Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I was going on the assumption that he's down to KY, State, and Duke, although I realize Nova has not been formally told "no" yet. I agree with you though that if a young man doesn't come to Duke, the next best option is to stay home and be a hometown hero.
    Yeah I've been thinking for a while now that perhaps he is struggling with the idea of staying close to home. Not sure if he wants to or feels pressure to and most had ruled out Nova. But I think that could be a surprise for everyone if that pull to stay close to home wins out.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    That is what I have thought all along and I hope I am right. Be some fun games next year with Duke, Unc, and State although I honestly think we beat Unc twice and fairly easily. Same with State, I think they cruise past Unc.
    this is how disappointment begins...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    this is how disappointment begins...
    Indeed... I think perhaps someone has a poor short term memory. I made $50 off a Tar Heel betting against a UNC sweep of Duke this past season. UNC going 0-4 against Duke and State... with or without Jefferson is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I'd take what fans say with a grain of salt.
    I fixed your statement for you.

...although I honestly think we beat Unc twice and fairly easily.
    There are lots of ways to describe victories over Carolina but “easily” is rarely used.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I fixed your statement for you.

There are lots of ways to describe victories over Carolina but “easily” is rarely used.
    When I mean easily I just mean easier than the usual dog fights we have. More like a 8 point win but still being fairly in control throughout the game.

When I mean easily I just mean easier than the usual dog fights we have. More like a 8 point win but still being fairly in control throughout the game.
    Nice thought, but I'll have to agree with Bob Green's point here.

Occasionally, we score a decisive win in this series, but usually it's a huge fight.
    McAdoo, Bullock, Hairston, Strickland, McDonald, and some promising freshmen...they'll be plenty dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Nice thought, but I'll have to agree with Bob Green's point here.

Occasionally, we score a decisive win in this series, but usually it's a huge fight.
    McAdoo, Bullock, Hairston, Strickland, McDonald, and some promising freshmen...they'll be plenty dangerous.
    I agree. I'm not really sure where people (including some pre-season evaluators) are getting the idea that UNC will not be so good next year. Yes, they will be a little raw in terms of figuring out how to play together with this particular lineup, but after they get things figured out, they could be a real handful--there is a lot of talent on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I agree. I'm not really sure where people (including some pre-season evaluators) are getting the idea that UNC will not be so good next year. Yes, they will be a little raw in terms of figuring out how to play together with this particular lineup, but after they get things figured out, they could be a real handful--there is a lot of talent on that team.
    Not to go too far off-thread here, but the success of UNC's team next year simply comes down to 1 thing - can Paige or Strickland effectively run the point? If they can, UNC is a sweet 16-type team. If not, NIT baby!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, minor quibble here. Over the past 14 seasons, Duke has had 13 wins of 10 or more points over UNC. So it happens, on average, pretty close to once a year, which in my mind is more than "occasionally." In that period, four seasons (2010, 2002, 2001, 1999) included two or more double-figure wins over UNC, so if our team is significantly better than UNC in a season, the fact of the rivalry doesn't keep us from relatively easy wins.

Of course the reverse is also true -- they've beaten us by double-figures plenty of times -- and because of the rivalry we all know anything can happen. But we've swept the series 5 times in the past 14 years. I'm not predicting it will happen again next year, but I wouldn't really argue with someone who believes it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, minor quibble here. Over the past 14 seasons, Duke has had 13 wins of 10 or more points over UNC. So it happens, on average, pretty close to once a year, which in my mind is more than "occasionally." In that period, four seasons (2010, 2002, 2001, 1999) included two or more double-figure wins over UNC, so if our team is significantly better than UNC in a season, the fact of the rivalry doesn't keep us from relatively easy wins.
    I have watched almost every Duke-UNC game in the last 14 years and there have been plenty of games that ended up being 10-point wins (or losses) that were highly contested up until the last couple of minutes. It's not uncommon for the lead to trade hands constantly for 38 minutes but the final score wind up being 7 or 8 points. The only times I really felt like we could beat them "easily" were at times during the Guthridge/Doherty years and in 2010, though the first game in 2010 in Chapel Hill was actually pretty close.

Out of all the recruits for this year, Amile is the one I wanted most as he just seems to be a Duke kind of guy. Let's hope he makes the right decision for him and his family but I don't think he can go wrong with Duke. It would give us some added confidence going into the season as well because whether we admit it or not, it does upset us a bit when our coaches invest time in recruits and come up almost empty. K and company do great work and sometimes the cards fall our way and sometimes they don't. We have a packed roster and the face of college basketball has changed in regards to playing time and putting in the work. Kind of like our society now that I think about it.

Different season, different look. But don't think the Heels will be weak.

UNC will not have a proven option to go along with MacAdoo inside, and will rely more on quickness and shooting than the inside post offense of recent past teams, but I think they are strong at every other position, assuming everyone's health is back form.

Strickland at the point is not a problem. He was doing very well at the point before his injury. He looks to have a quality backup from freshman Paige, and transfer Luke Davis who has a year of practice under his belt.

The 2g spot is Leslie MacDonald's. He has some serious game and people are forgetting that around here. He'll be backed up by PJ Hairston. If he can find his confidence and stroke after a tough freshman season, he could make major strides. He is strong and has talent.

Bullock will be the SF. He's a first round NBA pick some day, and it may be after next season. Super athletic freshman Tokoto will back him up.

MacAdoo will break out with more touches next season, you can see it coming. He is all-ACC material. Maybe even AA.

The question is the other post position for the Heels. Desmond Hubert is not offensively polished, and lacks strength. Like Hubert, freshman Brice Johnson is said to be more offensively polished, long and even more athletic, but needs strength too. Freshman Joel James has the size/strength, some intensity they say, but is a raw talent likely to need time.

We could see a lot more of a trapping defensive team from UNC next year, and there is a real potential they can be very good at it.

I'm thinking we see a starting season and crunch time line up of Strickland, MacDonald, Bullock, Johnson, MacAdoo with lots of defensive pressure on the ball.

And I think we see lots of PJ, Paige, Hubert, and Tokoto in the rotation to maintain the pressure. Maybe James slips in against some teams with really strong post play.

Good shooting is a must next season from the 2 and 3 spots, as well as an "attack the glass" attitude. I would consider final 8 the standard to shoot for and anything else gravy.

I know we are off topic for this thread, just responding to previous posts. Please move if needed...
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 05-14-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Different season, different look. But don't think the Heels will be weak.

UNC will not have a proven option to go along with MacAdoo inside, and will rely more on quickness and shooting than the inside post offense of recent past teams, but I think they are strong at every other position, assuming everyone's health is back form.

Strickland at the point is not a problem. He was doing very well at the point before his injury. He looks to have a quality backup from freshman Paige, and transfer Luke Davis who has a year of practice under his belt.

The 2g spot is Leslie MacDonald's. He has some serious game and people are forgetting that around here. He'll be backed up by PJ Hairston. If he can find his confidence and stroke after a tough freshman season, he could make major strides. He is strong and has talent.

Bullock will be the SF. He's a first round NBA pick some day, and it may be after next season. Super athletic freshman Tokoto will back him up.

MacAdoo will break out with more touches next season, you can see it coming. He is all-ACC material. Maybe even AA.

The question is the other post position for the Heels. Desmond Hubert is not offensively polished, and lacks strength. Like Hubert, freshman Brice Johnson is said to be more offensively polished, long and even more athletic, but needs strength too. Freshman Joel James has the size/strength, some intensity they say, but is a raw talent likely to need time.

We could see a lot more of a trapping defensive team from UNC next year, and there is a real potential they can be very good at it.

I'm thinking we see a starting season and crunch time line up of Strickland, MacDonald, Bullock, Johnson, MacAdoo with lots of defensive pressure on the ball.

And I think we see lots of PJ, Paige, Hubert, and Tokoto in the rotation to maintain the pressure. Maybe James slips in against some teams with really strong post play.

Good shooting is a must next season from the 2 and 3 spots, as well as an "attack the glass" attitude. I would consider final 8 the standard to shoot for and anything else gravy.

I know we are off topic for this thread, just responding to previous posts. Please move if needed...
    Thank the Lord for you post, Wheat. I have been waiting for a Bersticker moment.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Word in the State circles is that he will be choosing to be a Wuffie.
    What is the word in Duke circles? Many average citizens seem to be thinking that State is pulling out in front here at the end, but I haven't heard much from our resident experts. Any insights?

Any insights?
    Give Gottfried an inch and he'll take Amile.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    But what does that have to do with the UNC roster? You seem to think this thread is about the Amile Jefferson recruitment.

What is the word in Duke circles? Many average citizens seem to be thinking that State is pulling out in front here at the end, but I haven't heard much from our resident experts. Any insights?
    Yeah, no idea. Just relaying what the insiders at State are saying. Haven't heard what our insiders are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, no idea. Just relaying what the insiders at State are saying. Haven't heard what our insiders are saying.
    Obviousy not an insider...But it could just come down to PT; and it appears that Jeffereson may have a better chance of more PT at State than Duke. I think if he's good enough, there would be opportunities for him to play backup at 4 and 3 positions at Duke depending on matchups; but who knows...

As others have pointed out, if we get him, great...If we don't, that would be fine with me. I'm just ready to reolve this situation and move on to the next class although I still am watching the Rodney Hood situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Ha! A well-crafted response.