Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FellowTraveler View Post
    It wouldn't stun me. And it might be skewed a bit by recent training. A lot of guys work on getting in the best possible shape going into the combine & team workouts. It wouldn't surprise me if Miles, knowing he'd impress with his size & leaping ability, focused more on skills -- refining the jumper, etc. Obviously, that's just conjecture, but it's what I'd do if I were him,* and it could result in a situation in which guys like Sullinger had a little more body fat than Plumlee three months ago and a little less now.

* Unless of course I was being advised by someone who actually knew what he was doing that this was a mistake...
    I can't find it just yet, but I also recall some posters saying that Miles had something like 4% body fat when he showed up at the NC ProAm two years ago

Have they officially measured his vertical jump at the combine?

It's clear that Miles has added a significant amount of body fat in his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It's clear that Miles has added a significant amount of body fat in his hands.
    That always happens as the fingers get longer,

So when the NBA lists his stats, will they round his height up to 7'0"? Being able to call yourself a seven footer definitely "sounds" a lot better when you're trying to sell yourself as a center.

Also, this is off-topic but Austin measured at 6'-3.5" without shoes and 6'5" with, 205 lb. I expected him to be an inch or two shorter than that and a little lighter. Excellent height for a point guard, and I think teams could envision him getting by as a combo guard as well at that size.

Those body fat measurements are all messed up. They have John Henson and Fab Melo at basically the same fat percentage...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    A rich NBA career is a rich NBA career, whether or not you averaged 15 and ten in college, and success by Miles will help Duke with recruiting. There are plenty of examples of players who blossomed in the NBA after not starring in college. I'll have to think of examples beyond Matt Geiger, Jack Sikma, birdman in Denver.

sagegrouse
    I'm not sure Matt Geiger belongs on this list. He averaged 11+ ppg and 6+ rpg for his career, with highs of 15.9 ppg his sophomore year (at Auburn) and 7.3 rpg his senior year (at Georgia Tech).

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm not sure Matt Geiger belongs on this list. He averaged 11+ ppg and 6+ rpg for his career, with highs of 15.9 ppg his sophomore year (at Auburn) and 7.3 rpg his senior year (at Georgia Tech).
    I thought of Geiger for two reasons: Laettner fouled him out in about five minutes playing at Cameron. He made the league and eventually signed a huge contract (boy, was that team sorry).

sage

Jack Sikma scored over 2,200 points in college.

He sure doesn't belong on any list of college under-achievers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Have they officially measured his vertical jump at the combine?
    They are doing those today. I suspect the numbers will be posted by tomorrow (the physical measurements were taken yesterday and got posted today).

Very interesting stuff. I'm genuinely surprised that Miles is, in basketball height, a 7-footer. Who'da thunk it?

However, I worry that teams will be concerned about his reach; 8'8.5" is more ideal for a SF (for reference, Gerald was 8'6.5", Battier 8'9", Singler 8'10", Deng 9'0.5"). It's a bit perplexing, actually; it's an extreme outlier for someone his size who doesn't have a strangely short wingspan. Actually, he appears to be the tallest player in recorded history to have a reach of 8'8.5" or lower - except for one Tyler Zeller, who came in at 8'8". Miles the enigma...

Really, a lot of the standing reach measurements from yesterday are a little strange, though. Anthony Davis can only reach 9'0? (shorter than Quincy Miller, Carlos Boozer, Derrick Favors, Kris Lang and Luol Deng?) Austin Rivers at 8'1"? (equal to J'Covan Brown, Stephen Curry and J-Will, 2" shorter than Nolan and 4" shorter than Sulaimon?).

The real winner was Henson, who had a spectacular, monster-NBA-center standing reach of 9'3.5" (signficantly higher than Drummond, Davis, and Ezeli, despite having inferior height/wingspan to all three). Really, "arm length" might be a more useful basketball measurement than overall wingspan.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I thought of Geiger for two reasons: Laettner fouled him out in about five minutes playing at Cameron. He made the league and eventually signed a huge contract (boy, was that team sorry).

sage
    I still remember in 1992, when Hurley was out with a broken foot, so Grant Hill was playing point guard, and at a timeout Coach K gave Laettner a rest. Cremins didn't see it coming, so Geiger ended up matched up with Hill, since Hill was the biggest player in the game for Duke. Hill's eyes were as big as saucers when he realized Geiger was on him. Hill did a little shake and bake and drove the lane. Got the foul on Geiger, but missed the shot, I think.

The real winner was Henson, who had a spectacular, monster-NBA-center standing reach of 9'3.5" (signficantly higher than Drummond, Davis, and Ezeli, despite having inferior height/wingspan to all three). Really, "arm length" might be a more useful basketball measurement than overall wingspan.
    Yeah, he's in the Sam Perkins long arms club. Still think Sam had the longest wing span; I mean,
    the guy could almost scratch his ankles without bending over. Anybody remember the "Long Arms"
    signs they use to wave at him in Cameron?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Very interesting stuff. I'm genuinely surprised that Miles is, in basketball height, a 7-footer. Who'da thunk it?

However, I worry that teams will be concerned about his reach; 8'8.5" is more ideal for a SF (for reference, Gerald was 8'6.5", Battier 8'9", Singler 8'10", Deng 9'0.5"). It's a bit perplexing, actually; it's an extreme outlier for someone his size who doesn't have a strangely short wingspan. Actually, he appears to be the tallest player in recorded history to have a reach of 8'8.5" or lower - except for one Tyler Zeller, who came in at 8'8". Miles the enigma...

Really, a lot of the standing reach measurements from yesterday are a little strange, though. Anthony Davis can only reach 9'0? (shorter than Quincy Miller, Carlos Boozer, Derrick Favors, Kris Lang and Luol Deng?) Austin Rivers at 8'1"? (equal to J'Covan Brown, Stephen Curry and J-Will, 2" shorter than Nolan and 4" shorter than Sulaimon?).

Wingspan seems more important for guards who generally defend laterally and reach for bigs who defend vertically.

Having broad shoulders helps in wingspan and hurts in vertical. This is likely part of the story for Miles. Same was true for Shelden.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Having broad shoulders helps in wingspan and hurts in vertical. This is likely part of the story for Miles. Same was true for Shelden.
    It doesn't hurt in vertical - it just hurts in standing reach. Miles seems to be just fine in terms of vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It doesn't hurt in vertical - it just hurts in standing reach. Miles seems to be just fine in terms of vertical.
    Yup - and even there, broad shoulders don't really "hurt", assuming a given height and arm length; they only hurt your standing-reach-in-comparison-to-height-and-wingspan, if that makes any sense. Thus my comment that "arm length" might be a more useful measurement than wingspan, as it would separate out the shoulder width component.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That's correct - the distinction I was trying to make was between wingspan and standing reach. Although I would note that one of the newer things they test at the Combine is "Max Vertical Reach", which would seem to combine standing reach and max vertical leap, so broad shoulders could theoretically "hurt" Miles there as well.

Yup - and even there, broad shoulders don't really "hurt", assuming a given height and arm length; they only hurt your standing-reach-in-comparison-to-height-and-wingspan, if that makes any sense. Thus my comment that "arm length" might be a more useful measurement than wingspan, as it would separate out the shoulder width component.
    Agreed

Now that the shoulders/arm length quandry is finally resolved, how many angels can sit on the head of a pin?