J.J-ESPN Insider Article

[Copyrighted text redacted.]

Posting copyrighted material on the board is against policy and grounds for banning. And pretty much anything you find on the web will be protected under copyright.

You can mention an article, use a quote or two, critique it, and give a link. But please don't wholesale quote others' work.

regards,

-jk
    Last edited by -jk; 07-13-2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Copyrighted text redacted.

Huh?

I like this article, but how is posting it here in this manner not a copyright violation? Could a moderator clarify this for me?

Zeb-
    I never gave it a thought, but I expect you are right. Glad I got to read it before it goes bye-bye.

Could someone post the link at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Could someone post the link at least?
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...dickSummer2007

Thanks for the link, I hadn't read that article. It was very, very positive. I had made a (pretend) wager with someone that JJ would score 23 in at least one game last year (based on Salim having done so at least once during his own rookie year) and I'm hoping that he'll take my double or nothing offer, as I feel good that JJ will have the chance to score big at least once this year.

Damn insider nonsense... can someone give a summary? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Thanks for the link, I hadn't read that article. It was very, very positive. I had made a (pretend) wager with someone that JJ would score 23 in at least one game last year (based on Salim having done so at least once during his own rookie year) and I'm hoping that he'll take my double or nothing offer, as I feel good that JJ will have the chance to score big at least once this year.
    JJ's not going to score 46 in a game next year.

(just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Damn insider nonsense... can someone give a summary? Thanks.
    Article basically breaks down JJ's game and says that he seems to be playing with a lot of confidence. Says he shows great leadership with his teammates during games and that he's really dedicating himself to being a better defender.

The author says he's confident in his original Redick assessment - that he'll be a good starter on a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    Article basically breaks down JJ's game and says that he seems to be playing with a lot of confidence. Says he shows great leadership with his teammates during games and that he's really dedicating himself to being a better defender.

The author says he's confident in his original Redick assessment - that he'll be a good starter on a playoff team.
    Good summary...the last thing it talks about is his defense. The author thinks that JJ will do fine against most 2s despite his size/lack of speed, as he plays hard and positions himself well. He won't be able to guard the Kobes of the league, though.

Wait, is there ANYONE who can really guard the Kobes of this league? I mean, doesn't he average like 50 a game?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Wait, is there ANYONE who can really guard the Kobes of this league? I mean, doesn't he average like 50 a game?
    Haha, the author makes that same point. I'm really excited to see what he can do next year with a healthy offseason.

JJ on defense...

Numerous times I've seen people comment that yes, JJ can shoot, but that his defense would be the limiting factor in him getting playing time.

I was reminded of this thread after reading the recent NBA news of teams trying to lure Reggie Miller and Allan Houston back to play. How can anyone think that JJ in his prime is more of a defensive liability than these guys in their twilight years? Allan Houston is basically playing on one leg!

Based on folks in the league not laughing at the idea of these older shooters returning, I think if JJ is given a fair shot, he will no doubt have a fine NBA career.
    Last edited by Zeb; 08-13-2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typos

The insider link led me to another that is free

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...merleaguesday2

"Both Hills are gone -- Grant Hill is off to Phoenix to chase a championship, and Brian Hill is expected to join New Jersey's staff as an assistant after being fired by Orlando -- and Redick knows there's a huge opportunity for him to become a key player for the Magic. He's keeping his summer league success in perspective, though, knowing it's what he does in October that really will decide whether he will get some meaningful playing time.

"In the big scheme of things, I'm not sure this week really means a lot," Redick said. "Travis Diener had an incredible summer league last year [including a 34-point game], and it didn't help him much. Coach [Van Gundy] is going to play the guys he feels the most comfortable with. I'm just hoping to be one of those guys."