Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rumor that Duke wanted G gone

deleted original post
    Last edited by IceyTundra; 04-04-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Thumbs down

"primadonna" --I think not. The first time I met her, we had wandered into her practice--watched for awhile expecting to be asked to leave--on the contrary, she came over to us (two gray haired ex coaches), explained drills and sat and talked to us--one of the most friendly college coaches I have ever met, and I have talked to more than a few.

foul.

Theres little point in speaking ill of the dead... (so to speak)

Whats done is done. Gail moved on and so must we.
    Name calling and mudslinging make all parties look bad regardless of the "why" this came to pass

In my opinion we blew it. So what if womens B-ball loses money. I think only a handfull of programs around the country MAKE money. Its a loss leader. It chief benefit is to give us Duke fans a warm fuzzy.

After this year ANY warm fuzzy would be welcome right about now.
    Lacrosse
    1st round bow out
    McRoberts
    Fla winning
    Us finishing 3rd for PP (speculation, but what else can go wrong)
    now Gail leaving...

Does anyone HAVE any good news to share... any at all?
    I'd love to hear it..

unfounded rumors welcome too as long as they are positive

Good news....

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I'd love to hear it..
    Football starts soon!

Good News???

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Football starts soon!
    If we are talking DUKE FOOTBALL I don't know if that is exactly good news.

Coach G

I will corroborate the accounts of Coach G being personable, accomodating, and generally an excellent part of the Duke community. In the spring of '01, I was writing sports for the Chronicle, and I received an assignment for a lengthy feature on Rochelle Parent, a senior reserve at the time. Of course, part of that assignment entailed speaking to Coach G about Rochelle. She met me in the atrium of the Schwartz-Butters building, accompanied me up the elevator, and took me into her office, where she was nothing but helpful, personable, and encouraging to a somewhat wide-eyed freshman. I also covered a few women's games, and she always carried herself likewise on game day. I never saw anything to make me wish she wasn't part of our university, and I lament her departure today.
    Last edited by wilson; 04-04-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo

hell yeah

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    If we are talking DUKE FOOTBALL I don't know if that is exactly good news.
    Of course it is. We can only improve. We've got some young athletic quarterbacks and receivers, a new O-coordinator. Come on be positive!

Ok, Ok

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Of course it is. We can only improve. We've got some young athletic quarterbacks and receivers, a new O-coordinator. Come on be positive!
    Sorry to be pessamist.......I will be positive (at least until we lose the first 2 or 3 games) then it is hard not to say "here we go again."

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post

I'd love to hear it..
    Jasmine Thomas (if she sticks with her commitment, as expected) is an absolute stud, and will have no problem stepping into Lindsey Harding's spot (though hopefully with some PG help from Mitch and E. Waner).

Chante Black will be healthy.

A healthy Chante Black, healthy Carrem Gay, and frosh Krystal Thomas will give Duke freakishly athletic and skilled post players.

Abby Waner, Wanisha Smith, Bridgette Mitchell, and Joy Cheek will be back and even better next year. Karima Christmas sounds like she'll help as well. The cupboard is still very full, for next year at least, assuming the signees stick with Duke.

Something tells me that if anyone in this scenario was a primadonna, it was Joe Alleva.

AD oversight

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Something tells me that if anyone in this scenario was a primadonna, it was Joe Alleva.
    I don't really know how AD hiring & firing works, especially at a place that fancies itself an "academics first, athletics second" institution as does Duke. I have three questions:
    1. Is some sort of inquiry/push toward possibly firing Alleva solely the domain of the prez, and if so, how responsive is Brodhead likely to be to the growing voices against Alleva?
    2. When all is said and done, does anyone have a guesstimate as to the actual chances of Alleva being fired?
    3. When is all of this likely to be addressed/resolved?

Anyone with any insight, your comments are appreciated.

Duke football is something to look forward to. I guarantee we will be at least as good as last season.

Now come on, how many sports team can you make a guarantee like that for?

Why Does Duke Need a Fresh Start ?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    In 1959 Harold Bradley left Duke to go to Texas as men's coach. He had been at Duke for about 10 years - coming after Gerry Gerard died. Seems we did OK in that replacement - we got Vic Bubas!

Before we do a Chicken Lickin, let's see who we get as a the new coack. All things work out as they should.

I loved Gail and am a Woman's game fan. Maybe both Gail & Duke need a fresh start. These things happen in life. I wish her the best and much success. I wish more of that for us.

I liked exactly where we were. I don't think that Duke needs a fresh start at all. Alleva blew it...PERIOD

I also have had a random contact with G. My wife and I provided a small courtesy to G once after a game, and she could not have been nicer, giving over the top effusive thanks and allowing herself to be drawn into a fairly detailed discussion of the game, treating our probably idiotic observations as worthy of consideration, etc.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-07-2007 at 07:19 PM.

prez yes

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I don't really know how AD hiring & firing works, especially at a place that fancies itself an "academics first, athletics second" institution as does Duke. I have three questions:
    1. Is some sort of inquiry/push toward possibly firing Alleva solely the domain of the prez, and if so, how responsive is Brodhead likely to be to the growing voices against Alleva?
    2. When all is said and done, does anyone have a guesstimate as to the actual chances of Alleva being fired?
    3. When is all of this likely to be addressed/resolved?

Anyone with any insight, your comments are appreciated.

1. It is solely the domain of the prez, formally. The prez is constantly talking to a lot of different people, though, any of whom may influence his views. Trustees hire and fire presidents, so their views carry more weight.

2. My guesstimate is that it is not going to happen, unless Coach K takes away JA's protective umbrella. After all, there was the drunken boat crash at the worst possible moment, and the administration just circled the wagons. Women's basketball is minor in comparison.

3. Appointments like athletic director come and go on the opinion of the prez. It could be done in a day, or never. There is no schedule, and if anything happens (ever) it will be done in private with some sort of smooth PR, just like we see now with coach G who "just wanted a new challenge". Don't hold your breath waiting for a new AD. Right now the Duke admnistration wants some good news, just like we all do, and does not want any more controversy. They certainly do not want to annoy coach K.

initial post

Thank you Highlander - please do not credit this to the AD at all. This is not an effort to do spin control. I was merely reporting information I heard from a good source. And I had heard this well before there was talk of her leaving. I thought G was a great coach too and she appeared to be a great person from all i saw, especially the rapport she had with her players. But there is much more that goes on behind the scenes that casual or even die-hard fans dont know about. Of course she was nice and personable to every fan she came across - it's the other things we dont know about.
    Now, lets go find another great coach to keep Duke basketball on top.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyTundra View Post
    Thank you Highlander - please do not credit this to the AD at all. This is not an effort to do spin control. I was merely reporting information I heard from a good source. And I had heard this well before there was talk of her leaving. I thought G was a great coach too and she appeared to be a great person from all i saw, especially the rapport she had with her players. But there is much more that goes on behind the scenes that casual or even die-hard fans dont know about. Of course she was nice and personable to every fan she came across - it's the other things we dont know about.
    Now, lets go find another great coach to keep Duke basketball on top.
    So, what you're saying is that the athletic department is now actively spreading unsubstantiated rumors critical of Coach G?

Yeah, I'm still not convinced.

Other factors?

I haven't seen this discussed here, and I don't mean to probe into her personal life, but do I recall that she has/had a spouse who is/was affiliated with Duke? Could this have been a factor?

People can be effusively nice and also be demanding. For example, she could be a great coach, brilliant recruiter, and nice person who insisted on charter flights and a dedicated practice facility, both of which she will presumably get at Texas and won't get at Duke.

This seems more reasonable than saying that she wanted a "new challenge." I'm not even sure what that means. It's not like she is quitting coaching to take up professional golf or to go to law school. Her challenge in Austin would be the same as her challenge at Duke, from what I could tell.

It seems silly to completely discount money. She will likely get a raise, perhaps a substantial one, but money also pays for the charter flights and practice court.

More likely, she was looking forward to being part of a women's athletic department and away from the shadow of K and the clumsy thumbprints of Alleva.

Nice Based on What?

She is nice to random fans? Really? I bet she is the only coach in the world who is nice to random fans. Bob Knight is rumored to be an absolute charmer to people outside the athletic department. When he was fired, many member of the administrative dept at IU got death threats, he was so beloved.

Just because she was nice to random people doesn't mean she was not a primadonna. I think we have all heard the story of the shabbily dressed couple whose donations were rebuffed by Yale, only for that same couple to turn around and use a 9 figure donation to start Stanford. If I am a coach, I do not take chances by being mean to someone. You never know who knows the family of a star recruit, has tons of cash to donate, or who has serious pull somewhere.

I personally ran into Coach K a couple of times during my undergrad years, and each time he acted like a favorite Uncle who was thrilled to see me, and we know K is somewhat of a primadonna (completely earned, heck, expected, dominant program, multiple NCs, face of the school, etc) when dealing with other coaches, the media, and the admin building. K was nice because it cost nothing, and it might be worth something someday. I, or any Duke student, or random fan, could turn out fabuously wealthy, be related to a star recruit, etc. If none of that happens, K has lost nothing by being nice to a star-struck yokel (me).

I do not know G personally. But do not dismiss her claims. When night was fired, there were legions of former players and assistant coaches who sprang to his defense and decried the admins actions. Where are G's supporters, other than this board. I have seen no former coaches or players urging Duke to retain G at any cost.

Maybe she was a prima donna. Maybe not. But she in absolutely no way deserved to act like one, even in private. That is reserved for living legends and winners of NCs (more than one. We all find Sylvia Hatchel annoying and she won hers as a result of what I believe was the luckiest shot in FF history, a step-back, fade-away three as time expired shot by a mediocre post player). Reportedly she wanted to be paid like Geno (5 NCs) and Summit (7 NCs). That is delusional. Completely delusional. 2/3 as much as Geno (maybe), but not comensurate. This type of demand strikes me as primadonnaish.

I have no love for Alleva, but let us not roast him alive here for this, when there are other, legitimate reasons to roast him (being K's puppet). It is not like he fired her. She was offered a great salary, reportedly one of th 5 top paid coaches in the country, without winning a single NC (and being involved in some truly horrific NCAA flameouts/collapses). This year, record aside, she won the regular season ACC title, a banner we hardly bother to put up in Cameron. She lost clutch games in the post season, namely the ACC tourney, and flamed out vs a team she had beaten by 40, at their place, earlier in the year. This is not the QV of someone you break the bank for, sorry. He offered a more than fair contract, and she left anyway. If she had ever won the NC (any OTHER skeptics on the board?) beleive that she would have been paid, big time, by the end of the week.

Next play people.

Patrick Yates

ps If we do not hire a quality coach (namely Cali's) something sinister is going on at Duke. I will post my theory on that, when/if it occurs, and then accept the inevitable banning that will follow.