Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    This is totally just me trying to piece together what might be happening, but it sounds like she has some information that she's been sitting on, and if the charges against her son had been dropped the way PJ's were, then she would have just kept it to herself. But because her son was treated more harshly (having to do community service plus being put on probation) now she's upset and willing to talk.

So what to make of this? First off, who is she upset at? Is it Hairston? Is it the judicial system? Is it UNC? Secondly, what type of information could she have? If it's some sort of activity that Hairson has been involved in (drugs, gun violence, etc.) then it is likely that her son was also involved, and it's unlikely she would "spill the beans" and implicate her son in the process. If it's NCAA-related, such as PJ having more cars rented for him than what we know about, then I guess that could make sense but I don't understand why she would wait until now to say something about it. Unless she were expecting some sort of "favor" to have her son's charges dropped, and that favor never came through. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Work a 4:20 in there and you have a Pulitzer!
    You mean one of these:

420-Bottle-Shot-with-Logo-231x300.jpg

Well, maybe not that 420...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    This is totally just me trying to piece together what might be happening, but it sounds like she has some information that she's been sitting on, and if the charges against her son had been dropped the way PJ's were, then she would have just kept it to herself. But because her son was treated more harshly (having to do community service plus being put on probation) now she's upset and willing to talk.

So what to make of this? First off, who is she upset at? Is it Hairston? Is it the judicial system? Is it UNC? Secondly, what type of information could she have? If it's some sort of activity that Hairson has been involved in (drugs, gun violence, etc.) then it is likely that her son was also involved, and it's unlikely she would "spill the beans" and implicate her son in the process. If it's NCAA-related, such as PJ having more cars rented for him than what we know about, then I guess that could make sense but I don't understand why she would wait until now to say something about it. Unless she were expecting some sort of "favor" to have her son's charges dropped, and that favor never came through. Who knows...
    You must have missed the, "Don't Snitch" campaign a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yep.

411 on Hairston Hijinks, Heels' Wheels Caper: Faulcon Grounded, Trudy Ticked, PJ Rats on Fats?, Huck Hot, Pack Pursues.
    ... while DBR Delights

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But yeah, Roy is in for another Maalox Masher or whatever Dickie V calls them.
    Diaper Dingy? Dizzy-to-drive-a-roo? THC-er, baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I agree. She should be pissed. Her son took the rap for a UNC star, and got treated differently even though there was no more evidence on him than PJ. The driver is almost always held responsible for the vehicle and the contents in it. That the UNC lawyers got the charges dismissed on PJ (totally unfair, especially considering the gun) even though he was driving, and the passenger got a conviction is very telling on many levels.

I am interested to hear what the lady has to say. Agree with others that she has held her peace to this point expecting that her son would have his charges dropped as well.
    Generally, I agree with this post, except for the part about the gun. No one, including Faulcon, has ever been charged with anything related to the gun. Since the gun was found outside the car, and as far as we know the police a) did not see anyone throw the gun from the car, b) did not find any fingerprints or other evidence on the gun to link it to anyone in the car, there is no more reason to attribute ownership of the gun to PJ as driver than to anyone else in the car.

community service

When it was announced that PJ's charges were dropped, the article indicated he produced proof he had a driver's license and had completed a drug assessment program. I work at a nonprofit that partners with the court system in Durham to provide a venue for people doing court ordered community service. People often do that before going before the judge, rather than after. Being proactive can result in charges being dropped. It looks like Faulcon is being required to do community service - which means he didn't do it proactively. Just means Hairston got good advice - Faulcon did not.

I can only conclude that your cops down there are busier and more jaded about the presence of guns than cops are where I live.
    There's no way cops here would let the gun issue slide...it shouldn't be that hard to determine whose gun it was...

the gun

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I can only conclude that your cops down there are busier and more jaded about the presence of guns than cops are where I live.
    There's no way cops here would let the gun issue slide...it shouldn't be that hard to determine whose gun it was...
    I don't understand why people can't understand why there is not LEGAL issue with the gun.

(1) Without fingerprints or visually seeing the gun being thrown, there is no way to put it in that vehicle.

(2) And even if you could, so what? Under North Carolina's gun laws, there's nothing wrong with an 18-year-old possessing a gun. It doesn't have to be registered (Durham has gun registration, but that's just for Durham residents, not for people passing through).

The police checked the gun to see if it was stolen or had been used in a crime. When it came up negative in both counts, there was nothing left to pursue.

Sure, it looks bad for Hairston or one of his passengers to be packing a gun, but it was not illegal. So what are the police supposed to do?

I think the issue with the gun is that when it was present in conjunction with drugs and a rented car, that looks like they're dealings drugs. You are right that gun by itself wouldn't necessarily raise a red flag. And the fact that they threw it out of the car makes it look like they were hiding something - if they were just legally carrying a gun that didn't break any laws, why throw it?

I'm surprised the fact that Hairston tried to switch seats isn't a bigger issue. Seems like that should be a charge by itself, similar to attempting to evade a check point.

I think the issue with the gun is that when it was present in conjunction with drugs and a rented car, that looks like they're dealings drugs. You are right that gun by itself wouldn't necessarily raise a red flag. And the fact that they threw it out of the car makes it look like they were hiding something - if they were just legally carrying a gun that didn't break any laws, why throw it?
    You may be on to something, but if we've learned anything this summer, isn't it that 'PJ Hairston does something foolish' doesn't necessarily require any additional explanation?

I'm surprised the fact that Hairston tried to switch seats isn't a bigger issue. Seems like that should be a charge by itself, similar to attempting to evade a check point.
    I don't think it was ever confirmed the gun came from PJ's car.

But if it did (which it probably did), they most likely tossed it simply because they were scared and didn't know own their rights.

I may be alone on this, but while I hope Carolina players lose (badly) against us, I don't particularly want them to lose their scholarships or go to jail. PJ sounds like he's made some dumb decisions in regards to accepting benefits, but I don't recall anyone accusing him of hurting anyone or breaking any serious laws (aside, potentially, from NCAA infractions).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't understand why people can't understand why there is not LEGAL issue with the gun.

(1) Without fingerprints or visually seeing the gun being thrown, there is no way to put it in that vehicle.

(2) And even if you could, so what? Under North Carolina's gun laws, there's nothing wrong with an 18-year-old possessing a gun. It doesn't have to be registered (Durham has gun registration, but that's just for Durham residents, not for people passing through).

The police checked the gun to see if it was stolen or had been used in a crime. When it came up negative in both counts, there was nothing left to pursue.

Sure, it looks bad for Hairston or one of his passengers to be packing a gun, but it was not illegal. So what are the police supposed to do?
    I wonder what has happened to the gun? Do the police still have it or did one of the three claim it?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I wonder what has happened to the gun? Do the police still have it or did one of the three claim it?
    I once was pulled over in Durham for speeding. The cop asked me if I had a gun. When I replied "no", he asked me if I wanted to buy one.

(Just kidding. I have great respect for our policemen in Durham and other cities. Being a cop is one of a few jobs that I would not want. )

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    "You have no proof that that is my gun, you can't file charges!"

"You're right, no gun charges"

"Can I have my gun now?"

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    "You have no proof that that is my gun, you can't file charges!"

"You're right, no gun charges"

"Can I have my gun now?"
    This is exactly what I pictured happening.

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    You may be on to something, but if we've learned anything this summer, isn't it that 'PJ Hairston does something foolish' doesn't necessarily require any additional explanation?
    Instead of pleading "the fifth", he probably pleaded that it's "the Carolina Way"!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Generally, I agree with this post, except for the part about the gun. No one, including Faulcon, has ever been charged with anything related to the gun. Since the gun was found outside the car, and as far as we know the police a) did not see anyone throw the gun from the car, b) did not find any fingerprints or other evidence on the gun to link it to anyone in the car, there is no more reason to attribute ownership of the gun to PJ as driver than to anyone else in the car.
    One rebuttal. It's my understanding from the police report that the clip from the gun was found in the car. I get that none of the three were officially charged with gun related charges, but we do not know why that is. It was never made public why no charges came from the gun being found. The police never said whether or not they checked the gun for prints. I personally believe had it been 3 no name Durham kids in the vehicle that night, the gun charges would not have been dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... it looks bad for Hairston or one of his passengers to be packing a gun, but it was not illegal. ...
    I don't think it even looks bad. Hairston plays for an unhinged man, who has a pressure-filled job, and who has talked openly of his desire to shoot people in the behind. PJ probably packs for his own protection -- smartly, I might add.