Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, except for the part that he called it "breaking news." The H-S article came out yesterday, so merely repeating what was reported in that article wouldn't be breaking news in any meaningful way.
    I agree. and I've actually tweeted at him to see if there is more than that going on.

But here's another point. Assuming your interpretation of JWIll's tweet is correct, other writers/reporters will be asking the exact same question that I am. And soon, there will either be confirmation that this is true, or a repetition of what we know from yesterday's article.

JWill's tweet had less actual information the yesterday's story - and radically changes those narratives, so that is why I am waiting for further reporting.

jwill's tweets ARE news.....no need for "reporters" to convey to the public any more....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    I agree. and I've actually tweeted at him to see if there is more than that going on.

But here's another point. Assuming your interpretation of JWIll's tweet is correct, other writers/reporters will be asking the exact same question that I am. And soon, there will either be confirmation that this is true, or a repetition of what we know from yesterday's article.

JWill's tweet had less actual information the yesterday's story - and radically changes those narratives, so that is why I am waiting for further reporting.
    I think that, based on the "breaking news" part and Williams' general understanding of the regularly used meaning of "testing the waters", the logical conclusion is that Williams thinks Mason is declaring without an agent. Singler didn't test the waters - he gathered information. But I agree that we'll probably soon find out as people start to ask more questions.

Well, except for the part that he called it "breaking news." The H-S article came out yesterday, so merely repeating what was reported in that article wouldn't be breaking news in any meaningful way.
    That's it! I'm staying off of twittter! My nerves can't handle the psychological madness involved!

The article that came out yesterday made it clear (or I thought it sounded clear) that Mason was going to gather some info and go on a fact finding expedition.
    Now today, we've got "breaking news" that he's "testing the waters".

To me, that doesn't equate him declaring for the draft in one day's time, so I'm not sure what source to believe, or rather what interpretation to believe.

But, who knows...and this is why I'm going to stay away from Twitter until the end of April!

Goodman says JWill jumped the Gun

Jeff Goodman at CBS says that JWill jumped the gun:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-mason-plumlee

Former Duke star and ESPN analyst Jay Williams tweeted that Blue Devils junior forward Mason Plumlee has decided to put his name in for the NBA Draft.

According to multiple sources, that's news to Plumlee.

Plumlee told numerous sources on Thursday he's "looking at the NBA" and Duke is gathering information whether he'll be a first-rounder. He intends to sit down with his family this week and then make a decision prior to the April 10 deadline.
    Moreover, JWill has followed up his tweet about Mason testing the waters with a tweet...linking to the H-S story from yesterday. WRAL has confirmed with Mason's dad that he's looking at the NBA but nothing's been decided and that Mason needs 2 classes to graduate.

Again here's the single key point - Mason HAS NOT YET entered his name into the draft. He might, and I would bet its likely. But as of right now, the H-S story from yesterday provides the most complete evidence of what Mason is doing and no new imnformation has changed that.

I think J-Will was a little imprecise with his wording. Essentially nothing has changed. Mason is considering the NBA and is gathering information. As many have noted, Duke players typically do not need to "test the waters" in light of K's NBA's connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I think J-Will was a little imprecise with his wording. Essentially nothing has changed. Mason is considering the NBA and is gathering information. As many have noted, Duke players typically do not need to "test the waters" in light of K's NBA's connections.
    EXACTLY. And because of new NCAA rule and the new NBA CBA, there is effectively no "testing the waters" period where you enter your name without hiring an agent and a few weeks laters decide to stay in or out - the time frame is too short.

Again, nothing has changed, and as of right now, this is what Kyle Singler did in 2010...It may not end up the same way, but it is at the same stage.

Moreover, JWill has followed up his tweet about Mason testing the waters with a tweet...linking to the H-S story from yesterday. WRAL has confirmed with Mason's dad that he's looking at the NBA but nothing's been decided and that Mason needs 2 classes to graduate.

Again here's the single key point - Mason HAS NOT YET entered his name into the draft. He might, and I would bet its likely. But as of right now, the H-S story from yesterday provides the most complete evidence of what Mason is doing and no new imnformation has changed that.
    Wow, poor form on JWill's part. I was unaware how close Mason was to graduating. I had always assumed that the double-major declaration made it less likely he'd leave early. But if he's only 2 classes away from completing his degree, that might have been faulty on my part. I still do suspect that Mason is going to go, but definitely poor form on Williams' part with that tweet. He should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Do we need anything more than that? I trust JayWill 100% and seriously doubt he'd tweet something like that unless he was positive about his info.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Do you think that Williams would tweet something like that if it weren't accurate? He's got pretty decent ties to Duke, after all. Given his desire to be objective and professional in the business, you think he'd want to be really careful not to say something inaccurate about his own school.

Like I said before, it's a tweet.

A lot of times tweets end up being real news. Not all the time.

I'd expect more from Williams, though. As a Duke grad, he should know that tweets are still news, and that there's not really much difference between a tweet and an interview - it's all public domain once you put it out there.

Interesting that NBC is now saying he's going pro. Things are all over the place.

My guess is that Williams was probably pretty accurate but jumped the gun.

The follow up tweet...geeez

Jay Williams ‏ @RealJayWilliams

Here is the article on Mason Plumlee exploring the NBA by the Herald Sun: http://heraldsun.com/view/full_story...#ixzz1pqbwLtdq
    1h

Jay Williams ‏ @RealJayWilliams

Breaking News: Mason Plumlee of Duke testing the NBA waters.

My guess is that Williams was probably pretty accurate but jumped the gun.
    You're probably right. These days people are desperate to be the first person out there with news.

Interesting that NBC is now saying he's going pro. Things are all over the place.
    Yeah, but the NBC article is quoting Jay Williams and has no other quote or source.

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod View Post
    That appears to be based on nothing more than Williams' first tweet, and is an obvious distortion of it: "As first reported by TV analyst and former Duke point guard Jay Williams, Blue Devil forward Mason Plumlee will enter the NBA draft." That is not even remotely what Williams reported.

It isn't that it was a Tweet, it's that it was a Tweet that could have meant two different things and some people chose to conclude that it clearly meant one of the two. Daniel Martin at the link above is the best example of this.

You're probably right. These days people are desperate to be the first person out there with news.

Yeah, but the NBC article is quoting Jay Williams and has no other quote or source.
    Very true. Lazy journalism (the NBC guy) on top of either lazy or too aggressive journalism (JWill).

Very true. Lazy journalism (the NBC guy) on top of either lazy or too aggressive journalism (JWill).
    The NBC article also states that they expect Austin Rivers to declare.

*Sigh*

Oh well, no matter what the make-up of 2012-2013, it will be exciting.

t. I was unaware how close Mason was to graduating. I had always assumed that the double-major declaration made it less likely he'd leave early. But if he's only 2 classes away from completing his degree, that might have been faulty on my part. .
    A academic-all American Double Major who is two classes away from graduating after his Junior year...Color me impressed, Mr. Plumlee

NBC affiliated with Bleacher Report? Wow. Have they brought any journalistic credibility to what previously was a forum for anyone to post anything and declare it "news" (based on the latest Williams/Plumlee thing, I'm suspecting not)?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    The NBC article also states that they expect Austin Rivers to declare.

*Sigh*

Oh well, no matter what the make-up of 2012-2013, it will be exciting.
    Agreed. We'll be good either way. We'll be better with those guys than without. But we'll be good either way.

Who knows next year team might even do better in the NCAA Tournament. :)

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I agree that on paper we are weaker next year without Austin and Mason. But I am not sure it is much weaker. Sulaimon is going to be very good. Other players step into bigger roles. Hopefully Murphy and Gbinije give us more flexibility at 3/4. Post presence will be a big issue. We aren't going to be one of the top 10-15 teams most likely to win it all but we will be a sure-fire tourney team

Additionally, if Barnes and Henson leave with Zeller (and possibly Marshall) UNC is rebuilding too. FSU is rebuilding too (MUCH more so than we will be). NCST (if Leslie stays) could be the favorite to win the ACC.
    Hi,

It is super hard to predict what a team will or won't do until one sees that team play going into, say, March. It was clear (though nobody could put their finger on it, even the coaches) that there were some sort of chemistry issues with this team. Next years team without Austin or Mason (should they choose to leave) might in fact be "better" because of improved chemistry issues. New kids coming to the program and older kids stepping up to the plate might make for better Duke basketball. For all we know, Austin and Mason come back and we (there I go again, referring to the team as if I had something to do with it) will be better next year. However, I don't think anyone would be surprised if they come back and the same things happen to next years team. Perhaps part of the problem was that this team liked Austin too much and kept waiting for him to save the day?

I am a Golden State Warriors fan. Back in the day (when the Warriors used to actually be good) they had this guy by the name of Wilt Chamberlain. I never understood why the Warriors traded him away, he is (no offence to Mully and the rest of the retired jerseys) the best Warrior to ever don a Warriors jersey. As a kid I was explained that the Warriors had no choice because the team relied too much on Wilt. They were not going to win any championships looking around waiting for Wilt to score another 100 points. I wonder if the team had Austin on such a pedestal that they need to know he isn't walking through the door to actually be a better team?

I hope Austin comes back, I think he would be leaving prematurely if he left after one season. However, I can see how the allure of the association might be too much. Then again, Doc Rivers might have already decided Austin should stay and is waiting for the right time to fly to Durham and speak with his son about it in person. I really like Doc and think he is very level headed. There are undoubtedly things behind the scenes we have no idea about.

GO DUKE!