Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seed chit-chat

I think we lose at UNC and lose somewhere in the ACC tournament. So with 9 losses, I can't see us as a 3 seed. Due to our SOS and RPI, and a strong last 1/3 of the season, I can see us as a 4 or a 5. Has anyone done any historical research -- has a team with 9 losses ever been a 3 seed?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Has a team with 9 losses ever been a 3 seed?
    I was surprised to find so easily that in 2001 (good tournament that year, as I recall ), Maryland was a 3 seed with 10 losses, and the 4 seed in their region was Indiana, who came in with 12:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0881083.html

So yes, there is at least one bit of precedent there, and I'm sure there's more out there. This is just the first thing Google brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    how about 2005?
    Perfect example.

Bracket and Game Sites

In my view, the seedings for Duke and the other ACC teams is not as important as the bracket and location where the games are played. Sure, the seedings are intended to reflect the relative strengths of the teams but the Selection Committee often moves teams around and raises/lowers their seeding to meet a myriad of their rules.

Give me a relatively good bracket and sites near home and we can take our chances.

gw67

i'm assuming a split this week and 2 wins in the acc tournament. that would mean 2 more losses and 2 more wins against tournament teams (plus another win against an nit team). if you don't think that that resume earns a 3 seed, then provide 12 teams and i will find at least 1 that will have a worse resume. i also agree with other people that, while fun to speculate on, at the end of the day the actual seed means very little. this year, more than any i can remember, the teams seem so even. can anyone remember another year where the projected 1 seeds suffered 4 losses the second to last week of the season? also, being close to home is nice for the fans and easy for the players but we don't have the greatest track record close to home (eg, 2005), the 2 closest venues will be decidedly anti duke (ws and lexington) and we won at least 1 of the national championships from far away (was it 1991?) the bottom line is that you are going to be playing good teams starting in round 1 and are going to have to beat good teams if you want to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    this year, more than any i can remember, the teams seem so even. can anyone remember another year where the projected 1 seeds suffered 4 losses the second to last week of the season?

Eh, last year it felt like there was no clear-cut national champion when the tournament started (unless you were a UConn fan, and we all know how that turned out). The field is just as wide open this year, really anything can happen. LOTS of peoples' brackets got busted last year by teams like LSU, George Mason, Wichita St. and there is definitely the potential for that again this year.

last year, duke steamrolled into the tournament and was a clear #1 seed. uconn, despite the blip to syracuse, also steamrolled in. they had won 16 of their last 18 with the only losses at an outstanding villanova team by 5 and syracuse in the be tournament. even memphis had won 22 of 23 heading into the tournament with the only loss at a tough uab team by 6.

this year, i don't even think that there is going to be agreement on who the 4 1s are because all of them have sizeable warts. the florida loss to last place lsu without their best player was horrible. ohio got blown out by florida, unc and wisc (i know oden wasn't there for 2 of them and they were on the road but still). unc lost to a bad nc st team, va tech twice and maryland. wisc now has lost 2 in a row and now everyone knows they can't score. ucla is the one team who seems to have done the least bad things and they still lost at wvu (without their pg). with all these slip ups, kansas, with its early season terrible losses, has now crept into the 1 seed picture.

last year, where 3 of the 1s were flying into the tournment, is nothing close to this year where all of the teams in contention for a 1 seed have been slipping up.

I'd like to see us as a 2, 3 or 6. Anything that keeps us on the other side of the bracket from the 1 seed. The bracket predictions that have us as a 6 seed or 3 seed have us playing in some very favorable regions that could help us make a great run in the tourney. One thing that's great though is that we're playing much better, and should we continue this kind of play, we should be a 2 or 3 seed come tourney time.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I'd like to see us as a 2, 3 or 6. Anything that keeps us on the other side of the bracket from the 1 seed.
    I agree with what gw said above. It just depends on matchups. I would take a 4/5 seed with Wisconsin/OSU/Pittsburgh/Georgetown as the 1 seed over being a 3 seed with UCLA/Florida as the 2 seed, for example. For that reason, I'm not going to fret too much about seeding.

Where does everyone think we will play our first and second rounds? I'm curious because I tried to guess ahead of time and have decided to convienantly go visit my uncle in Columbus, Ohio on March 15-19. He can get me pretty good seats inside Nationwide Arena.

Pods!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carter431 View Post
    Where does everyone think we will play our first and second rounds? I'm curious because I tried to guess ahead of time and have decided to convienantly go visit my uncle in Columbus, Ohio on March 15-19. He can get me pretty good seats inside Nationwide Arena.
    If we are a Top 4 seed, Winston-Salem is our most likely location, regardless of which region we are in due to the POD system (if I'm correct that this still exists.) At this point not knowing our seeding it is simply far to soon to hazard a guess, but once again, if we are a Top 4 seed then that seems the most likely place to me.

OTOH, if we were a 4 but UNC and Virginia Tech were nevertheless seeded higher than us, they might be in Winston-Salem and us elsewhere.

As 1st weekend locations go, I would rather be in Columbus or Buffalo than Lexington. Could be wrong but they don't seem to like us too well, round those parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I agree with what gw said above. It just depends on matchups. I would take a 4/5 seed with Wisconsin/OSU/Pittsburgh/Georgetown as the 1 seed over being a 3 seed with UCLA/Florida as the 2 seed, for example. For that reason, I'm not going to fret too much about seeding.
    I don't think that there is any chance that UCLA is a 2 seed. They've got the best record, the best RPI, and one of their 3 losses was on in road without their PG (and will be viewed in that light by the comm.) The team isn't the same without Collison.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    UCLA is a mortal lock at this point for #1 in the west, or whatever they call it now. What will be interesting is which of the 5 top teams gets left with a #2. I had thought it would be the Big 10 runner-up, but with those teams splitting games, and the OSU win being so close yesterday, if they meet in the Big 10 tourney and it's close again, they both would probably get #1 seeds unless UNC runs the table.
    I think Wiscy is questionable for a 1 after the injury to Butch.