View Poll Results: Which youth (preteen) sport has the worst parents?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baseball

22 53.66%
  • Basketball

3 7.32%
  • Football

3 7.32%
  • Hockey

5 12.20%
  • Soccer

7 17.07%
  • Other

1 2.44%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Which youth sport has the worst parents?

I have only been involved in competitive youth (preteen) baseball and basketball, but I cannot imagine there are worse parents than baseball parents. I have never seen so many parents who try to coach their kids from the stands and tell the coach what to do.
    Last edited by JG Nothing; 05-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    I have only been involved in competitive youth (preteen) baseball and basketball, but I cannot imagine there are worse parents than baseball parents. I have never seen so many parents who try to coach their kids from the stands and tell the coach what to do.
    Go to a soccer game... Those people try to kill each other sometimes, especially girls high school soccer.

This poll needs an "All of the Above" option.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This poll needs an "All of the Above" option.
    Yup... though I think baseball offers some unique opportunities for annoying parental involvement because the action stops so frequently and there is a noticeable "coaching" moment in between each swing of the bat. This allows parents to inject themselves more than in sports like basketball and soccer that are a bit faster paced.

I have coaching more than a dozen seasons each of soccer, basketball, and baseball for my two sons. The sideline coaching is easily the biggest problem with baseball.

Last season, there was a dad who's son played some 2B for us (he was ok, not great). We were having trouble getting the kid to learn how to help hold runners on second and yet get back to his position in time to field routine grounders. He stopped trying to hold runners on at all, which became a problem for our pitchers and for the pickoff plays we had installed. I asked him what was up and he told me that his dad had told him not to bother holding the runner on at all. I asked the dad why he did that and his response was, "I would rather my son look good fielding a ball at 2B than the pitcher look good picking off the runner."

I tried to convince the kid to listen to the coaches and not listen to his dad, but he refused. There was an easy solution -- the kid ended up mostly playing OF for us instead of 2B.

Baseball parents, more than other parents, seem to be convinced that their child has a future in professional ball. I actually had the parent of an 11-year-old tell me once, "if he gets more experience pitching, I really think he has a chance to be a college pitcher or even make the minors." I was absolutely dumbstruck. The kid was no better than the 4th best pitcher on our team, making him maybe the 30th best pitcher in the league. WOW!

--Jason "my 12 year old and I just finished our baseball season a week ago -- we lost in the semi-finals but went 15-5-1 on the season. I won the Positive Coaching award from the league" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Baseball parents, more than other parents, seem to be convinced that their child has a future in professional ball.
    When I grow up, I want to play center field for the Yankees!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Sorry, Ozzie, you will never grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Sorry, Ozzie, you will never grow up.
    That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

9F 9F 9F

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

I defer to Jason's experience, but I voted for soccer because it seems to attract particularly d-baggy parents.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

That was one of the better aspects of being a rower in high school -- parents were stuck on land.

I myself ask the coach what we/jr needs to work on.if there's something my kid needs to do so we can work on it. i ask if they need anything like more baseballs for practice.or need water cooler ect.i think its funny parents worried about college or minors. im just happy that he's starting.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I defer to Jason's experience, but I voted for soccer because it seems to attract particularly d-baggy parents.
    As a favor to one of my teachers, when I was a senior in high school I reffed one (and only one) soccer game. It was a 6 year old league. 6. Six. One of the 6 year olds was much bigger than the rest and, as 6 year olds will be when they are really big for their age, he was clumsy. There were some accidental collisions, nothing major, certainly nothing intentional, but the parents from the other team had no problem shouting, "That kid's a MONSTER" onto the field. The poor kid clearly heard them. It was awful. Unbelievable that grown people can forget themselves so easily.

I played rec league and school soccer from about age 6 on through high school, and frequently wondered why my Mom would get a lawn chair and sit about thirty yards back from the field up on a hill. A few years ago she told me - she found that she was the world's worst soccer parent and couldn't help but scream, shout, coach, and, ahem, assist the ref if she was on the sideline. So, she removed herself from the action so she wouldn't act like a fool.

I wish other parents had that kind of self-awareness.

FYI: I'm with the "All of the above" option, and would certainly include tennis.

OK, but I'd like to play short stop for the Tigers--- but since I'm a lefty I might get moved to 3rd---though in my heart I'd really like to pitch--- but of course as a .330 hitter they would need me to hit---I'd be great catcher too with my fierce arm and mastery of pitch calling.

Where's that beer man?

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!
    Thats why we all love you OZZIE!!! NEVER Grow Up!

Not shortstop for the StL Cardinals? You can do backflips right?

How about a poll on which sport has the worst kids? I nominate either golf or lacrosse.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    How about a poll on which sport has the worst kids? I nominate either golf or lacrosse.
    I have no experience coaching youth golf or lacrosse but I've coached youth football, basketball and baseball and the basketball kids were by far the worst disciplined and hardest to coach.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Not shortstop for the StL Cardinals? You can do backflips right?
    Uh, no. Never have been able to do those. Never played short stop either. Center field and first base, just like Mickey!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Especially if they are 13 yr old boys unfamiliar with the virtues of daily showers.
    Yee gods.

Center field and first base, just like Mickey!
    Now he's like the Mick!