Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Ryan Kelly in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FerQjITEfzI

Here's a video of the 3-pt shooting competition.

Ryan shot 16-25 on the final round.

Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    John Wall is a 5th year senior.
    While Wall is not eligible for the McDonald's game, that doesn't mean he isn't on people's minds. Here is a tidbit from rivals.com coverage of Monday's McD's practice (scroll down to Extra Thoughts):

"Duke has strengthened its position with No. 1 ranked prospect John Wall after a productive meeting with the prospect on Sunday. Duke might also benefit from what seems to be the imminent departure of Coach Calipari from Memphis to Kentucky."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...asp?CID=930036

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    That's certainly reasonable.

Just for info, though, Olek was ranked around 90 to 105 among last year's recruits. Mason and Ryan are currently ranked 11 and 12 by ESPN, and generally in the 10 to 40 range by almost all the services. They both have considerably more basketball experience than OC.

The off-season, particularly following an NCAA tournament loss, can be rough, as we watch our rivals proceed on, and wait to see if the NBA will claim current players.

I don't see much wrong with getting to see highlights and all-star game play from our new guys, and getting excited about the possibilities.

Mason and Ryan both seem to be talented and are also personable and well-spoken. Welcome!
    'right - for perspective - williams was top 20, he played at end of year, plumlee was top 50 and saw a little time, cyck (sp?) was top 100 and saw no time

Again, all the usual disclaimers, and these impressions could all change Wednesday night... but I was about as impressed with Mason last night as I could have been from a dunk contest. I don't really agree with the Laettner comparisons as far as playing style - Mason's not a Laettner-type shooter by any means, and Laettner was nowhere near the jumper Mason is.

We already knew he could seriously elevate, but what impressed me the most last night was a) how comfortably and fluidly he moved and elevated and b)his swagger. The former was where he really looked different from Miles/McBob - how easily he would elevate to near-head-at-the-rim-level and how smooth he looked gliding to the rim (major hang time for a big guy). I can't remember the last time I've talked about freeze frames so often, but I paused the replay of his second dunk when he was at his peak and fully extended... and let's just say if you can jump like that with that kind of height/body control/wingspan, you're a pretty special athlete. I also liked his general demeanor and attitude... he just looked like a star. He's good and he knows it. This is the area in which I hope he can develop a bit of a Laettner complex.

I'm just praying we get Mr. Wall now, because he and Mason would be so much fun to watch together. If Mason can play with the type of slashing guard that can draw defenders and feed him in a position where he can take 1-2 steps towards the basket and attack the room off of one foot, he could be an absolutely terrifying finisher.

No high expectations, just high hopes...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Again, all the usual disclaimers, and these impressions could all change Wednesday night... but I was about as impressed with Mason last night as I could have been from a dunk contest. I don't really agree with the Laettner comparisons as far as playing style - Mason's not a Laettner-type shooter by any means, and Laettner was nowhere near the jumper Mason is.
    Laettner was a low post player until his Jr. year. I recall K chiding Ferry in '89 that "finally we had a real center". Laettner was no slouch, but yes, Mason seems to get up easier.

The Racks

Could they not have found a taller rack to hold the balls for Ryan? It was like those things were made for a little kid. He had to bend over. I hope someone can throw him better passes than that next year.

These guys look really really good. Man, we should have known how good they were a long time ago. I feel bad for doubting this class.

Thanks for the video of Kelly in the 3-point contest. Apprears he has a very consistant motion.

Does anyone have a link to Plumlee's dunks? I looked on youtube and the McD's website but couldnt find them, sorry if it's already been posted here.

From draftexpress:

Mason Plumlee put on quite a show at the dunk contest last night in terms of athleticism and pure creativity, and he continued to impress today with his excellent raw physical tools. He set the tone early on at the practice by diving on the floor for a loose ball, which immediately seemed to raise the level of intensity for everyone around him. He had a couple of impressive moves around the rim, putting the ball on the floor and finishing emphatically at the rim, and also showed a nice stroke from beyond the arc. He’s clearly a very raw prospect who is quite a ways away from being able to contribute on the defensive end the way Coach K will demand from him next year at Duke, but his upside is definitely intriguing.

---------------
    I hate the word "raw" in there...I've had enough raw "big men" for Duke lately, to the point where its just annoying (Uh, Czyz, Zoo, Lance, much?). Still, not terrible.

Also of note is the Xavier Henry article that indicates he could not follow Calipari and head to Kansas...and that this could somehow affect Harrison Barnes, who i know we're very interested in.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

It's really not about how high you can jump as it is about how quickly you can get off the ground.

Casey Sanders was the perfect example of this, he could jump really high, but he could not jump unless he gathers himself first, which is why he dunked so rarely. Because the split second it takes to gather yourself is all the defenders needs to either knock the ball out of your hands or get in position to block your shot.

Just for fun - over or under 10 points for Mason and Ryan tomorrow?

I figure 10 points is a good measure for a "respectable" showing in the McD's game. I'm going to be an optimist:

Mason: Over. 12-15 pts, all on dunks/lay-ins/FTs. Mostly spectacular alley-oops with a jab-step drive from the elbow or two mixed in. I think he will rebound better than we might expect (7-8), but will struggle with defensive positioning and shot-blocking more than we might expect. Hopefully I underestimate him and he somehow explodes for 20+ and protects the rim like a skinnier Dwight Howard.

Ryan: Over. I think he's been under-hyped due to the fact that he's not filling a gaping hole for us and he isn't a highlight player, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 15-18 points... although it could just as easily be 5 depending on how assertive he is. I predict he takes advantage of others not taking the game as seriously and hits a three or two, finishes a couple inside, and is able to juke and fake and create his own mid-range shots whenever he wants to. I also predict that he will be a better interior defender than some expect.

MVP goes to man-child Derrick Favors with 22 and 12.

What does everyone else expect (or hope) to see?

We already knew he could seriously elevate, but what impressed me the most last night was a) how comfortably and fluidly he moved and elevated and b)his swagger. The former was where he really looked different from Miles/McBob - how easily he would elevate to near-head-at-the-rim-level and how smooth he looked gliding to the rim (major hang time for a big guy). I can't remember the last time I've talked about freeze frames so often, but I paused the replay of his second dunk when he was at his peak and fully extended... and let's just say if you can jump like that with that kind of height/body control/wingspan, you're a pretty special athlete. I also liked his general demeanor and attitude... he just looked like a star. He's good and he knows it. This is the area in which I hope he can develop a bit of a Laettner complex.

I'm just praying we get Mr. Wall now, because he and Mason would be so much fun to watch together. If Mason can play with the type of slashing guard that can draw defenders and feed him in a position where he can take 1-2 steps towards the basket and attack the room off of one foot, he could be an absolutely terrifying finisher.

No high expectations, just high hopes...
    Again with the normal disclaimers above, I completely agree with your assesment. I thought Miles looked like a good athlete with lots of potential but with a child like shyness last year. I may have falsely envisoned Mason as having the same tempermeant of his bro but I am beginning to think this is not the case. It is amazing how different siblings can be isn't it. I am fully aware I could be wrong on this from watching a dunk contest but the way Mason carries himself is completely different than his bros. Also his nick name Chile Dog is just slap hilarious.

Miles did look a little tentative, mainly on the defensive end. He did however have some pretty aggressive takes to the hoop that showed how athletic he is. I actually thought he looked pretty polished...smooth handle, good passer, good moves around the rim. One thing for sure is there's going to be a logjam at the 4/5...hope he gets better during the summer and gets his time.

Miami Herald

With the McDonald’s game in town, the Miami Herald ran an interesting series on high school recruits and on the abuses in AAU basketball, not to mention several articles on Kenny Boynton. Today they also had some good takes on the McDonald’s game.

Israel Gutierrez writes about JJ Redick’s MVP game:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/977835.html

Greg Cote writes on “Excess and Greed”:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/977838.html

Fabian Lyon writes on Brandon Knight, a junior Duke recruit from South Florida. With a 4.28 GPA, Duke would seem a great fit:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/hi...ry/976788.html

Here are the AAU articles, but you will have to take a shower afterwards:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/972865.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/974330.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/hi...ry/976180.html

Mason Plumlee

Mason reminds me of The Chief..Cherokee Parks in his leaping ability. Both have good leaping ability from the stand still position. I don't know how much he can contribute his freshmen year, but if he gets stronger over the off season, who knows. Go Duke!

I figure 10 points is a good measure for a "respectable" showing in the McD's game. I'm going to be an optimist:

Mason: Over. 12-15 pts, all on dunks/lay-ins/FTs. Mostly spectacular alley-oops with a jab-step drive from the elbow or two mixed in. I think he will rebound better than we might expect (7-8), but will struggle with defensive positioning and shot-blocking more than we might expect. Hopefully I underestimate him and he somehow explodes for 20+ and protects the rim like a skinnier Dwight Howard.

Ryan: Over. I think he's been under-hyped due to the fact that he's not filling a gaping hole for us and he isn't a highlight player, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 15-18 points... although it could just as easily be 5 depending on how assertive he is. I predict he takes advantage of others not taking the game as seriously and hits a three or two, finishes a couple inside, and is able to juke and fake and create his own mid-range shots whenever he wants to. I also predict that he will be a better interior defender than some expect.

MVP goes to man-child Derrick Favors with 22 and 12.

What does everyone else expect (or hope) to see?
    I've heard you have to get the ball to score. Chances that Plumlee gets a lot of looks will be pretty slim. I'd say under for sure on him. Kelly? Eh, someone might feed him if he's hot on the perimeter. I'll say over there, although I wouldn't be surprised if only guards and wings touch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FerQjITEfzI

Here's a video of the 3-pt shooting competition.

Ryan shot 16-25 on the final round.
    Looks like he learned to shoot by watching Jimmy Chitwood from "Hoosiers". Perfect stroke!

Alert

The Powerade Slam Dunk (plus skills and 3-pt shooting) broadcast is being rerun right now---7:00 PM EDT on ESPN. This prior to the game telecast.

If you haven't seen Mason and Ryan in action, check it out!

Ryan Kelly started for the East squad... nice.

John Henson

Oh, boy. This guy looks GOOD.

I liked that bank shot.