Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric Bledsoe

Quote Originally Posted by rkm View Post
    Quick opinion about the Plumlee/Kelly not real down-low big men. Watching the McDonald's game right now, and while Kelly looks lost amongst the top-level talent, Plumlee looks like an absolute athlete. Even when he isn't making the play he is trailing and jumping for a potential put-back every time. I think he can shore up a good deal of the down-low issues. Maybe not all the way next year, but by his second year I'm expecting a lot from him.
    I know I could definatley see him starting at the 5 next year i think this guys a stud, hes almost as tall as Z and is just as athletic as any big guy.

Offense issues

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Is anyone convinced that getting Wall will solve our problems? Sure, we'll be more up tempo, but we still will not have a post presence until Hairston arrives in two years. Kelly and PLumlee look like a replica of Singler, and we desperately need a big man that can dominate down low. Even IF Hendo and Wall are in Duke uniforms next year, I can't imagine this being a final four team because Lance and Zoubs, while I love them to death, don't pose a problem for anyone down low.
    I think that adding a great penetrator and disher as JW is will solve our 'donut' issue after all college ball has always been more based on great guard play.

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    You proved my point to a degree. Yes we have Singler who produces better numbers than Cunningham but Singler played much of the game at the 4 spot, occasionally at the 3, and is a much more perimeter oriented player than Cunningham. Cunningham will post up a bit and provide some back to basket presence whereas Singler did not.

The main issue is that we had either Lance or Zoubs, even McClure as you pointed out playing the 5 or even two of them playing at the same time. It proves we needed that additional big to score and give us some post presence and balance. I am by no means saying Cunningham is this great player but saying that he is the productive type of player who if we had to compliment a Singler in the frontcourt, would have made a signficant difference.
    I would say that maybe the problem is less about not having a big that can score and is more we don't have a point who can get our bigs the ball in good scoring position. Have you noticed that when either Thomas or Zoubek have good games it is usually because one (or more) of our perimeter guys is attacking the rim and they either receive good passes for lay ups or easy put backs to missed layups. Good pg's get the ball to players in scoring position. Duke has some solid passers but generally speaking our best players are also our perimeter scorers who are looking shoot more than pass. Thomas and Zoubek simply don't receive the ball in position to score very often.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I would say that maybe the problem is less about not having a big that can score and is more we don't have a point who can get our bigs the ball in good scoring position. Have you noticed that when either Thomas or Zoubek have good games it is usually because one (or more) of our perimeter guys is attacking the rim and they either receive good passes for lay ups or easy put backs to missed layups. Good pg's get the ball to players in scoring position. Duke has some solid passers but generally speaking our best players are also our perimeter scorers who are looking shoot more than pass. Thomas and Zoubek simply don't receive the ball in position to score very often.
    excellent point (no pun). I think this pretty well sums up the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I think I can sum up both of our points so we are in agreement as follows:

1. We can use a PG with the ability to dribble/drive to the the rim to either finish or dish off to a big. A player like Bledsoe would be a welcomed addition though he wouldn't likely start from day one as a Wall would.

2. We can also use a frontcourt player with a post presence who does not need to rely on a guard driving to the basket to get him the ball. Currently, we don't truly have that type of player who would demand the ball in the post. Singler is more of a 3, while Zoubs has not shown he can be a consistent post player for 15-20 minutes a game. It would appear that Mason Plumlee may be our best shot at this going forward.

Hopefully Bledsoe can get the required scores to enroll at Duke and then committ to provide us that one option we do need.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    I am of the opinion that we should at least consider taking both of them if we can get Wall.
    That's what I thought, but since Curry is transferring in that is no longer an option. We only have one more to give unless G leaves.
    The Gordog

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

ACT

I believe Bledsoe is taking the ACT today. Anyone know how long it will be before his score is known? Hopefully he studied hard and does well on the test...

Well

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    That's what I thought, but since Curry is transferring in that is no longer an option. We only have one more to give unless G leaves.
    If G leaves, then, I think we should take both (if we have that option). I just don't want to miss on a guy that looks like a true, quick PG while waiting for Wall to decide.

I'd love to get Wall, but if we don't, I hope we get something to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I believe Bledsoe is taking the ACT today. Anyone know how long it will be before his score is known? Hopefully he studied hard and does well on the test...
    Your scores are reported 2.5 weeks after you take the test, so around the 22nd of April in this case. One can either view their score online or through the mail. The ACT website says that mailed scores take 3-8 weeks after the test date. Furthermore, if he takes the writing, his scores become available only after the writing scores are released, so an extra 2 weeks. Basically, if he took the writing, which I'm not sure if he did, he'll find out 5-8 weeks after the test date. So, we'll know about Wall well before we know about Bledsoe's test scores if Wall's deadline loosely holds up. This helps Duke eliminate the possibility of offering both of them scholarships I suppose.

Here's the chart that shows when scores are available (http://www.actstudent.org/scores/early/index.html) Could be as soon as April 15th... or it could be two months.

A longer wait might not necessarily be a bad thing. If he gets them back on the 15th and he qualifies (knock on wood), it's puts us in an awkward spot given neither Wall or G will likely have made a decision yet.

I agree with the poster that said we should offer them both if G leaves though. They both look very good, and 2 PGs and 3 wing guards wouldn't exactly be a logjam, especially since we'd probably be playing at a fast pace.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Here's the chart that shows when scores are available (http://www.actstudent.org/scores/early/index.html) Could be as soon as April 15th... or it could be two months.

A longer wait might not necessarily be a bad thing. If he gets them back on the 15th and he qualifies (knock on wood), it's puts us in an awkward spot given neither Wall or G will likely have made a decision yet.

I agree with the poster that said we should offer them both if G leaves though. They both look very good, and 2 PGs and 3 wing guards wouldn't exactly be a logjam, especially since we'd probably be playing at a fast pace.
    Thanks to you and Icarus09 for the info. I too, agree that we should try to get both Wall and Bledsoe if possible. That would greatly help the backcourt situation...

Is the only thing holding this kid up from going to Duke is his ACT score???

I watched some youtube video on him and he is a real good passer. He can shoot the long ball but it didn't look like he even looked to shot, he was a pass first PG. He reminded me of Lawson in a way. He is not a bad second option.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueinBlo View Post

I watched some youtube video on him and he is a real good passer. He can shoot the long ball but it didn't look like he even looked to shot, he was a pass first PG. He reminded me of Lawson in a way. He is not a bad second option.
    I think hes fairly underrated. Just because he isn't the #1 PG doesn't mean we wouldn't like to have the kid. I looked it up and a few years ago the #8 PG(which is where Scout.com ranked Bledsoe) in his class was Wake's Jeff Teague. I'm sure we wouldn't be against a player of his quality dawning a Duke jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueinBlo View Post

The ACT scores seems to be the primary hindrance, yes. Didn't he say Duke would be his "dream school?" I think we said on this thread he has to raise his ACT score to a 17 from a 15.
    I agree with geraldsneighbor, we shouldn't really pay attention to the online recruiting rankings with this one. If Coach K is recruiting him when he knows we need a PG, I'm sure he'll be pretty good.

I would love to see Bledsoe in a Duke uniform (regardless of you else we get or don't get). He looks like an excellent player (a driver/disher with nice scoring ability) and a needed piece of the puzzle to make us a more complete team.

Thanks to you and Icarus09 for the info. I too, agree that we should try to get both Wall and Bledsoe if possible. That would greatly help the backcourt situation...
    I would like this too, but wouldn't getting both of them, even with a G departure, put us in a scholarship bind? If G leaves, next year we would be okay with 13. But, assuming no one transfers and singler doesn't leave in 2010, we would only be able to take Dawkins, Hairston, and Thorton. Only if both wall and singler left (which would be a huge leap to assume they would both stay after next year I know) would we be able to honor Barnes' or Knight's offers. I guess a lot of things would go wrong, but basically, we would have trouble offering another 2010 player (like a center/PF hopefully) should Bledsoe and Wall come.
    This is all conjecture and very hypothetical. I mean, I would love to have both Wall and Bledsoe. I'm just wondering if K is willing to do this. I do think the coaching staff got a break with Bledsoe's ACT score problems. It gives us time to see if G is going to leave and what Wall wants to do while not putting us in a bad situation since Bledsoe knows we can't offer unless he improves the scores. If Wall decides he wants to come here and Bledsoe is still interested in coming after his scores improve, that would be a lot better of a situation than a situation where we have to simultaneously guess what G is going to do, what Wall is going to do, and Bledsoe (if he hypothetically had the right scores now).

Admissions

https://www.admissions.duke.edu/jump...y_testing.html

The Duke website says that applicants have to take the writing portion of the ACT, so it's going to be longer than if he just took the multiple choice.

Neither Wall or Knight appear to be true PGs. Even if this kid is a back up it would be nice to have him on the squad. He seems to be a true distributor.

Are we assuming that if Bledsoe gets the scores then we will get him? Is he not strongly considering any other schools at this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukebasketball32 View Post
    Are we assuming that if Bledsoe gets the scores then we will get him? Is he not strongly considering any other schools at this time?
    I'd might be an assumption, but said Duke was his dream school. So, the assumption has some merit.