Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Carolina Next Year - - Will Graves Booted from Team (10/7)

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Reading the twitter reports, whoo-hoo for Kyle, Seth, and Nolan. Whoever has been saying Kyle and Nolan "are what they are" (and thus probably won't improve much between their junior and senior years) may be in for a surprise.

It sounds like HB is the real deal, though. In addition to winning a four court length foot race, he was one of the top four in a dribbling drill (as well as Nolan and also Kendall Marshall), and one guy said, "Harrison barnes jump shot is indefensible for a guard, you just have to hope he misses." (Of course, the good news for us is we won't be defending him with a guard.) If McAdoo decides to come early, then reports of UNC's demise may have been premature.
    Just how good do you think UNC will be? As good as Felton,Mcants,May,Ellington,Hans were all of them had a learning curve as freshmen.Plus this time around-no elite PG...big difference.

Unhappy

IMO, they'll be significantly better than last year. It APPEARS as if some of their chemistry issues may be over, and if McAdoo comes early, they won't be nearly as weak in the 4/5 as I had hoped.

Fortunately, they will still struggle at the point, but looks like they'll improve at 3 other positions (4 = McAddo, 3= Barnes, Henson should show some development at the post, but he' still rail-thin). I'm not sure how strong they'll be at the 2, but R.B. had a great shot in High School.

I think we will be the dominant team in the ACC and I don't think UNC will have improved enough to challenge that, but I was hoping to see some more bottom-half seasons from our rivals and that hope appears to be in vain.

s.i.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    Just how good do you think UNC will be? As good as Felton,Mcants,May,Ellington,Hans were all of them had a learning curve as freshmen.Plus this time around-no elite PG...big difference.
    I don't recall Hansbrough having all that big a learning curve as a freshman, and his 18.9/7.8 stat line supports my recollection. Some freshmen hit the ground running.

ok that 1 out of 6. And hans isn't your normal freshmen. Plus no elite PG. I dont see Lawson. I dont see a Felton. Thats a big difference.

ok that 1 out of 6.
    Well, here's the freshman stats for the other 5:

McCants: 17ppg, 4.6 rpg
    Felton: 12.6 ppg, 6.7 apg
    May: 11.4 ppg, 8.1 rpg
    Lawson: 10.2 ppg, 5.6 apg
    Ellington: 11.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg

All of them are pretty good, so I'm not sure I see your point.

And hans isn't your normal freshmen.
    I agree. But who's to say that HB won't have a Hansbrough type year?

Plus no elite PG. I dont see Lawson. I dont see a Felton. Thats a big difference.
    Again, I agree. I never said they are a legitimate national championship contender, because I don't think they are. But (with McAdoo) they could be a top 10 or 15 team, 2nd in ACC, top 3 or 4 seed in the NCAAT, which is what I said in my previous post.

Hope I'm wrong

But I think unc will be top 15-20 this year. marshall will probably be better than most us Duke fans think & hope. Maybe he will be too slow for ole roy's style of play. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    But I think unc will be top 15-20 this year. marshall will probably be better than most us Duke fans think & hope. Maybe he will be too slow for ole roy's style of play. Go Duke!
    Kendall Marshall is a defensive liability who has no outside shot to contribute to an offense. Watch the McDonald's All-American practice videos, Kyrie made him look silly on the court--in one video Kyrie crossed him and made him fall on the floor. The dude even tried to flop while the guy took the game winning shot.

Look at the Tyler Thornton videos on Youtube, because Tyler also abused Marshall. It is also well known in the DMV area that Marshall was better as a junior than as a senior.

Harrison Barnes is going to wind up having to play point guard for them!

Why even talk about UNC when we are clearly better? I'm more concerned about MSU and Purdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post
    Why even talk about UNC when we are clearly better? I'm more concerned about MSU and Purdue.
    What is the point of being better than them if we don't talk about it as often as possible?

This is all very encouraging, but I will need to wait for the NC Pro Am before I make any definitive judgments.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post

Well if Izzo leaves (which it's looking like he will), it might only have to be Purdue.

... It sounds like HB is the real deal, though. In addition to winning a four court length foot race, he was one of the top four in a dribbling drill (as well as Nolan and also Kendall Marshall), and one guy said, "Harrison barnes jump shot is indefensible for a guard, you just have to hope he misses." ...
    Considering how far out HB will have to go to get free against Duke , I'm not concerned. I see him cutting through the paint twice and then floating on the perimter the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    ... if McAdoo comes early, they won't be nearly as weak in the 4/5 as I had hoped. ... 4 = McAddo ...
    Notice how there has been no word on McAdoo taking classes this summer? I bet ol' roy has him in media seclusion so he can't/won't answer questions, and then he'll show up in fall fully qualified. Nobody will get to ask if he took the two classes needed to get a high school degree or if he improperly snuck in with a GED.

No way McAdoo starts at the 4 in ACC play sans injury to Henson or Zeller.

... What people do disagree with you about are your contentions that Seth will start and that Kyrie, Nolan, and Seth will be on the court together for long periods of time. ...
    I AGREE with him. Kyrie, Nolan, and Seth will be on the court together for SIGNIFICANT periods of time.

I don't recall Hansbrough having all that big a learning curve as a freshman, and his 18.9/7.8 stat line supports my recollection. Some freshmen hit the ground running.
    Hansbrough hit the ground traveling.

He who forgets the past

Quote Originally Posted by natedog4ever View Post
    This is all very encouraging, but I will need to wait for the NC Pro Am before I make any definitive judgments.
    You're going to make definitive judgements based on summer league basketball?

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Well if Izzo leaves (which it's looking like he will), it might only have to be Purdue.
    A new coach, especially one who is familiar with Izzo's system, could do just fine in his first year. See Bartow, Gene; Smith, Tubby. In other sports, see Altobelli, Joseph.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    You're going to make definitive judgements based on summer league basketball?
    natedog throws out sarcastic lines as bait...he's hooked me a time or two.

or were you being sarcastic to his sarcasm?...I get confused.

Got me

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    natedog throws out sarcastic lines as bait...he's hooked me a time or two.

or were you being sarcastic to his sarcasm?...I get confused.
    Hook, line, and sinker. Man, can't believe I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    A new coach, especially one who is familiar with Izzo's system, could do just fine in his first year. See Bartow, Gene; Smith, Tubby. In other sports, see Altobelli, Joseph.
    With the same players and the same incoming freshman class, but that won't be the case with Mich State. Chris Allen has already been reported as considering transfering and according to Delvon Roe's father Allen was not at the player's meeting where Izzo spoke to the team about the Cavs job and also hasn't been attending workouts. Delvon Roe's father also told ESPN that he would advise his son to tranfer if Izzo left. It will also be hard to keep the four-man recruiting class if Izzo leaves.

Sources:

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index...zzo_hasnt.html

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/featu.../date/20100611

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    As long as we sweep them. Let them have a modicum of success. It gives them hope. Hope we can crush.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDuke View Post
    Harrison Barnes is going to wind up having to play point guard for them!
    With Harrison Barnes and Reggie Bullock playing on the wing, Larry Drew II will be a serviceable point guard. Marshall will be able to function in the specific role of a sub off the bench as a freshman. Carolina needs to avoid injury in their front court.
    Bob Green

Talent wise UNC will be very strong, but same could be said last year.

Last year UNC lacked upperclassmen and a proven PG. Same can be said this year, even less with Graves and Knox the only seniors versus Deon and 5th year guy Ginyard, but a little stronger among juniors with Zeller having two injury shortened seasons under hsi belt plus Drew II and Watts versus jsut Graves last year. Marshall is added to mix with Drew II and strickland but none seem final four caliber PGs.

Lack of seniors affects defense which is not a UNC point of emphasis relative to run, run, run, but who steps into the Ginyard stopper role is an open question. It could be Barnes but can't keep putting HB's name of every UNC question mark, outside shot, defensive stopper, leader, go to guy etc.

UNC only had Graves as outside threat last year but this year has Graves, and Barnes and possibly Bullock can hit it consistently his first year, plus some guys might improve over summer.

UNC had way more injuries than is normal and expect this year that will be much lower.

I see UNC and Duke as usual as two of top teams in ACC with UNC possibly making sweet 16 and then anything can happen.

The other top tier ACC teams are NC State with enough talent to compete if the Red Coat can coach them up to their potential and VA Tech thanks to a very favorable ACC unbalanced schedule that helps with respect to ACC standings but hurts with respect to NCAA bubble.