Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WBB: Duke 69 North Carolina 63

Oh Lord. 15D.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

WBB: Duke at UNC, Part 2

Gamoe on now on ESPN2. Not an early blow-out like the game Durham, but we're playing well so far.

Throatybeard, we started the same thread at the same time,

Sylvia pulled out her best sparkly jacket for this one!

If that play isn't called a Flagrant II, Duke needs to call Jim Delany about joining the Big Ten.

Not a real great showing by the Tar Heel fans. I can hear the Duke fans cheering better than the unc fans. Lots of nice seats available to.

At 5:00 left, they showed a graphic--40 (!) total turnovers. And there have been more.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Nice win by the Women. Stall ball almost got them, but they hung on.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    At 5:00 left, they showed a graphic--40 (!) total turnovers. And there have been more.
    UNC got the game and the loose whistle they wanted. Needed, really. Wasn't enough.

I just hope the final margin wasn't small enough to allow UNC to steal a bid from that deserves to be in the Division I Championship.

Women sweep Carolina. Defense. Not that gruesome display of foul shooting. Vernerey looked like she was trying to pound the front of the rim with such violence I thought she was deliberately trying to create an offensive rebound.

When was the last time both the guys and the women swept UNC? It's possible this year. Guys did it in 2010, 2004, 2002, 2000 and 1999. Women did it in 2002 and 1999, but I think not in 2000. Can't remember how the women did in 2010 and 2004.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Women sweep Carolina. Defense. Not that gruesome display of foul shooting. Vernerey looked like she was trying to pound the front of the rim with such violence I thought she was deliberately trying to create an offensive rebound.

When was the last time both the guys and the women swept UNC? It's possible this year. Guys did it in 2010, 2004, 2002, 2000 and 1999. Women did it in 2002 and 1999, but I think not in 2000. Can't remember how the women did in 2010 and 2004.
    No sweep in 2010. I *think* the Duke women Triple Crowned UNC in 2004, but I would have to check.

Great Win!

A great tough win for our women. Three difficult - and important - games in a week. The heels in chapel hill after a quick turn around, while playing only (basically) seven players.

Another ACC regular season title and a heel sweep. Now get some needed rest for the tournaments!

Don't forget 2007, when the women went undefeated in the entire regular season (Harding's missed free throws against Rutgers are one of the most "what could have been" moments in all of Duke sports for me).

Congrats to the Duke team and coaches on a terrific season so far.

I watched parts of this game, and it really was not good entertainment.
    Too many turnovers, constant whistles for fouls, and bad shooting.
    I've seen other performances by Duke that have been far better, but this was not pretty today.

Great win by the women. Don't forget that they could have easily mailed this one in since they'd sewn up the #1 seed in the ACCT on Friday. Great first half, and enough composure to hang on in the second. Pretty frustrating play down the last 10 minutes, as they seemingly played scared, or at least "not to lose." Thank goodness the defense stuck around, as our offensive rhythm was just GONE the last 10 min. (Or was the NC offense just that bad??)

Too many unforced turnovers, loose balls seemed to largely go NC's way in the last ten, and boy did NC get some pretty weak calls their way... (Is it just me or is there something psychological among refs that they want to give all of the 50/50 calls to the team that is currently behind? I think I read something last year about that, where statistically, in D1, a great majority of the "could go either way" calls went to the trailing team.)

Does NC hang on to the #5 seed in the ACCT still?

Can't wait to see the ladies make some serious noise in the NCAAT!! This squad is VERY Final-Four-capable. Win the ACCT and a NCAAT #1 seed is certainly possible, and worst case they're a number 2.

Congratulations ladies!!!!

-BD "gotta practice those FT's a lot more this week" BD

#5, ugh. Sweep or no, I don't want to play the fighting Hatchells again.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

The Non Flagrant Non Foul On Haley Peters

That foul on Haley resulted in an injury that was exactly the reason "the elbow above the shoulders" rule was put into effect.

How the officials could not call that a flagrant foul is beyond comprehension.

But - oh well, it's Carmichael.

Quote Originally Posted by B-well View Post
    That foul on Haley resulted in an injury that was exactly the reason "the elbow above the shoulders" rule was put into effect.

How the officials could not call that a flagrant foul is beyond comprehension.

But - oh well, it's Carmichael.
    With all the blood I thought that Hendo had suited up for the ugly blue ladies.

How sweet it is. Haley had 15 stitches, and came back and played like a warrior. Congrats team on the sweep and championship.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

This truly outrageous!

Ugly photo (not for the faint of heart). Houston Chron

Is it possible the refs got this not-flagrant-foul right? Or should they be returned to their day jobs?