agree with an earlier post about our perimeter players being putrid with post feeding. It's befuddling. With Tyler, they layoff so far it makes it impossible for him to feed the post, so that negates the best post-entry passer we have. Austin also missed a very wide open Mason off the pick and roll late in the game. Of course Mason bobbled two of Austin's earlier passes so it equalled out in a sense.

I just feel as a team, we need to work harder to get the bigs touches on the block. They can score if we get them the ball down there.
    Kelly is pretty good feeding Mason in the post, but our guards aren't. I credit VT's post D, they were very quick to double and triple Mason, the scouting report must talk about the ability to make him walk and cough up the ball. We have definitely gone away from trying to get him going early in games, but maybe it is more that the other defenses are trying to take that away as a #1 or #2 priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Tournament time brings out a lot of close games. We won ours, but Syracuse didn't and Kansas is in trouble and may lose. Kentucky won but it was a close game.

What worries me about tonight is the high PT from a shortened bench. I thought they looked tired at the end after banging all game long. It would be great to get Andre going offensively. The past few games can't have helped his confidence.
    It sure looks like his confidence has really taken a swan dive. He had some good looks from 3 and at the rim and could not connect. He really needs a game that he hits his first couple of 3s, but we've been saying that for a while now. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Kelly is pretty good feeding Mason in the post, but our guards aren't. I credit VT's post D, they were very quick to double and triple Mason, the scouting report must talk about the ability to make him walk and cough up the ball. We have definitely gone away from trying to get him going early in games, but maybe it is more that the other defenses are trying to take that away as a #1 or #2 priority.
    Part of Kelly's ability to feed the post include his height and his ability to hit shots more than Thornton. But mostly his height.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    That was a pretty awful display of Mr. Naismiths game by both teams.
    Hey, we scored more baskets than in the first game ever played. That's something I'm not certain Georgia Tech could have said last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    All game, the refs were calling blocks instead of charges. If I am not mistaken, the only charge they called was very odd, when one of the VT big had the ball and kind of cleared our on Tyler under our hoop and they called a charge. We may have drawn another charge, too, but the whistles were going all block tonight, which I kind of liked.
    The charge on Raines was well-deserved, I think. He lowered his shoulder and cleared Thornton out. Totally agree with you on the other calls though. For the most part, I feel like officials have become too willing to call the charge, to the point that guys are getting away with all sorts of crazy slide-ins that should be blocks. The officials tonight called it much tighter on the block/charge and I appreciate it. I know that probably goes against our guys, because we've always been big on drawing charges. But I think it's good for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Crud. The game was on a different station than ESPN???

Soooooo would have changed the channel.
    Watch the games tomorrow on CBS if you're in ACC country. Outside of ACC country? ESPN is all you get.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    That was a pretty awful display of Mr. Naismiths game by both teams. Just gross. Glad we won. That is all.
    At this time of year, I just enjoy every win. Win baby, just win. GoDuke!

Part of Kelly's ability to feed the post include his height and his ability to hit shots more than Thornton. But mostly his height.
    Seemed like when Tyler was trying to feed Mason in this game, his man was more fronting Mason than respecting Tyler's shot. I think either we have to live with Tyler shooting the open shot in that case, or have a different guard feeding the post.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The charge on Raines was well-deserved, I think. He lowered his shoulder and cleared Thornton out. Totally agree with you on the other calls though. For the most part, I feel like officials have become too willing to call the charge, to the point that guys are getting away with all sorts of crazy slide-ins that should be blocks. The officials tonight called it much tighter on the block/charge and I appreciate it. I know that probably goes against our guys, because we've always been big on drawing charges. But I think it's good for the game.
    For the most part, I thought it was a pretty well officiated game. It would have been nice to get an over the back call, but they let both teams play.

I hope the calling blocks when guys move under players who have already left their feet. There are so many things that are done in the name of safety (like the flagrant foul rules), but I see this a being a bigger potential risk. The officiating has evolved to the point that they often call fouls based on where the drive started than whether or not the defender moved underneath.

Where's the O?

This game is pretty much what we expected right? Tech is going to battle you all night, and without Ryan our offense looked a bit out of sync. Put him in and we probably win by 12-14 or so. Saw him in a boot, I hope that doesn't mean anything more than he is just being very cautious. Tyler was huge, big put backs, was confidant in his shot, and he played good D.

Seth needs to get his offense going, he just seems off. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow we'll have had one under our belt without Kelly and the offense will run more smoothly. Didn't help that Miles was in foul trouble as well, that's two large hurdles to overcome against a solid defensive team, and we battled to the W.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieEngineer View Post
    For the most part, I thought it was a pretty well officiated game. It would have been nice to get an over the back call, but they let both teams play.

I hope the calling blocks when guys move under players who have already left their feet. There are so many things that are done in the name of safety (like the flagrant foul rules), but I see this a being a bigger potential risk. The officiating has evolved to the point that they often call fouls based on where the drive started than whether or not the defender moved underneath.
    I agree with you on this. It's a wonder more players are not injured when this occurs. GoDuke!

Boxscore

Official Boxscore

Despite poor field goal shooting, both teams shot well from the line.

Dawkins, Rivers and Curry combined from 3-pt 2-13
    Tyler Thornton from 3-pt 3-13

Mason played 37 minutes and had a pretty good stat line which included 12 points, 4-5 FT, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks; he turned it over 3 times, but the team had only 8 turnovers total.

My favorite part was the part where we won.

My second favorite part was when the Maryland fans bombed the Raycom All-ACC poll and Stoglin and Mosley ended up on the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Winning a tournament game = a good thing.

Winning despite shooting poorly = also a good thing.
    Winning when your shots don't fall is a sign of a tough team. Duke played hard and won. That is tourney ball. Tomorrow they may not miss. We can only hope.

Well officiated games and no Karl Hess...

Coincidence? Or conspiracy?!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Official Boxscore

Despite poor field goal shooting, both teams shot well from the line.

Dawkins, Rivers and Curry combined from 3-pt 2-13
    Tyler Thornton from 3-pt 3-13

Mason played 37 minutes and had a pretty good stat line which included 12 points, 4-5 FT, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks; he turned it over 3 times, but the team had only 8 turnovers total.
    roywhite thanks for the link. Our guards combined for 18 rebounds. That's outstanding and something we've been wanting from our guards. GoDuke!

That Rivers layup at the end was big... iced the game.

It also sent Len Elmore into a tizzy about Duke getting away with a foul, as a bonus.
    Lots of heart shown on that play!