Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Crank Up the Coaching Carousel

Jim Baron is out at Rhode Island. He had a pretty decent run, but the wheels fell off this year.

By all accounts, he is one of the genuinely good people in the coaching profession. Hope he lands on his feet.

Baron's son, Little Jimmy, put on a show to remember in Cameron in November 2008, hitting 8-of-10 threes and nearly single-handedly leading the Rams to a victory over Duke. I think he snuck into the gym before the game and stole J.J.'s jersey from the rafters because Baron was just killing shots in traffic from 30 feet. Either that or he was born on Moron Mountain.

I am surprised to read SIU has fired Chris Lowry:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=43730
    Bob Green

8-1 odds Calhoun is at URI next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Baron's son, Little Jimmy, put on a show to remember in Cameron in November 2008, hitting 8-of-10 threes and nearly single-handedly leading the Rams to a victory over Duke. I think he snuck into the gym before the game and stole J.J.'s jersey from the rafters because Baron was just killing shots in traffic from 30 feet. Either that or he was born on Moron Mountain.
    I'll never forget that game. Second row watching him drain three-after-three in the second half to keep URI in the game. Had all of us scared to death. One of the few times I remember the Crazies giving an opponent a standing ovation as he left the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    that was the only home game not over a vacation that i didn't attend in my 4 years as a student :|
    1200. DDMF.

THought I saw this AM that Charlie Coles resigned yesterday at Miami (Ohio). One of the more colorful personalities to grace the visitors bench and interview area pre/post games in recent years at CIS, IIRC.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    THought I saw this AM that Charlie Coles resigned yesterday at Miami (Ohio). One of the more colorful personalities to grace the visitors bench and interview area pre/post games in recent years at CIS, IIRC.
    Yes, you did see it. Here is a link:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?sct=cb_t2_a8

Just a Rhetorical Question

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilinNYC View Post
    I'll never forget that game. Second row watching him drain three-after-three in the second half to keep URI in the game. Had all of us scared to death. One of the few times I remember the Crazies giving an opponent a standing ovation as he left the game.
    How can you tell when the Crazies give someone a standing ovation?

Quote Originally Posted by B-well View Post
    How can you tell when the Crazies give someone a standing ovation?

Haha touche. What I meant to is that it was the only time I saw the Crazies "enthusiastically" clap for a player on the other team, much like we would for our own. And there's no doubt he deserved it

Bruce Is Loose

Bruce Weber fired at Illinois today. They were 17-15 on the season but dropped 12 of their last 14.

I am assuming he both lost the locker room and angered alums/administration officials. Otherwise I think he's too good a coach to fire after one bad season.

Anyone following this one more closely?

Chris Collins?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Bruce Weber fired at Illinois today. They were 17-15 on the season but dropped 12 of their last 14.

I am assuming he both lost the locker room and angered alums/administration officials. Otherwise I think he's too good a coach to fire after one bad season.

Anyone following this one more closely?
    Ohhhhh. I just had a thought. Collins is from the Chicago burbs. Could he be on the short list for Illinois? Would they accept him, considering he left the state to play his college ball at Duke?

My guess is the usual suspects get called - Stevens, Smart etc. But Chris Collins will probably get some consideration here.

Ohhhhh. I just had a thought. Collins is from the Chicago burbs. Could he be on the short list for Illinois? Would they accept him, considering he left the state to play his college ball at Duke?

My guess is the usual suspects get called - Stevens, Smart etc. But Chris Collins will probably get some consideration here.
    Assuming the Illinois is willing to with someone without head coaching experience, I would be stunned if Chris Collins isn't on their list. He's from the state, he went the high school coached by Weber's brother (also Scheyer's high school), and there are at least three former Duke assistants under K whose first head coaching job was a slightly down program in a BCS conference (Amaker at Seton Hall, Snyder at Missouri, Dawkins at Stanford)

Again, a lot depends on a lot, but assuming that they don't decide that they need someone who has previously run a program, it would be both schocking &, imho, foolish, for Illiinois NOT to consider Chris Collins.

Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish of CBS say that Shaka Smart of VCU is on top of Illinois's wish list, and the Chris Collins could also be a possibility

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blo...83066/35156720

My uninformed speculative guess is that Collins would be on the short-list for U of Ill. And that interest would be reciprocated from Collins. Why wouldn't they have interest in a native son and I equally suspect that the draw to "go home" to a certain degree; would have its own special lure to him. I couldn't blame Chris for seriously considering and even taking job.

The thing in my mind is recruiting. Duke is involved with a # if Ill. recruits... Do those guys transfer their interest in Duke to Chris's new home? Who knows..

I think that it's time for Collins to take a head coaching job as soon as a decent one becomes available. I would be really surprised if Smart left to coach in an area that he's not familiar with recruiting-wise, and I think that Illinois will end up having to take a very serious look at Collins, or at least I'd like them to.

Crawl

Chris Collins needs to do a little crawling before he heads off to the "big-times." (May be a little too late for that crawqling now) Ala, Bobby Hurley. A smaller, mid-major, perhaps where he can prove himself. Many of our formers go off to large programs without having really proven themselves at one place outside of being an Assitant at Duke under a Hall of Famer. I think one can be successful with that jump from K, to a bigger school; but you've got to be reeeel goood.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish of CBS say that Shaka Smart of VCU is on top of Illinois's wish list, and the Chris Collins could also be a possibility

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blo...83066/35156720
    If Shaka Smart was looking for a better position, I would think he could do better than Illinois.

There was a lot of local speculation when SIU fired Lowery that Weber would be fired at Illinois, and would return to SIU.

Collins a Done Deal?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this isn't already a done deal. it's been interesting over the past few weeks to see Chris take on a leadership role in the huddle, calling plays and pretty much running several time outs. Maybe he and K have known this is in the cards and K has graciously allowed him to take on some game situations to provide him more experience.

I would be shocked if ILLINI don't offer Collins the job. Time to begin thinking about who we may replace him with. Is it Capel, as we have about 48 assistant coaches right now..

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This thread should have been titled "Crank up the speculation about if, when and where Wojo and Collins are going this year".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."