Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Big question - anyone know whether the Miami (OH) game Tuesday will be on ESPN3?

I would have assumed so, but the tipoff schedule for the day only lists it as on ESPNU (while some other games are listed as "ESPN2/ESPN3.com", for example). To quote the great Kenny Powers, that ain't ballin.
    It will be.

http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

I'm on Time Warner Cable, and watched yesterday's Duke/Princeton game on ESPN3 with no noticeable problems. Any kind of video "freeze" or "glitch" seemed to be for very few seconds at most, and hardly occurred during the entire game. And, the video quality looked almost as good as HD to me...

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    It's listed here: http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/basketball

Looks like regional coverage; not sure what that means on ESPN3.
    Phew, thanks all. I believe the "regional round" is just a reference to the game being a so-called regional round of the CBE classic.

We had a small thread

in October about the problems with ESPN3. Here's the link: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...highlight=espn

After someone suggested that my download rate could stand improvement, I upgraded it. It did improve matters some, but ESPN3 is clearly better-viewed after the game is over, rather than by streaming it live. When it comes in as a fixed file, the program plays fairly well. On streaming, even with the faster download, the herky-jerk freezing still occurs.

A work in progress, I guess. But pay extra for it? No way.

Internet viewing works fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I wish I could access ESPN3. My cable provider doesn't play nice.
    I've watched several events, including Duke football, on ESPN3.com (via computer) with no problems other than for whatever reasons a fairly long delay at first to get everything going. After that, the picture quality has been excellent without any "breaks."

So far as I know, TWC allows viewing of ESPN3 on one of their digital packages, which I do not have.

My viewing is via moderate speed DSL (average download in the range of 1.5 Mbps) provided by AT&T/BellSouth.

k

Viewing ESPN3 has a lot of variables that determine how well it works. Obviously, the download speed has a lot to do with it. Remember that the download speed is heavily variable depending on the traffic on the individual cable to your home. If most of your neighbors are streaming video or making heavy download demands, everyone's speed slows down, while the people a couple blocks away on a different part of the network might have no trouble. (I'm sure there are network geeks that can explain this more accurately than I have, but the idea is that what others are doing affects your speed, too.)

Don't wait until the game is about to tip off to try ESPN3 for the first time! Check it not once, but several times over a couple of days to see how choppy it is. You might have first tried it when all the teenagers on the street were sharing links of the latest viral videos, so it's much better the next time you try (or vice versa). You don't want to be surprised at tip-off! Based on your findings, you'll know if you may need a backup plan to occupy yourself and not find out the score until you can watch the archive just after the game ends.

I found that watching the Duke-UVA football game was quite nice. We fumbled and weren't able to hook it up to the TV quickly enough, but it was good on a laptop screen. Couple of hiccups here and there, but very watchable.

ESPN3 only?

What is ESPN getting out of broadcasting a Duke basketball game solely on a website/tv channel which has limited availability? It's my understanding that this is only available as an online service or as a tv channel through TWC. Those of us in rural areas not serviced by TWC don't have access to this channel. Many rural areas still don't have high-speed internet through any means besides expensive satellites. ESPN has the rights to a game involving one of college basketball's elite programs and basically has decided not to televise it...yet I'm watching Alabama's football team mop the floor with Georgia State in primetime on a Thursday night? What gives?

Furthermore, I am confused...what is their ultimate goal for this ESPN3? Is ESPN hoping that it becomes a widely available tv channel or a successful subscriber based website?

As I understand it, cable companies pay to have ESPN3 available to their subscribers.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by langdonfan View Post
    What is ESPN getting out of broadcasting a Duke basketball game solely on a website/tv channel which has limited availability? It's my understanding that this is only available as an online service or as a tv channel through TWC. Those of us in rural areas not serviced by TWC don't have access to this channel. Many rural areas still don't have high-speed internet through any means besides expensive satellites. ESPN has the rights to a game involving one of college basketball's elite programs and basically has decided not to televise it...yet I'm watching Alabama's football team mop the floor with Georgia State in primetime on a Thursday night? What gives?

Furthermore, I am confused...what is their ultimate goal for this ESPN3? Is ESPN hoping that it becomes a widely available tv channel or a successful subscriber based website?
    Raycom, not ESPN, has the rights to this game and every single ACC basketball game until the end of this season. If there were no ESPN3, this game would likely only be on GoDuke.com Inside Access. ESPN3 is far superior to that and ESPN3 is available to most major cable/Internet providers now.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

ESPN3 is only an online service and is not and won't be a TV channel. It has nothing to do with Time Warner except, as -jk mentioned, that Time Warner and other internet providers pay ESPN to have the service available. ESPN only has the capability to show 3 (maybe 4 with ESPN Classic) games at a time on TV their family of networks. Making games available on the internet allows many more people to see the game than none at all. Tomorrow night at 8:30 they have an NBA game on ESPN, final of the Coaches vs Cancer on ESPN2 (Pitt vs Tex/ILL) and the semi of Puerto Rico classic (UNC v Minn) on ESPNU. Except for the Duke and Colgate fans all of those other games have a broader national appeal. Having the Duke/Colgate game on ESPN3 is basically a bonus game for most of us Duke fans

ESPN doesn't have very many games on ESPN3 only (this is Duke's sole ESPN3 only game this season). Here is the list. Normally, they will have them on one of their TV channels and simulcast over the web on ESPN3 for the growing number of people who don't have cable but have internet. It is unfortunate that high-speed web is not available in lots of rural areas but as television and internet continue to move towards becoming one entity I think this type of service is going to become more common

Question!

If I have my computer with me on the road and am registered with espn3 at home, will I have access to the game???

Get guys I have a question to all the espn3 users. I have to work while the game will be on. Do they let you replay all the games that they show? I would like to come home after work and watch the game at about 11PM. Will I be able to do this?

Another question; is the game on GoDuke? I have cablevision, so no ESPN3...

If it is not on GoDuke I guess I can try to find it elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by meloveduke View Post
    Get guys I have a question to all the espn3 users. I have to work while the game will be on. Do they let you replay all the games that they show? I would like to come home after work and watch the game at about 11PM. Will I be able to do this?
    You should be able to do it. Go to espn3 right now and you should be able to watch the Miami (OH) game.

ESPN3 is also available on Comcast cable. I believe that Comcast is the largest cable provider.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    If I have my computer with me on the road and am registered with espn3 at home, will I have access to the game???
    Depends on your provider. Some you can, some you can't. Contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Raycom, not ESPN, has the rights to this game and every single ACC basketball game until the end of this season. If there were no ESPN3, this game would likely only be on GoDuke.com Inside Access. ESPN3 is far superior to that and ESPN3 is available to most major cable/Internet providers now.
    Unfortunately for me, Bright House Tampa Bay still has not made ESPN3 available to subscribers here--they've been promising access since September, and every time I've called they move the anticipated connect date back another week or two. So I'll be limited to listening to the Bob Harris radio broadcast online through Duke Inside Access.

I have Time Warner (which I dislike as much as UNCH, if not more) and they finally have provided us access to ESPN3. Since they couldn't hook up the cable correctly in my office (apparently cable internet and cable tv in the same room is just too complicated) I have been constantly streaming ESPN3 to the tv via HDMI cable. There are occasional drops in quality, but over all I am very impressed. I absolutely love that it doesn't play commercials and just goes quiet. That is amazing.

Now if I could just pay ESPN direct for 3 and the other stations, only order a few more channels online, and get the local stations I could drop Time Warner all together. Oh glorious day.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    I think you have to click the 'remote access' tab from your home network. You may be able to do it from where you are now or you may have to have someone at home do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I think you have to click the 'remote access' tab from your home network. You may be able to do it from where you are now or you may have to have someone at home do it for you.
    Correct, you will be asked to log in with your ISP via the ESPN3 site. That's always been the deal on Verizon HSI or FiOS. I can access ESPN3 from work, Starbucks, wherever...

from the site... "Attention Time Warner Cable Customers
    In order to watch ESPN3.com, you must receive ESPN as part of your television service. Please select Time Warner Cable from the list below and you'll be taken to Time Warner Cable’s web site to verify your account. The ESPN3.com video player will open automatically when you're done."
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR