Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WBB: Duke Vs. Stanford (NCAA Tourney Regional Final)

Game is monday at 9pm, a trip to the final four to play baylor/tennessee is on the line.

How does duke deal with the twin towers down low who scored 50 today?

I think foul trouble ends up playing a huge role, if E-will gets in foul trouble, duke is in trouble (we saw what happened when she had to play soft against uconn to avoid fouls), but if she can stay out of trouble, thats a huge plus.

I believe the only common opponent is Uconn, to whom stanford lose by 10 and duke by 16.

Stanfords record is gaudy, yes, but the teams they have beaten isn't. Tennessee and texas are their only ranked wins, and the game against tennesse was in mid december (texas even earlier)...so its really quite unknown how good they really are. They got the one seed, but the sample size of big time games (which is really all that matters in womens ball) is so so small. They could be in for a surprise.

Duke on the other hand, since the bad loss in the ACCs has looked phenomenal...something must have clicked since then.

I think we're in for a good game, If I had to bet my life on it, I'd pick Stanford...but I also picked St Johns tonight...so...duke can certainly prove me wrong, and it would be great for duke to finally get the elusive final four under P.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think it very difficult to use this past season as a guide to look to how we may fair against Stanford simply because we are playing so insanely well right now on both sides of the ball. Talk about timing...the women could not have picked a better time to pull things together so well on the offensive front. Throw in their stifling defense and it's no surprise they've been putting up the scores we've seen. Just as it's probably not wise to use the regular season as a predictor, here's a stat that we shouldn't use to look ahead either...but it's fun to think about nonetheless. The women's average margin of victory in the tournament so far is 26, and that includes a 16 point win against Vandy (that was not in reality a "16 point win" but much more) on their home court against a loud partisan crowd.
    So that leaves me in thinking I have no idea what will happen tomorrow night, but it will probably be lots of fun to watch. Go Duke!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don't know if it was as obvious on TV as it was from a seat 15 rows back from foul line extended, but South Carolina is really, really small. Ogwumike was playing right over the top of them all night. We have enough size to make a difference. I also wasn't terribly impressed with Orrange, Stanford's point guard. I think Chelsea's physicality can give her problems.

We can win this game. It will not be easy, but it is a real possibility.

If the team continues our amazing play lately, we should have a legitimate shot to win. I hope our players keep a hungry, underdog attitude, and don't get overconfident because of the way they smacked Vanderbilt and St. John's around. A poor start could be disastrous. But as long as we keep our intensity and don't get into foul trouble, I like our chances.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    MHTorringjan has a great preview up on CrazieTalk.Net. It covers our game and the sweet sixteen in general.

http://crazietalk.net/?p=617
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Mon night Game - Match-up is a Good One for Devils

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Game is monday at 9pm, a trip to the final four to play baylor/tennessee is on the line.

How does duke deal with the twin towers down low who scored 50 today?

I think foul trouble ends up playing a huge role, if E-will gets in foul trouble, duke is in trouble (we saw what happened when she had to play soft against uconn to avoid fouls), but if she can stay out of trouble, thats a huge plus.

I believe the only common opponent is Uconn, to whom stanford lose by 10 and duke by 16.

Stanfords record is gaudy, yes, but the teams they have beaten isn't. Tennessee and texas are their only ranked wins, and the game against tennesse was in mid december (texas even earlier)...so its really quite unknown how good they really are. They got the one seed, but the sample size of big time games (which is really all that matters in womens ball) is so so small. They could be in for a surprise.

Duke on the other hand, since the bad loss in the ACCs has looked phenomenal...something must have clicked since then.

I think we're in for a good game, If I had to bet my life on it, I'd pick Stanford...but I also picked St Johns tonight...so...duke can certainly prove me wrong, and it would be great for duke to finally get the elusive final four under P.
    For all of their size advantage Stanford only played SC to a draw on the boards. They also had 3 more turnovers playing against a less than overwhelming SC defense. They did shoot well, and played smart, as pointed out the size advantage helped a lot on that. They alsoi got a LOT of calls (and FT's). I don't know, but I actually think this one seems to set up not-too-poorly for Duke. Also, as already pointed out, Stanford hasn't had a lot of tough opponents or games in the last two months. How would they respond to an early punch in the mouth (figurative) from Duke?

I think our PG is better than theirs, and we CAN go toe-to-toe with their front line, though they may have more experience and quality depth there. Duke is playing so well. If I were picking based solely on watching the Sat. night games, I think I'd favor Duke, who just dismantled the #3-seed Red Storm.

I'm really psyched for this one ladies and gentlemen. Should be a good one! Great opportunity.

Go Duke WBB!!
    Last edited by -bdbd; 03-25-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    For all of their size advantage Stanford only played SC to a draw on the boards. They also had 3 more turnovers over a less than overwhelming defense. They did shoot well, and played smart, opiut the size advantage helped a lot on that. They alsoi got a LOT of calls (and FT's). I don't know, but I actually think this one seems to set up not-too-poorly for Duke. Also, as already pointed out, Stanford hasn't had a lot of tough opponents or games in the last two months. How would they resapond to an early punch in the mouth (figurative) from Duke?

I think our PG is better than theirs, and we CAN go toe-to-toe with their front line, though they may have more experience and quality depth there. Duke is playing so well. If I were picked based solely on watching the Sat. night games, I think I'd favor Duke, who just dismantled the #3 seed Red Storm.

I'm really psyched for this one ladies and gentlemen. Should be a good one!

Go Duke WBB!!
    I think what I'd be most worried about is can Williams stay out of foul trouble? She's facing two bigs that are better than any she has faced yet...if she gets in truoble, i can't see any way we can contain the sisters.
    1200. DDMF.

I think what I'd be most worried about is can Williams stay out of foul trouble? She's facing two bigs that are better than any she has faced yet...if she gets in truoble, i can't see any way we can contain the sisters.

I agree, and that that cost us significantly vs. U-con. Though we play that match-up zone, who will be guarding (or helping to guard) the second Stanford big the most?? BTW, Sat. it was N.O., Nnemkadi Ogwumike , who was the much more scary of the two sisters, and so it is on her that I'd focus Elizabeth, at least to some extent. But who gets the other assignment the most for us, especially when we "man up?"

OUR

Yeah, but you picked St. Johns over Duke. Just kidding. Stanford has some probs of their own. Duke also has Alison Verneray. She's not known for her strength, but she's feisty and certainly has the game to shoulder some of the load down low. What will the Trees do to try and contain Duke's high-octane offense? Who will they key on? We've hit from outside, inside, and mid-range. Will those Stanford bigs be relegated to taking the ball out of bounds after made baskets?

We've got some women who have responded favorably to losing three (!) players expected to play important roles this year. Our center has a leg issue that limits her minutes. STILL, we're competing for a chance at the Final Four.

The game starts off 0-0, but I think WE are the ones more likely to get a big lead and keep it. WE are the ones who have faced more high-quality teams. OUR players have adapted to tougher circumstances.

If I were Stanford, I'd just pack up for the unhappy ride home now. Seriously, the pressure is on them, not us. Coach P has done a great job nurturing this team. Mental toughness has been a real plus. I like our chances very much.

Let the good times roll, Duke, let the good times roll!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Let's get this thread back to the top.

By the way, I see that chalk has totally prevailed in the brackets, and all four regional finals match #1 seed vs #2 seed.
    That being said, don't see any reason why Duke can't knock off this particular #1 seed.

Grrr...crazietalk has been down all day (server tanked) so Section 21 won't be up tonight. I'm assuming (and hoping) that snrub will be. Go Duke!!!

Scrum at the end of the Baylor game...wonder if this will have any implications (suspensions) for the final 4...Odyssey Sims involved...
    1200. DDMF.

Scrum at the end of the Baylor game...wonder if this will have any implications (suspensions) for the final 4...Odyssey Sims involved...
    Is there an automatic suspension for coming off the bench like in the NBA? If there is Griner will be suspended.

I'm tempted to blame it on Ivory Latta, but I just saw her on another channel at the McDonald's Slam Jamfest.

Actually, not a huge fight, but there could be some penalties for the participants.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Is there an automatic suspension for coming off the bench like in the NBA? If there is Griner will be suspended.
    I'm wondering about this too.

If so, 40-0 is over.

EDIT - apparently they are ejected but not suspended for the next game.

If a player is ejected, can she return to the court to cut down the nets?

not sure...they said no suspensions as of now...but the NCAA could have their say

I'm going to guess.. its no, since it wasn't a punch...I think the NCAA will say its not enough to warrant a suspension cough cough ratings

Quote Originally Posted by rulebook
    When anyone other than the head coach leaves the bench
    and enters the playing court but does not participate in the
    fight, only one technical foul shall be assessed regardless of
    the number of offenders. This one foul is charged indirectly
    to the head coach.
    1200. DDMF.

I just looked at the rule. There is an automatic ejection for leaving the bench. A suspension only comes into play if the player actively participates in a fight. If you just leave the bench, but don't fight, the rule states that you will not be suspended. Looks the officials got it exactly right.

on a side note:

Ewill not been effective scoring early in iso against one of the O sisters, and stanford is currently picking apart duke's zone

need to close down on shooters much faster
    1200. DDMF.

This lead needs to get down to six by half-time at least for us to have a shot at winning this game. We have not shown the ability to come back, especially against good teams (St. John's doesn't count). Our offense is really sputtering right now. Can't let it affect our defense.

We also can't get a call in the paint. Oh well.

I really hope this remains a close game. To be perfectly honest, just as a fan, I'd rather lose a tight one to stanford than get blown out by Baylor in the Final Four..