Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It will be interesting to see what he decides to do. He will clearly play a lot at Duke should he choose to come. Same at KY. So it might come down to who he wants his teammates to be.
    Shabazz playing on the wing at Duke would free Andre Dawkins up to play at his natural shooting guard position along with Seth Curry and incoming freshman Sulaimon. We would be deep at the 2/3. Here is the game recap and box score from the game.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Here is the game recap...
    I encourage readers to check out the game recap, notable for its failure to mention Sulaimon. Because he didn't score much - and to be clear, his shot wasn't on - he gets no mention. But he was a major factor in the US comeback, particularly for his everywhere-D but also for his work in helping the US show some O.

Only if you saw the game might you be able to connect US Coach Kevin Boyle's emphasis on the US causing lots of turnovers in the second half, which enabled the US "to get back into the game," with Rasheed's and Noel's contributions. Neither of these key-D guys got a mention, whereas the "scribe" did note that Gary Harris and Archie Goodwin scored 8 and 7, respectively. Fine players to be sure, Harris and Goodwin, but it was Sulaimon and Noel who keyed the D.

The self-same scribe attributed Bennett's late miracle-3 to Andrew Wiggins, so unless several EK posters [including me] and the game commentators got it wrong, it was Bennett. OTOH, Wiggins's game was second only to Muhammad's, and, while not miraculous, was eye-poppingly good.

Rasheed was among the many US players who looked lousy, even overwhelmed, in the first half. Muhammad was the only exception. Second half, different story. Rasheed played almost entire 2d half. I'm sure he was kicking himself for missing some shots.

Hope it's not Muhammad, Noel, and Bennett to UK. Blech.

After reading these posts...

How is Sulaimon not Nolan 2.0?

-Loves to play D
    -Works his tail off
    -Offense is still a little raw
    -Better than average 3pt shooter

I have a new man crush.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Among the many, many pieces of unasked-for advice I'd give to the staff: Get lots of video of Aaron Craft, and make Rasheed [others, too, but especially Rasheed] watch and practice footwork, anticipation, quickness, angles, positioning, fight-through-picks.

Rasheed showed a bit of Craft's on-ball D in last night's game, so he might have it to become a Craft-clone true disruptor up top. Footwork, length, hands, and a tough, determined - somewhere between conscious and intuitive - willingness to absorb lots of hips, elbows, bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    How is Sulaimon not Nolan 2.0?

-Loves to play D
    -Works his tail off
    -Offense is still a little raw
    -Better than average 3pt shooter

I have a new man crush.
    I love Nolan but I hope Sulaimon starts his career out stronger than Nolan did. Nolan didn't blow up till he was a junior.

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    I love Nolan but I hope Sulaimon starts his career out stronger than Nolan did. Nolan didn't blow up till he was a junior.
    I agree, we really need him to play big time next season. I really appreciate all the reviews of this play and I'm glad to hear that he's playing defense so well.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I encourage readers to check out the game recap, notable for its failure to mention Sulaimon. Because he didn't score much - and to be clear, his shot wasn't on - he gets no mention. But he was a major factor in the US comeback, particularly for his everywhere-D but also for his work in helping the US show some O.

Only if you saw the game might you be able to connect US Coach Kevin Boyle's emphasis on the US causing lots of turnovers in the second half, which enabled the US "to get back into the game," with Rasheed's and Noel's contributions. Neither of these key-D guys got a mention, whereas the "scribe" did note that Gary Harris and Archie Goodwin scored 8 and 7, respectively. Fine players to be sure, Harris and Goodwin, but it was Sulaimon and Noel who keyed the D.

The self-same scribe attributed Bennett's late miracle-3 to Andrew Wiggins, so unless several EK posters [including me] and the game commentators got it wrong, it was Bennett. OTOH, Wiggins's game was second only to Muhammad's, and, while not miraculous, was eye-poppingly good.

Rasheed was among the many US players who looked lousy, even overwhelmed, in the first half. Muhammad was the only exception. Second half, different story. Rasheed played almost entire 2d half. I'm sure he was kicking himself for missing some shots.

Hope it's not Muhammad, Noel, and Bennett to UK. Blech.
    I think the USA Coach made a mistake by tweaking the starting lineup in the last minute.
    He started Kaleb Tarc at Center and James Robinson at PG, who was a late addition to the team. The USA got off to a horrible start on offense and defense.

Noel, proved that he is the best Center in this class, and while his offense is still raw, he showed the can make an impact with this defense. The other Centers didnt do anything on defense or offense, McGary, Parker, and Tarc all picked up fouls fast when they played.

Bazz is going to be good. He is pretty much going to beat players by simply being more physical than anyone.
    Anderson is a good player, very versatile. Shaun Livingston 2.0, just slower.

Anderson and Bazz, were the 2 best players for USA and got a lot of burn together.

Sheed, didnt shoot the ball well at all, all of his shots were going long, maybe the international line played into it. But, I do like his defensive abilities. He is easily the best perimeter defender for Duke. He plays more like a combo guard, not a true PG, but can handle the ball. He is probably going to be better suited to play the 2.

I like Parker a lot, very physical, he isnt Brand or Sullinger right now. He needs a lot of work, but has the tools to be a good player.

Bennett reminds of me Brandon Bass. Undersize for a NBA PF, but in college he is going to beast.
    Wiggins...well Duke needs to offer him right now. He has lots of talent and didnt back down from Bazz one bit.