Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The most important thing about our perceived lack of athleticism is how it can only be a positive for Duke. If, for example, the guy guarding Jon Scheyer thinks he's better than Jon, he becomes frustrated when Mr. Scheyer contorts in five different directions, shows six "Scheyer-faces" and hits a lay-up and draws a foul for a three point play.

Duke fans are used to Jon doing this kind of thing on a regular basis. I call it athleticism. If the opposition wants to think they got punked by the tall dorky guy who built a gun rack in high school shop class, what's not to love?
    I don't know about the gun rack, but the rest of this is spot on. If your opponent thinks you're worse than you are, you have a lot more opportunities to succeed. It's not just frustration -- if the player guarding Jon thinks Jon can't drive so he plays right in his face to try to get a steal, he actually gives Jon the opportunity to blow by him that Jon might otherwise not have had. If the guy guarding Z doesn't think he can jump, he might not box him out as hard as he can and Z can grab a rebound he might otherwise not have been able to reach.

Put another way, it's a lot easier to play well when your opponent doesn't think you're any good.

My big issue

The big issue for me is that he talks about UConn not being a finished product, and alludes to the fact that we probably will not have the ability to beat a team like that come March. What about us? Are we not a finished product? We still do not have Mason back! It will take time to work out chemistry and the rotation once he does return. We will continue to improve as well! He makes it sound like this is as good as this team could possibly get and that is what bothers me!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I have a question - why do people care so much that we be athletic?
    I think most people really don't care. It's just easy fodder for lazy journalists and talking heads to go on and on and on and on and on and on about trying to fill time and column inches.

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    The big issue for me is that he talks about UConn not being a finished product, and alludes to the fact that we probably will not have the ability to beat a team like that come March. What about us? Are we not a finished product? We still do not have Mason back! It will take time to work out chemistry and the rotation once he does return. We will continue to improve as well! He makes it sound like this is as good as this team could possibly get and that is what bothers me!
    He says nothing of the sort. Not only did Winn mention the fact that Duke will be getting Mason Plumlee back, which will hellp, this is what he wrote about March: "So as dominating as Friday's performance was, the question still lingers: Will the Blue Devils be able to dismantle a team like UConn as well in March as they just did in November?"

At no point did say anything close to "we probably will not have the ability to beat a team like that come March."

Duke is alarmingly unathletic. It is a fact. Fortunately, it takes more than athleticism to win basketball games. Connecticut shot just 53 percent from the line and turned the ball over 16 times. Coach K scouted Connecticut well - it doesn’t have a reliable shooter other than Jerome Dyson, and as a team, went 0-for-4 from deep. Nonetheless a great win for you fellows...seems as though yall are a step ahead of us this year. However I do think that yalls lack of athletic ability could pose some problems. But like yall have said its a game of more than athletic ability. Maybe that lack has been some of what has held yall back the past few years, which comes back to recruiting. McRoberts, ...Paulus...Shavlik Randolph...zoubek...Daniel Ewing. Harrison Barnes was a huge loss cause yall had been recruiting him hard for the longest, and Roy just got in on him late and still landed him...an article I read said something I agree with... Right now, the Tar Heels are the toast of college basketball while the Blue Devils are carry the stigma of good, but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Blue View Post
    Duke is alarmingly unathletic. It is a fact. Fortunately, it takes more than athleticism to win basketball games. Connecticut shot just 53 percent from the line and turned the ball over 16 times. Coach K scouted Connecticut well - it doesn’t have a reliable shooter other than Jerome Dyson, and as a team, went 0-for-4 from deep. Nonetheless a great win for you fellows...seems as though yall are a step ahead of us this year. However I do think that yalls lack of athletic ability could pose some problems. But like yall have said its a game of more than athletic ability. Maybe that lack has been some of what has held yall back the past few years, which comes back to recruiting. McRoberts, ...Paulus...Shavlik Randolph...zoubek...Harrison Barnes was a huge loss cause yall had been recruiting him hard for the longest, and Roy just got in on him late and still landed him...an article I read said something I agree with... Right now, the Tar Heels are the toast of college basketball while the Blue Devils are carry the stigma of good, but not great.
    The point has been made ad nauseum. Athleticism is not solely defined as running fast and jumping high. Putting a basketball through a hoop, dribbling through defenders, rebounding, and guarding people are indeed athletic events. Therefore, I take significant issue with you stating it as a fact. Incorrect.

dukemsu

dukemsu

Duke is alarmingly unathletic. It is a fact. Fortunately, it takes more than athleticism to win basketball games. Connecticut shot just 53 percent from the line and turned the ball over 16 times. Coach K scouted Connecticut well - it doesn’t have a reliable shooter other than Jerome Dyson, and as a team, went 0-for-4 from deep. Nonetheless a great win for you fellows...seems as though yall are a step ahead of us this year. However I do think that yalls lack of athletic ability could pose some problems. But like yall have said its a game of more than athletic ability. Maybe that lack has been some of what has held yall back the past few years, which comes back to recruiting. McRoberts, ...Paulus...Shavlik Randolph...zoubek...Daniel Ewing. Harrison Barnes was a huge loss cause yall had been recruiting him hard for the longest, and Roy just got in on him late and still landed him...an article I read said something I agree with... Right now, the Tar Heels are the toast of college basketball while the Blue Devils are carry the stigma of good, but not great.
    I'm not a Duke graduate (or even student) but do they not teach grammar anymore at major state universities? Organization? Logic?

I will agree with you that the Tarheels are toast in college basketball. We can finish the discussion regarding athletic ability March 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I'm not a Duke graduate (or even student) but do they not teach grammar anymore at major state universities? Organization? Logic?

I will agree with you that the Tarheels are toast in college basketball. We can finish the discussion regarding athletic ability March 7th.
    you people are hilarious ... I have said to another gentleman who said I needed commas...these are internet posts I am in no way trying to type some sort of formal document...however I think their was logic in my oppinion

Just give me a "W" forget stats

Carolina_Blue, you may want to pull the reigns on your horses and remember that it's a short walk from the Penthouse to the Outhouse! As a matter of fact, UNC better stack up on the toliet paper especially during the next 10 days...I got a feeling UNC is going to have a bad case of diarrhea, heck Nevada already had UNC's stomach churning!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Sorry, he played to the stereotype and highlighted the predictable for a Duke-hater. Why apologize for this guy or this line of commentary? It stinks.
    I don't think Winn is a hater, though his commentary sometimes crosses the line between breezy and snide. But I was a little bothered by how close his column came to endorsing the notion that white= unathletic = smart = Duke. Our kids don't deserve to have to deal with that nonsense, and neither do UConn's. Just sloppy writing by Winn.

We've always welcomed good-natured fans from other schools. You, sir, are not good-natured at all. Not everything Duke does is related to what UNC does. This thread has nothing to do with Harrison Barnes, or Shavlik Randolph for that matter.

And you show your lack of basketball knowledge repeatedly there. Daniel EWing was a terrific athlete. Why on earth would anyone put him in the same sentence as Brian Zoubek? Josh McRoberts was a tremendous run/jump player -- he just didn't have post skills (or a good attitude). And this year's Duke team has more than enough "athletes" -- the Plumlee brothers, LT and Singler up front. Dawkins has a superb vertical. Nolan has every "athletic" trait you'd want -- length, strength, leaping ability, speed, quickness. And anyone who think Scheyer isn't athletic, just because he doesn't dunk, doesn't understand basketball. Want proof? Go watch the replays of what he did to your boy, Wayne Ellington, every game he guarded him. And then watch how he played in Chapel Hill last year, a game in which Duke was missing Nolan, on the road against the eventual national champs, and very nearly one. Give it up. You want to be here and contribute? Lose the 'tude.

you people are hilarious ... I have said to another gentleman who said I needed commas...these are internet posts I am in no way trying to type some sort of formal document...however I think their was logic in my oppinion
    This isn't a normal internet board. Grammatical accuracy and a logical thought process are highly valued here, not because it's a Duke site, but because that's how it was created. As Ron Burgundy says, "When in Rome..."

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I don't think Winn is a hater, though his commentary sometimes crosses the line between breezy and snide. But I was a little bothered by how close his column came to endorsing the notion that white= unathletic = smart = Duke. Our kids don't deserve to have to deal with that nonsense, and neither do UConn's. Just sloppy writing by Winn.
    Read it again. It's pretty clear that he's lamenting those racial code words, rather than endorsing them.

Agree with everything coach K and jumbo have said. This year's team is not as athletically spectacular like UConn/UK etc but they are athletic enough to win most every game.

But seriously, especially as a former duke student, how does this tar heel's post not conform to EVERY negative stereotype us dukies have about unc? It's like he had a checklist or something - bad grammar and spelling, disconnected thoughts, poor logic, straight up wrong facts (daniel ewing are you serious?!), and of course the excessive yalls don't help much either.

Now I do respect unc, but this post was pretty laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Read it again. It's pretty clear that he's lamenting those racial code words, rather than endorsing them.
    Except that he isn't. While Winn does concede that Duke is "moderately athletic," there's not much lamentation in this paragraph.

Highlights do not decide everything, though, and the 13th-ranked Huskies were beaten 68-59 by the seventh-ranked Blue Devils in the first meeting of the two teams since the 2004 national semifinals. Robinson called Duke "smarter," and Scheyer, who had 19 points and five assists in the final, upping his assist-to-turnover ratio to 31-to-3 on the season, was the smartest player on the floor. UConn coach Jim Calhoun said Duke "played with a great deal of heart and toughness," something that was most seen on the offensive glass, where the Blue Devils held a 25-14 advantage, making up for the fact that they shot 28.4 percent from the field compared to UConn's 37.3.
    I don't think Winn wanted to endorse the idea that "alarmingly unathletic" players were more likely to be smart and scrappy, but he didn't do much to reject the implication.

Duke Hate Tsunami 2010, tourney edition

You don't have to like us, but you better fear us. Go Duke!

Link below to a story by Pat Forde at ESPN on Final Four "likability" (unnecessary spoiler: He really hates us). I'd say don't read it to avoid giving him high ratings, but I'll leave that choice to you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tourna...pat&id=5040237

Sitting here at my desk at school during my planning period literally laughing out loud!

If your coach ever had a team put on probation, deduct five points. (West Virginia)

If your coach has been arrested and forced to resign, deduct five points. (West Virginia)

If your coach ever had a player who punched a police horse, deduct five points. (West Virginia)

If your coach dresses like a sports writer, add 10 points. (West Virginia)

Gotta love the national media backlash against Duke.

All in all, however, this is a very difficult team to actively "dislike." Who's the villain on this Duke team?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenilnil View Post
    You don't have to like us, but you better fear us. Go Duke!

Link below to a story by Pat Forde at ESPN on Final Four "likability" (unnecessary spoiler: He really hates us). I'd say don't read it to avoid giving him high ratings, but I'll leave that choice to you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tourna...pat&id=5040237
    alteran's Sports Columnist Suckability Index:

If your column focus is about as original as making fun of the French, deduct 20 points.

If you cite incidents about a school that are so far back they are allowed to vote, deduct 8 points.

If you rank a school whose coach has a high scumbag factor anywhere but last on your list, deduct 9 points.

If you finish on a self-deprecating note, add 6 points.

If you have a really silly spelling of your last name, deduct 12 points.

If you spell "Krzyzewski" properly, add 10 points.

If you ding a team more for advancing against a "rose petal" schedule then teams that played weaker seeds, deduct 15 points.

If you manage to sneak a little praise in with your barbs, add 8 points.

If you have an inconsistent scoring system, deduct 9.2 points.

Pat Forde might be the worst writer in the history of writers. He's constantly taking dumb, unfunny shots at Duke. Yet somehow, it's less terrible than his college football writing.