the next ACC/Big Ten Challenge

Okay, the matchups aren't always logical, but it's still interesting to look ahead to next year's possibilities. Duke has played on the road for two straight seasons, so should be due for a home game this year.

I think there are three possibilities -- Michigan State, Purdue and Ohio State are all going to be preseason top 10 teams. I've seen both Michigan State and Purdue picked in various No. 1 preseason polls.

Personally, I think Purdue at Duke would be the logical matchup. Purdue has been home the last two years in the Challenge, including a 2008 (that's December of 2008 in the 2008/09 season) game with Duke in West Lafayette. They owe Duke a return trip.

That would be an awesome matchup. I assume Robbie Hummel will come back after his ACL. They lose Kramer, who took his place in the lineup, but every other starter is back. Would be great to refer back to the tough Sweet 16 game in Houston.

But I also heard (just gossip, don't take it as gospel) that Ohio State is the most likely team to come to Durham. I don't understand (although they are due a road game, MSU is due a home game). OSU returns four starters from last year's team, but loses their stud, assuming that Evan Turner stays in the draft. Still, Thad Motta will have a senior-dominated team and will add two absolute studs in the freshman class in Jared Sullinger (the best post player in the class) and Deshaun Thomas.

Still, if I were doing matchups, the ones I'd like to sell to TV (keeping in mind which teams are due road games, which should get home games):

1. Purdue at Duke
    2. UNC at Indiana (two historically great programs, each trying to regain their status among the elite)
    3. Ohio State at FSU
    4. ??? at Michigan State (Virginia Tech, next in the ACC pecking order, is due a home game; NC State is due to go on the road, but are they good enough preseason to sell this game)
    After that, you can shuffle them anyway you want

Also, hearing Duke is talking to Butler about a two-game series -- one game in Cameron and the other in Canseco (although I'd love a game in Hinkle).

There was supposed to be a series with Louisville -- maybe Duke as the opponent for the first game in their new arena. Heard there might be a snag there.

And does anybody else know about the Georgetown and St. John's series? Not sure, but possible that one or both is coming to an end.

Really like the idea of a Duke-Butler series.

But, given Hinkle's history and the attention such a series would get, this is one where I think we ought to break what seems to be an unwritten Duke scheduling rule and actually play the game on the other team's home court.

Just a little lustre would come off the event if we were playing Butler at Conseco instead of at Hinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Really like the idea of a Duke-Butler series.

But, given Hinkle's history and the attention such a series would get, this is one where I think we ought to break what seems to be an unwritten Duke scheduling rule and actually play the game on the other team's home court.

Just a little lustre would come off the event if we were playing Butler at Conseco instead of at Hinkle.
    Knowing nothing about the discussions, it's certainly possible Duke is bristling at playing at Hinkle. But it's equally possible that Butler wants the game at Conseco for $$$$$ purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

And does anybody else know about the Georgetown and St. John's series? Not sure, but possible that one or both is coming to an end.
    Don't have a link but I remember hearing that this season's (2009-2010) game was the last game in the St John's series.

Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    Knowing nothing about the discussions, it's certainly possible Duke is bristling at playing at Hinkle. But it's equally possible that Butler wants the game at Conseco for $$$$$ purposes.
    I might say this ^

One of the biggest benefits of playing teams like Duke, is that they pack the House and generate large payouts for opponents. I would love to see Duke play true road games, but a lot of the time it comes down to $$$.

Why stop at Jose Canseco Fieldhouse? We know they can pack Lucas Oil for Duke/Butler pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Why stop at Jose Canseco Fieldhouse? We know they can pack Lucas Oil for Duke/Butler pretty easily.
    yeah....not sure 70k would show up if it wasn't the final 4
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Okay, the matchups aren't always logical, but it's still interesting to look ahead to next year's possibilities. Duke has played on the road for two straight seasons, so should be due for a home game this year.

I think there are three possibilities -- Michigan State, Purdue and Ohio State are all going to be preseason top 10 teams. I've seen both Michigan State and Purdue picked in various No. 1 preseason polls.

Personally, I think Purdue at Duke would be the logical matchup. Purdue has been home the last two years in the Challenge, including a 2008 (that's December of 2008 in the 2008/09 season) game with Duke in West Lafayette. They owe Duke a return trip.

That would be an awesome matchup. I assume Robbie Hummel will come back after his ACL. They lose Kramer, who took his place in the lineup, but every other starter is back. Would be great to refer back to the tough Sweet 16 game in Houston.

But I also heard (just gossip, don't take it as gospel) that Ohio State is the most likely team to come to Durham. I don't understand (although they are due a road game, MSU is due a home game). OSU returns four starters from last year's team, but loses their stud, assuming that Evan Turner stays in the draft. Still, Thad Motta will have a senior-dominated team and will add two absolute studs in the freshman class in Jared Sullinger (the best post player in the class) and Deshaun Thomas.

Still, if I were doing matchups, the ones I'd like to sell to TV (keeping in mind which teams are due road games, which should get home games):

1. Purdue at Duke
    2. UNC at Indiana (two historically great programs, each trying to regain their status among the elite)
    3. Ohio State at FSU
    4. ??? at Michigan State (Virginia Tech, next in the ACC pecking order, is due a home game; NC State is due to go on the road, but are they good enough preseason to sell this game)
    After that, you can shuffle them anyway you want.
    OF, your posts are invariably thought-provoking, excellent.

I'm provoked here to think you're joking about UNC-Indiana. True enough that UNC imploded this year. But they will be back near top of ACC next season. Indiana? I doubt it; Indiana has way farther to go to regain elite status. This wouldn't be a game, on paper. I'd hope Duke plays Ohio St or Purdue, with UNC getting a top or near-top-tier team, maybe Illinois or Minnesota, if not Purdue.

That UNC-Indiana thing: were you just sticking the knife in to Heeldom?

I, for one, am looking forward to another Michigan State-UNC matchup. You never know how those are going to turn out!

Lavin

He is the St Johns coach going forward and a consistent purveyor of Duke had the easiest path myth. It would be great to beat his team badly. What would he say then? Duke is no good but we are even worse?

It'd be great if the Duke-Butler series (if there is one) began in Indianapolis, a year after the epic national title game. What a story line that would be, and I would be able to attend fairly easily if played inside the House that Reggie Built.

I'd try and find my way into Hinkle, too, but would be much more difficult given the hype that would surround such a rematch. The best part? If Kyle returns (not likely), it'd be many of the same players, making it a true rematch (minus, of course, Scheyer, Brian and Lance). But, with Nolan, Kyle, the Plumlees and Andre back, it'd be close.

Anything more to add about the Louisville game? I was planning (hoping) to make the 7-hour drive south to see it.