Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB v St. John's pre-game and in-game thread

Hey St. John's fan here I just wanted to come into enemy territory to tell you that you are going to win don't sweat an upset here but if you would like to grasp a little perspective from the opposition a great preview on the game can be seen here. http://www.johnnyjungle.com

This is the St. John's fan site which also features and article on 5 reason I could never root for Duke which I'm sure you'll all enjoy. Check it out kill some time at the office and good luck tomorrow not that you'll need it. I'll check back later today and maybe you all have some thoughts on the current state of St. John's basketball that you would like to share.

Thanks

Dave

Odd.

If the article is as hard to read as this post, I'll more than likely pass. Thanks though.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Jungle View Post
    Hey St. John's fan here I just wanted to come into enemy territory to tell you that you are going to win don't sweat an upset here but if you would like to grasp a little perspective from the opposition a great preview on the game can be seen here. http://www.johnnyjungle.com

This is the St. John's fan site which also features and article on 5 reason I could never root for Duke which I'm sure you'll all enjoy. Check it out kill some time at the office and good luck tomorrow not that you'll need it. I'll check back later today and maybe you all have some thoughts on the current state of St. John's basketball that you would like to share.

Thanks

Dave
    No slight to your team, but I am hoping that the final score is something like 90-60 with a Duke victory. Duke needs to regain confidence with both their offense and defense. If this is another close game, it will drive Duke Nation absolutely nuts!

Kudos, and kudos again, sir. I visited the Johnny Jungle site and read the 5 reasons I could never root for Duke column. I was expecting the usual drivel and knuckle-dragging hate-spew that we Devils normally see. However, for once, there was a somewhat humorous, half-way intelligent column about why a Johnnie doesn't like Duke. There's nothing wrong with that. We don't need everyone to like us. Heck, I don't even mind people hating us. But for once, here is an actual column that doesn't take itself seriously (while posing as a serious column). Now I don't know if that was the original goal, but I do say, "Kudos to you, sir."

Now come on down to Cameron and take your beating.

Quote Originally Posted by dukerev View Post
    Now come on down to Cameron and take your beating.
    Haha, quote of the day.

Duke needs to get back on the horse and this is the game to do it. It also helps that we won't play Georgia Tech for another 4 days after tomorrow. While I believed we've played with effort through these 2 losses, we have looked a bit worn down. Hopefully this 3-day gap between games will help the guys.

I loved the "5 reasons" column. Funny and well done! (And please let Duke win in an enormous blowout...)

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    Odd.

If the article is as hard to read as this post, I'll more than likely pass. Thanks though.
    Oops I had a typo it was 5am cut me some slack. Glad you enjoyed other Duke sites weren't as receptive. We're awful so there is no reason the score shouldn't be 30+. I'm a very realistic fan and we don't have any bullets in the gun. We don't even have the little hanky that comes out and says bang!

Do any of you follow the Big East or are we all ACC exclusive?

Got to follow all of college hoops since they don't hand the national championship trophy immediately to the winner of the ACC tournament. Besides, there have been some great games in the Big East this year, as well as across the country. For instance, I can't wait not only for the Duke/St. Johns game Sat. but also the Memphis/Tenn. Sat. night. College hoops is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Got to follow all of college hoops since they don't hand the national championship trophy immediately to the winner of the ACC tournament. Besides, there have been some great games in the Big East this year, as well as across the country. For instance, I can't wait not only for the Duke/St. Johns game Sat. but also the Memphis/Tenn. Sat. night. College hoops is the best!
    Yep, I set my DVR to record the Memphis game a few days ago. I'm busy Sat night, but I'm going to want to see that game.

Most of us on this site are not only Duke fans, but college bball fans. As a result, we follow many of the conferences (and I would guess at least the BCS ones). It's hard to ignore the Big East this year, there are a lot of good teams.

The 5 reasons is fairly entertaining and doesn't actually bash Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Jungle View Post
    Oops I had a typo it was 5am cut me some slack. Glad you enjoyed other Duke sites weren't as receptive. We're awful so there is no reason the score shouldn't be 30+. I'm a very realistic fan and we don't have any bullets in the gun. We don't even have the little hanky that comes out and says bang!

I am a self-professed college basketball junkie. I watch ESPN and ESPN2 from 7-11pm most weeknights and most Saturdays. It helps me kick my football addiction . I'm also a bit of a gambling man so staying on top of BCS conference teams is a bit of an occupation if you will, haha.

Overall, I like to follow all conferences and really get a sense of which teams I think can do some real damage in March. And I watch all conferences for the love of the sport; I can't wait for Saturday night's 1 vs. 2 tilt. Even if it was Duke's loss(es) that made it a 1 vs. 2 matchup.

Well to give you a nutshell report on St. John's current situation.

Norm Roberts takes over a program left in shambles by Jarvis. 2 years post season eligibility. He had 3 players transfer last season and only has 2 of 6 recruits retained from last season(1 player never became eligible). He is in year 4 and we're still at the bottom of the Big East. We've gotten blown out more times than not so the losses are just bad. We have many games where we shot lower than 25%. We didn't score a basket til 4 min left in the first half against georgetown. We have no recruits for next year and have lost out on every guy we've been in the race for.

On the other hand the team has the highest GPA in the school's history, we have 8 freshman who have some potential but are raw, we're more athletic than we've ever been under Norm, Norm is trying to embrace the local community and build a foundation, his summer camp registrations have tripled over the past year, is at any and every high school event, he runs a very clean program.

St. John's fans are growing tired and would like to see change is it warranted? Or does it take time to bring things back and we need to be patient? Do you think the fans are justified in booing the team and chanting to fire Norm? or is this counter productive?

I always like to hear non biased opinions which is why I go across enemy lines.

While I can't relate to Johnny Jungle when it comes to college basketball loyalties, I can certainly understand the anguish of loving a team that has its problems and shortcomings. I like the Saints and the Cubs, two of the more cursed sports franchises in history (especially the cubbies). The Duke men's basketball team is the only consistently winning team I follow. College football, I don't divide my loyalties for convenience and we know where Duke football is currently (BUT IT WILL CHANGE!!!!!!)

Anyway, I enjoyed the "5 reasons" piece, very tongue in cheek and not the typical anti Duke snark we're accustomed to. Besides, I've always respected St Johns. Mike Jarvis and K always seemed to have a good relationship when he was there and the only person who could rock a sweater like Bill Cosby was Lou Carnesecca

Well to give you a nutshell report on St. John's current situation.

Norm Roberts takes over a program left in shambles by Jarvis. 2 years post season eligibility. He had 3 players transfer last season and only has 2 of 6 recruits retained from last season(1 player never became eligible). He is in year 4 and we're still at the bottom of the Big East. We've gotten blown out more times than not so the losses are just bad. We have many games where we shot lower than 25%. We didn't score a basket til 4 min left in the first half against georgetown. We have no recruits for next year and have lost out on every guy we've been in the race for.

On the other hand the team has the highest GPA in the school's history, we have 8 freshman who have some potential but are raw, we're more athletic than we've ever been under Norm, Norm is trying to embrace the local community and build a foundation, his summer camp registrations have tripled over the past year, is at any and every high school event, he runs a very clean program.

St. John's fans are growing tired and would like to see change is it warranted? Or does it take time to bring things back and we need to be patient? Do you think the fans are justified in booing the team and chanting to fire Norm? or is this counter productive?

I always like to hear non biased opinions which is why I go across enemy lines.
    Honestly, you should ask some NC State fans since their program has endured a similar decline. You may not get a very thought provoking or forthright reply, in fact they would probably be pretty rude, so on second thought, don't ask them.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, adjustments the Staff makes for this game after two losses. I wouldn't be suprised to see the starting line-up shaken up. Maybe Brian Zoubek will get the start.
    Bob Green

16. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It will be interesting to see what, if any, adjustments the Staff makes for this game after two losses. I wouldn't be suprised to see the starting line-up shaken up. Maybe Brian Zoubek will get the start.
    Henderson seems a little reserved on the court, I am sure because he is protecting his wrist to some degree. If he can't bring his game 100% as he has done all year, I think perhaps other players should get more minutes. Maybe Nolan and Taylor.

I doubt there will be any major shakeups. I think the coaches and the players realize that they have a very good team with good chemistry, and they just need to get back to playing well. I especially expect Coach K to have a broad view of the season, and that these kinds of ups and downs happen. I expect no significant changes, just an extremely intense team tomorrow. Incidentally, Duke -22 is probably one of the better bets of the college bball season, just because of the situation. I expect the team to come close to covering that twice over. No offense to the Johnnies; it's just a bad spot to be in.

I try to keep up with at least the top 25, or pretty much any game I'm around to watch. Also have my dvr set for the Memphis/UT game, and the Duke game, since I'm going to be in attendace, now.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Honestly, you should ask some NC State fans since their program has endured a similar decline. You may not get a very thought provoking or forthright reply, in fact they would probably be pretty rude, so on second thought, don't ask them.
    Yeah, that was a pretty long article with some big words in it, you might be asking too much from the wolfies.

Today, Duke re-establishes its attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I am looking for Duke to re-establish its attitude today. Outside of the earned victory, all we need to hope for is: emotion, fire, desire, total effort, attitude, our house, confidence....you know, the common denominator that is Duke basketball.

That's all I want to see, even if this game goes down to a close one.

I'd rather lose a basketball game employing all those factors I listed (which means the Storm has to play like an NBA team all game) than win and play with the attitude and effort that we've had for the majority of the last two games.

I mean that. Like many on this board, I love Duke and I do rise and fall with the team during the season.

dukestheheat, and don't you forget it.