Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke @ Florida State

Duke (1-6) travels to Florida State (4-3) this weekend for a night game. We are unbeaten (1-0) in night games this year. It will take 60 minutes of error free football to extend our night game winning streak. Florida State is coming off back-to-back losses to Wake and Miami and their offense has not been impressive. On Monday, Bobby Bowden announced that Drew Weatherford would start over Xavier Lee against Duke. Weatherford is an expreienced starter who lost his job to Lee earlier in the season. Hopefully, Duke can put it all together this Saturday night and send FSU reeling to their third straight loss.
    Bob Green

For those who didn't know, this game is on ESPNU

Unbeaten in night games, huh. Too bad we never schedule them at home.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Unbeaten in night games, huh. Too bad we never schedule them at home.
    I always root for our team. I love our team. But, WE DEAD.

I actually fear the Notre Dame game - they are BAD, and have had a terrible season. But, they got a whole lotta blue-chip recruits looking for someone to take "it" out on for one good blow out this season. I hope we won't need stretchers. Or body bags.

As long as we have the better QB, we have a shot.

GO DUKE

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post

I actually fear the Notre Dame game - they are BAD, and have had a terrible season. But, they got a whole lotta blue-chip recruits looking for someone to take "it" out on for one good blow out this season. I hope we won't need stretchers. Or body bags.
    Agree 100% here. I see the Irish taking out a season's worth of frustration on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agree 100% here. I see the Irish taking out a season's worth of frustration on us.
    They've already beaten my other team...and I was there for that one. I'm still going to hope that Duke gets a little revenge for me.

Taking out Frustrations

Notre Dame? Seriously? That team taking out its frustrations on us is your big fear?

What about FSU? I freely admit that their O is iffy this season, but their D is still tits. After two straight losses, to WFU (again!!!) and hated rival Miami (at home, yikes), they will be ready to eat nails. There will be Seminole Defenders waiting on Duke's QB in the pocket. Our D (well, more accurately, the Noles' shakey O) will keep the game from getting really ugly. But Duke's O is in for IT, big time.

The Notre Dame game I am not worried about (at least as far as getting mauled). The VAAAAAAAST majority of those blue chip recruits are on Offense. They're D is pitiful. The Domers D couldn't mount a serious pass rush unless the other team elected to play without any blockers, period. Their O talent is green, and has to be suffering from doubts right now. But, they have talent, enough so to win, at least at home. Still, their D is luaghable. It could be a high scoring affair.

In the (highly) unlikely chance we beat the Domers, Irish Fans will at least start to publicly question (privately, this thought has to have come up) if Weiss is the guy to do it. So, I have to think that the Irish are really gearing up for Duke. Laying a beating on us is really the only acceptable outcome for them. Even a close win over the Devils would be viewed as a loss (kind of like ekeing out a home win over Miami or WFU in hoops this year) by many fans. South Bend will be loud early. The first few minutes are key. If Duke can be competitive early, the doubts will start to gnaw at the Irish and their fans (and maybe a few boobirds will come out, cause there is an outside chance some of those fans might be drunk). Then we have a chance.

I highly doubt it, but a chance.

But Saturday is a done deal. FSU by a lot.

Patrick Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Notre Dame? Seriously? That team taking out its frustrations on us is your big fear?

What about FSU? I freely admit that their O is iffy this season, but their D is still tits. After two straight losses, to WFU (again!!!) and hated rival Miami (at home, yikes), they will be ready to eat nails. There will be Seminole Defenders waiting on Duke's QB in the pocket. Our D (well, more accurately, the Noles' shakey O) will keep the game from getting really ugly. But Duke's O is in for IT, big time.

The Notre Dame game I am not worried about (at least as far as getting mauled). The VAAAAAAAST majority of those blue chip recruits are on Offense. They're D is pitiful. The Domers D couldn't mount a serious pass rush unless the other team elected to play without any blockers, period. Their O talent is green, and has to be suffering from doubts right now. But, they have talent, enough so to win, at least at home. Still, their D is luaghable. It could be a high scoring affair.

In the (highly) unlikely chance we beat the Domers, Irish Fans will at least start to publicly question (privately, this thought has to have come up) if Weiss is the guy to do it. So, I have to think that the Irish are really gearing up for Duke. Laying a beating on us is really the only acceptable outcome for them. Even a close win over the Devils would be viewed as a loss (kind of like ekeing out a home win over Miami or WFU in hoops this year) by many fans. South Bend will be loud early. The first few minutes are key. If Duke can be competitive early, the doubts will start to gnaw at the Irish and their fans (and maybe a few boobirds will come out, cause there is an outside chance some of those fans might be drunk). Then we have a chance.

I highly doubt it, but a chance.

But Saturday is a done deal. FSU by a lot.

Patrick Yates
    Correction: Notre Dame will take out their frustration on the surviving players we have after the FSU game.

Almost too much going on up my way to pay attention: Red Sox, Pats, Celts getting ready to play, and of course this weekend Va Tech at BC. Doesn't appear our game(Duke at FSU) will be broadcast on Yahoo! which is usually how I listen/hear what is going on. Anyone else know where I might be able to listen for free?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Almost too much going on up my way to pay attention: Red Sox, Pats, Celts getting ready to play, and of course this weekend Va Tech at BC. Doesn't appear our game(Duke at FSU) will be broadcast on Yahoo! which is usually how I listen/hear what is going on. Anyone else know where I might be able to listen for free?
    VT-BC game is tonight.

Notre Dame Game

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post

First of all I generally think that it is a mistake to look beyond the upcoming game. I certainly expect the team and coaches are focused on FSU and next week will focus on Clemson and then will think about Notre Dame. However since I will away from the Internet for 20 days starting tomorrow, then I break my own rule.

It is also a mistake to think you "know" how a college football will turn out. In a year when lowly ranked Stanford beats #1 ranked USC at USC and App State beats #5 Michigan at Michigan then certainly anything can happen.

A friend who is a BIG Notre Dame fan (he has season tickets and lives in the Los Angeles area) tells me that Willingham recruited poorly. So the 3rd and 4th year players are not strong. Weis got a late start his first year, so the 2nd year players are not strong. The freshmen and 5th year guys are. Weis did well the last two years with Davies' recruits. So he thinks, maybe looking at it with rose colored glasses, that Notre Dame will be fine in the future with Weis.

This years Notre Dame team is pretty bad. When they beat UCLA at UCLA, UCLA was playing without their 1st or 2nd team quarterback and was using a walk-on.

I disagree with some others and think that Notre Dame has a better defense than offense. They played USC pretty well for a quarter or so. Their offense did nothing.

We can certainly beat Notre Dame. Of course we need to be healthy. We also need to keep from turning the ball over as I think we can stop their offense. There is a chance that Weis will turn the team around and they will beat Navy and Air Force and have some mo.

Its fun to be looking forward to playing Notre Dame and not be dreading the game.

SoCal

The world as we know it will come to an end if we beat FSU or ND in football. But we can always hope. I'll be glued to the TV or radio.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It will be telecast on ESPNU at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday night. If you have satellite or cable that carries ESPNU and you subscribe to it, you can watch it. I've got the DVR set so I can watch it after getting home from the B/W game.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I disagree with some others and think that Notre Dame has a better defense than offense. They played USC pretty well for a quarter or so. Their offense did nothing.
    You're completely right. No one who's actually paying attention thinks that ND's offense is better than it's defense. You can pick five DBR posters at random and put them as ND's offensive line and the unit would improve.

We may very well get blown out by FSU, but I see no reason to think that's a guarantee. They're a mediocre team. If we can be competitive with Miami and Wake Forest - two teams that are better than FSU - there isn't any reason to think we can't be competitive with FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    VT-BC game is tonight.
    Mentally, my weekend just started...now. I was a bit off on the date.

The reason FSU has lost its last two is that they're not that great. I don't think they're any different than any other team with 3 or so losses in the ACC. We had good chances to beat Wake and Miami. Both of those teams beat FSU. Why can't we beat FSU?

Looks like they will be broadcasting the game over Yahoo!, the icon was there when I looked this morning.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 10-26-2007 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Oh fudge, I'm Grant Hill(461) for now...don't know if I should ever post again

Duke - Florida State game on ESPN-U Tonight

I have been on extensive travel during the last two weeks and have been unable to remain current with DBR posts; accordingly, I apologize if this is redundant.

Tonight's Duke - Florida State football game will be carried live on ESPN-U (8:00 Eastern).

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    Why can't we beat FSU?
    Because we're a lot worse than those other teams.

BTW, what is up with FSU's all-black unis. Freaky.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine