Page 151 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 511011411491501511521531612012516511151 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Uinta Hyve Honey Ale

Pours in the glass a honey amber.
    Very thin lace head dissipates almost immediately.
    The nose has a bit of honeyed "heat" but nothing that indicates hops.

First sip is surprisingly bitter and a little bit astringent.
    There is a sharpness to the finish that reminds me somewhat of the malt finish of a New Belgium Fat Tire.

The finish is also slightly herbal.

It has been a while since a beer has surprised me, or at least been completely different than what I expected.
    I thought this would be a light, refreshing, somewhat sweet beer.

Other than the honey in the nose, I can't really taste any honey sweetness.
    The closest (and this is a reach) comparison I can think of is a British mild or ESB, or a really mild amber ale.

This is another temperature sensitive beer. When I started, it was too cold. As it warms up, there is a bit more honey character but it is still subtle.

Overall, an enjoyable beer that is worth trying, but I would not go out of my way to buy it again.
    I am impressed with the few Uinta brews I have tried.

Deviant Dale's-Oskar Blues Brewing

I have another IPA I will now add to my favorites list. This is packaged in a 16 ounce tall boy can and was a trader last week. Poured a somewhat viscous, sticky orange-yellow with a moderately foamy head. Gorgeous aromas of grapefruit, pineapple and pine with the tastes to match with a bit of resin but well balanced with generous amounts of caramel, malty sweetness and an almost syrupy/oily character. Hops smack your palate at an estimated 80 IBU and the 8% ABV is subtle, but after 16 ounces, there is a mild alcohol burn and buzz. Almost makes it into the IIPA category but falls just short. One of the hoppier, boozier single IPAs I have had. Would love to taste on draft or at a session with the Two Hearted Ale and DFH 60 minute IPA. That would make quite an evening. I'll guess this comes in a 4 pack and I'd wager about $9-10 for the litter. Worth a single or splurge for the whole package and share, trade or hoard.

beer_107354.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Deviant Dale's-Oskar Blues Brewing

I have another IPA I will now add to my favorites list. This is packaged in a 16 ounce tall boy can and was a trader last week. Poured a somewhat viscous, sticky orange-yellow with a moderately foamy head. Gorgeous aromas of grapefruit, pineapple and pine with the tastes to match with a bit of resin but well balanced with generous amounts of caramel, malty sweetness and an almost syrupy/oily character. Hops smack your palate at an estimated 80 IBU and the 8% ABV is subtle, but after 16 ounces, there is a mild alcohol burn and buzz. Almost makes it into the IIPA category but falls just short. One of the hoppier, boozier single IPAs I have had. Would love to taste on draft or at a session with the Two Hearted Ale and DFH 60 minute IPA. That would make quite an evening. I'll guess this comes in a 4 pack and I'd wager about $9-10 for the litter. Worth a single or splurge for the whole package and share, trade or hoard.

beer_107354.jpg
    Interesting, you are the first person I've heard any positive press about Deviant Dale's.
    I had been avoiding it but I may need to go out and get a couple cans now.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Interesting, you are the first person I've heard any positive press about Deviant Dale's.
    It received a 99 rating from a small # of tasters here:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oskar-b...le-ale/107354/

Looks like it averaged out at 89 from 30+ Beer Advocate reviewers:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile...sicforairports

Honestly, I had not heard/read about it until my drug rep buddy included it in his recent 6er for trading. I do have this minor prejudice in that I have found just about all of Oskar Blues brews to be excellent.

It received a 99 rating from a small # of tasters here:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oskar-b...le-ale/107354/

Looks like it averaged out at 89 from 30+ Beer Advocate reviewers:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile...sicforairports

Honestly, I had not heard/read about it until my drug rep buddy included it in his recent 6er for trading. I do have this minor prejudice in that I have found just about all of Oskar Blues brews to be excellent.
    I have not met an Oskar Blues beer I did not like, and I am a big fan. This is the only brew of theirs I have ever heard any criticism of and it was pretty harsh. That said, I will still give it a try.

I have not met an Oskar Blues beer I did not like, and I am a big fan. This is the only brew of theirs I have ever heard any criticism of and it was pretty harsh. That said, I will still give it a try.
    Like this one (from 8/30/10):

Gubna-Oskar Blues

Both you beerknurds nailed it with this one. CB&B finally found a 4 pack in Hokietown in his recent beer hunting expedition and was kind enough to include one in our recent trading session. I have yet to see it in Raleigh. Awesome brew. I didn't note much cannabis, nor did I catch any pine/resin either. I thought this was all grapefruit and zest. The sweetness must come from massive amounts of malt, probably crystal, pale and caramel varieties, to balance the ton of the Summit hops.
    Pours a golden-yellow with a 1-2 finger head which does linger. I talked him into the entire 4 pack in exchange for another high-priced trader from my supply as it was only another couple bucks more for the 4 pack over buying 3 singles. I think he said it was about $15 or 16 for the whole litter. Well, well worth it. Not any everyday or session beer but something I would buy every time I saw it.

Like this one (from 8/30/10):

Gubna-Oskar Blues

Both you beerknurds nailed it with this one. CB&B finally found a 4 pack in Hokietown in his recent beer hunting expedition and was kind enough to include one in our recent trading session. I have yet to see it in Raleigh. Awesome brew. I didn't note much cannabis, nor did I catch any pine/resin either. I thought this was all grapefruit and zest. The sweetness must come from massive amounts of malt, probably crystal, pale and caramel varieties, to balance the ton of the Summit hops.
    Pours a golden-yellow with a 1-2 finger head which does linger. I talked him into the entire 4 pack in exchange for another high-priced trader from my supply as it was only another couple bucks more for the 4 pack over buying 3 singles. I think he said it was about $15 or 16 for the whole litter. Well, well worth it. Not any everyday or session beer but something I would buy every time I saw it.

And I am highly embarrassed I do not have a review of Ten Fidy in my "cellar" somewhere. Guess that means next time I see it I will have to buy a 4 pack.

Lagunitas IPA

I've had quite a few Lagunitas brews, and I have to say, in absence of their Brown Shugga, the replacement Lagunitas Sucks is probably my favorite.

I had never tried Lagunitas IPA before.
    It poured a nice amber shade of gold, and had a head that lingered nicely.
    The nose was piney, resinous, and a bit of grapefruit- very reminiscent of Sierra Nevada pale ale.

That was the theme of drinking the Lagunitas IPA, comparisons to Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head 60 minute.
    The best description I can offer from memory without a side by side tasting, is that Lagunitas is a pale imitation of Sierra Nevada.

Lagunitas IPA is tasty, assertive but not offensive. This is a tough, competitive category for craft brews. Lagunitas may not make my top five pale ales, but it is a great brew nonetheless and worth trying when you have the opportunity.

Premium Dunkel-Warsteiner Brauerei

Average and humdrum. Poured a clear, dark amber with a thin mocha head and hints of smoke and slightly burned cocoa with minimal hop presence. This was a trader and about finishes off the 6er except for the Mendocino Oatmeal Stout which is waaayy too dark and heavy to have in 100+ degree weather. That will be a fall review. The Warsteiner would be fine to compare with some other dunkels or with BBQ chicken or ribs or a smokey cheddar bacon burger. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV was 4.8%.

beer_5311.jpg

I've had a few Deviant Dale's and would definitely recommend giving it a try. It's not among the favorite IPA/IIPA but still a decent brew. I actually find it more drinkable than Gubna which I found interesting to try but I would need to be in the right mood to drink..

Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary

Here's the description from Stone..
    "Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA was created as an homage to the almighty hop. As the celebrated Stone Ruination IPA approached its 10th birthday this June, we knew we had to do something special, so we cranked it up from 7.7% to 10.8% and used twice as much hops–a whopping 5 pounds per barrel, including a pound each of Citra and Centennial in the dry hop. The results were GLORIOUS, but don't take our word for it. The only people more bitter than those who don't get any... will be those who do."

Pours a nice pale amber from a 22oz bottle. I'm a huge fan of Ruination and had a hard time imagining a version with twice the hops. Surprisingly, the hops are there with a big piney resiny bite but very well balanced with some sweeter caramel malts. Again, very citrusy, piney and hop forward with a bitter finish but smoother and more drinkable than regular Ruination. Not too much booziness despite the high ABV. An excellent IIPA.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    I've had a few Deviant Dale's and would definitely recommend giving it a try. It's not among the favorite IPA/IIPA but still a decent brew. I actually find it more drinkable than Gubna which I found interesting to try but I would need to be in the right mood to drink..
    I am right there with you. All Oskar Blues I've tried are great brews, but really only Dale's and Mama's Lil Yella Pils would be beers I would qualify as daily drinkers. Ten Fidy, Gubna, G'Knight, Old Chub all require the right frame of mind to "jump in".

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Here's the description from Stone..
    "Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA was created as an homage to the almighty hop. As the celebrated Stone Ruination IPA approached its 10th birthday this June, we knew we had to do something special, so we cranked it up from 7.7% to 10.8% and used twice as much hops–a whopping 5 pounds per barrel, including a pound each of Citra and Centennial in the dry hop. The results were GLORIOUS, but don't take our word for it. The only people more bitter than those who don't get any... will be those who do."

Pours a nice pale amber from a 22oz bottle. I'm a huge fan of Ruination and had a hard time imagining a version with twice the hops. Surprisingly, the hops are there with a big piney resiny bite but very well balanced with some sweeter caramel malts. Again, very citrusy, piney and hop forward with a bitter finish but smoother and more drinkable than regular Ruination. Not too much booziness despite the high ABV. An excellent IIPA.
    Wow- I enjoy Ruination, I will have to try to find some of this, sounds great! Stone makes some fantastic beers.

Tricerahops-Ninkasi Brewing

Another great name to be added to the list of brew monikers. My son discovered this bomber in a grocery store in Portland when he interviewed out there in February. It is a double IPA (DIPA or IIPA) that pours a slightly cloudy yellow-orange with a moderate foamy head. The scents are pine and citrus and melted caramel and the potpourri of tastes match the aromas with a well balanced blend of malty sweetness and some citrus and peachy notes. (I thought citrus and he thought peaches as we shared the bomber last PM.) The high gravity of 8.8% ABV is deceptive and the hop blast of 100 IBU is not over-powering. Very solid night cap or beverage to serve with spicy and/or hot dishes. The brewery is in Eugene so I doubt I'll ever see this brew again 20.gif.

75473.jpg

Carolina Brewery Firecracker Pale Ale

Ninkasi- man, never had anything from them but have heard great things.

Last night I had a Carolina Brewery Firecracker Pale Ale in a social setting, so this is from memory.

This was a nice bold pale ale, hovering somewhere near an IPA. Clear amber with a nice head, this was really refreshing on a hot night.

I used to know the owners of Carolina Brewery when they were the brewpub pioneers in the area (I'm not discounting Weeping Radish, but it went through so many failed incarnations.) Last night reminded me how much I enjoy their beers- they are quality and well done. In spite of the support for the wrong shade of blue, Carolina Brewery makes great beer and is well worth supporting.

Last night I had a Carolina Brewery Firecracker Pale Ale in a social setting, so this is from memory.

This was a nice bold pale ale, hovering somewhere near an IPA. Clear amber with a nice head, this was really refreshing on a hot night.

I used to know the owners of Carolina Brewery when they were the brewpub pioneers in the area (I'm not discounting Weeping Radish, but it went through so many failed incarnations.) Last night reminded me how much I enjoy their beers- they are quality and well done. In spite of the support for the wrong shade of blue, Carolina Brewery makes great beer and is well worth supporting.
    I must say, I don't think I have every had anything form Weeping Radish I have liked from their days in downtown Derm as a brewpub/brewery to their move to the OBX. I currently have a 1 litre growler of Fest that a drug rep gave me as a "bonus" for all the trading I have done with him over the last year or so. I am hesitant to drink it but will probably take it to G'boro later this month to share with family members after the rehearsal dinner or wedding reception for my son and his lovely bride-to-be.

Speaking of the Carolina Brewery, here's a little gem from their website:

Super Saaz Imperial Pilsner

"Weighing in at 8.3% ABV this beer is super in both strength and flavor. World renowned for its distinctive peppery aroma, the Saaz hop is the favorite variety for all pilsner style lagers. This deep golden hued Imperial Pilsner is packed full of Saaz hops and the finest German malts. We promise you that a small glass of this beer won’t be enough, so be sure to ask you server to “Super Saaz” it for you."

supersaaz.gif

Amusing stuff.

Lots of Beer

Got a great 51st bday present from the hubby this past week. He went to Sam's Quick Shop in Durham and bought me 51 different beers. All are IPAs, lagers, and pale ales and ones that I have not yet tried. The man knows the way to my heart!

I must say, I don't think I have every had anything form Weeping Radish I have liked from their days in downtown Derm as a brewpub/brewery to their move to the OBX. I currently have a 1 litre growler of Fest that a drug rep gave me as a "bonus" for all the trading I have done with him over the last year or so. I am hesitant to drink it but will probably take it to G'boro later this month to share with family members after the rehearsal dinner or wedding reception for my son and his lovely bride-to-be.
    What is the OBX?

Speaking of the Carolina Brewery, here's a little gem from their website:

Super Saaz Imperial Pilsner

"Weighing in at 8.3% ABV this beer is super in both strength and flavor. World renowned for its distinctive peppery aroma, the Saaz hop is the favorite variety for all pilsner style lagers. This deep golden hued Imperial Pilsner is packed full of Saaz hops and the finest German malts. We promise you that a small glass of this beer won’t be enough, so be sure to ask you server to “Super Saaz” it for you."

supersaaz.gif

Amusing stuff.
    Tried Super Saaz a couple months ago. Very tasty, fresh and clean- the alcohol is hidden pretty well, I don't recall it tasting much different than a traditional lager. I'd drink it again.