Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Wow. Digging slightly further, we had a streak of 24 consecutive conference road wins between the loss at UNC in '98 and the loss at UVA in '01. Not likely to match that any time soon, I suspect.
    PFR! Haven't seen you around here lately! Hope all is well.

I was impressed with our suffocating free throw defense tonight. 55% for FSU.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    when the wide recievers are pushed out of bounds by the safeties on a punt, they are still allowed to come back on the field of play and touch the ball without penalty.

Are you talking about a different sport?
    If you're not kidding me I'm talking about when Ryan was inbounding towards the end of 2nd half under basket and the fsu defender ran outside the line and between Ryan and Tyler before/just as the ball was inbounded. Seriously. I've never seen it before.

when the wide recievers are pushed out of bounds by the safeties on a punt, they are still allowed to come back on the field of play and touch the ball without penalty.

Are you talking about a different sport?
    No, she had the correct sport-f$u football.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDevil View Post
    Looked like the ankle to me. Once the adrenaline wears off, he's going to be a sore, sore dude. He'll miss a practice or two.
    Wow, I hope not because we play again on Saturday. There aren't going to be two practices.

FSU allows something like 24% from three on the season. Makes our shooting seem even more impressive

I don't think the reffing was that obviously bad. After seeing all the complaints in this thread (you'd think we lost rather than won), I checked the stats. We were called for 23 fouls to 20 for FSU (including some intentionals at the end); we shot 26 FTs to their 22; each team had a player foul out. I'm not saying you can tell everything from stats, but FSU fans probably had as much to terp about as we did.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

I did notice K did not leave the floor until the clock was at 0:00.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    If you're not kidding me . . . .
    Weezie, you know me better than that! ;>)

Dickie V on Mute

I had to mute him to enjoy the game. Valentine, Hess and Dickie V all need to go!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I did notice K did not leave the floor until the clock was at 0:00.
    Maybe it had something to do with the fact that we didn't lose by thirty points.

(heh)

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that we didn't lose by thirty points.

(heh)
    What? f$u beat someone by 30 (actually 33) points this year?

Great game for Dawkins and Miles. Also Rivers gets the Singler award for getting beat up but still coming up big.

With all the sniping about the officiating it feels like I'm reading IC. A couple of missed calls that no one has mentioned was the blatant travel/carry by Seth before he dished to Dre for an early three and what was an obvious 4th? foul on Mason against James when Hamilton threw up his hands. This was not a 20-point win except for the officiating but a strong game nonetheless for the good guys.

Here's a stat that does jump out: they had 16 offensive rebounds.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I had to mute him to enjoy the game. Valentine, Hess and Dickie V all need to go!
    Actually, it's getting better when Vitale is on. We spend a lot of time trying to figure out what the call was and who it was on, kind of a do-it-yourself commentary. Since we never get the info from the tv guys, it makes for a more engaging television experience.

Refs?

You know it's funny b/c the first foul of the night against FSU was called by Teddy "I think I am, but I'm NOT a Superstar" Valentine and I really thought things might go our way. When he was later making tremendously bad calls (i.e. the late in the game, and I believe fifth foul, block against Miles) I have to admit that I was not suprised. The guy is after all a complete idiot, but what really ticked me off was the other balding older ref who seemed to be the one who called us for everything under the sun in the first half. I'm not sure what his name is, but at one point I was day dreaming that if I saw him walking through the Atlanta airport that I would berate him like no other. Alas I'm slipping into my fantasy world where unc loses out the season.

I am REALLY proud of our team's performance tonight and with the exception of a few sloppy TO's I think we played a complete game both offensively and defensively. Obviously Andre was ridiculous and Austin continues to evolve into almost a sure lottery pick. I noticed they said there were 19 scouts watching the game which makes me wonder if that will work in favor of Mason deciding to come back for another year b/c he really was ineffective much of the game. Granted he got in early foul trouble (with some suspect calls), but I was not too terribly impressed with his D or rebounding. I may come back and change this statement after I re-watch the game tomorrow and check the box score, but I doubt it.

At any rate Go Duke and GTHC, just GTH!!

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I don't think the reffing was that obviously bad. After seeing all the complaints in this thread (you'd think we lost rather than won), I checked the stats. We were called for 23 fouls to 20 for FSU (including some intentionals at the end); we shot 26 FTs to their 22; each team had a player foul out. I'm not saying you can tell everything from stats, but FSU fans probably had as much to terp about as we did.
    Seven of of our FT attempts were fouls on 3 pt shots (Kelly actually had a four point play). And they had three or four late intentional fouls, so taking those out the numbers are a little more skewed. I did forget to mention and I now see someone else did the no call on Seth's walk where he fed Andre. That was definitely a screw up by the refs in our favor. But another issue I had was with the late no-goal tending call against James when I believe it was Austin's shot was clearing coming down.

Smile Kudos for the D, the Dre, and the Devils!!

This was a vintage Duke game in terms of defense. The defensive effort was consistent and effective throughout the game. While FSU is not an offensive juggernaut, Snaer, Dulkys and Gibson can put up the points, and they didn't.

Dre provided the big first half lead; Austin, Seth and Ryan took up the slack in the half. (You know, there is a little bit of Jon Scheyer savvy in Ryan Kelly.)

Miles didn't put up dominant numbers, but he was very strong inside on both O and D.

On loose balls, FSU did really well if the 'Noles could bat the ball in the air; Duke got most of the balls that went to the floor.

Great effort, great win, now let's turn this into a streak!

sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 02-23-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Redundancy. I said some things twice. Oh, is that redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    This is not a very compelling argument. With about 10 min left, our 3 best bigs had 4 fouls. Theirs had no more than 2. The foul discrepancy was nearly +10 for FSU early in the 2nd half. I can't see how a team so physical gets so many offensive boards without fouling. And you can't discount intentional fouls at the end of a game. FSU had 4-5 of those. Take those out and that's 8-10 fewer fts and a much larger discrepancy in fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Also Rivers gets the Singler award for getting beat up but still coming up big.
    This is a great point. Rivers is a pretty tough cookie, and in that regard, he does remind me of Singler.

Let's go Mason

Huge win tonight. Great to see Duke play so well in Tallahassee.

I really hope we see Mason turn it around on Saturday. I suspect K will really focus on getting Mason plenty of touches in the post against VA Tech to try and get him going.