Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Steve Buckhantz, doing the Wizards telecast versus the Heat, made reference to a player "who shoots with either hand -- he's amphibious -- like Charles Shackleford." Getting some legs. Maybe it'll go international soon.

sage
    "I can shoot with either hand . I am amphibious"

OK, you asked for it:

"Puedo disparar con ambas manos. Soy anfibio"

"لا استطيع اطلاق النار مع أي جهة. أنا البرمائية"

"Můžu střílet s jednou rukou. Jsem obojživelné"

"Jeg kan skyde med begge hænder. Jeg amfibisk"

"Ik kan schieten met beide handen. Ik amfibische ben"

"Je peux tirer avec les deux mains. Je suis amphibie"

"Ich kann mit beiden Händen zu schießen. Ich bin amphibische"

"Μπορώ να πυροβολούν με δύο χέρια. Είμαι αμφίβιο"

"אני יכול לירות ביד אחת. אני אמפיבי"

"Я могу стрелять с обеих рук. Я амфибия"

I think I covered most of the the major Euro and Middle Eastern League.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

OK, you asked for it:

I'm offended that you left out Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yes! The joke never dies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    It isn't a joke. That is what he said. " I can shoot with either hand . I am amphibious"
    I am very well aware that he really said it. That's why it's so funny, and why so many people, including me, use it in conversation when appropriate. You get some funny looks when "they" are not familiar with Mr. Shackleford's statement!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I am very well aware that he really said it. That's why it's so funny, and why so many people, including me, use it in conversation when appropriate. You get some funny looks when "they" are not familiar with Mr. Shackleford's statement!
    I use it the same way. It is funny because it really occurred.

Never seen Mr. Outlaw play, nor have I heard about him, but I certainly have learned to not get my hopes up for local recruits. For those of us living in the area, Duke fans are vastly outnumbered, and people in this state HATE Duke.

You can't blame these kids for growing up with that around them, but its hard for a lot of N.C. kids to get past that. Not everybody is as classless and stupid about it as Reggie Bullock, but unless a kid from North Carolina says, either "I'm a pretty big Duke fan, or I don't really have a team" then I try not to get my hopes up. Only recent exception I can think of is Shav, right? Not counting walk-ons.

That was a bit of a divergence from this particular recruit, again, never seen him or heard of him until now, heard about his dad. Maybe none of what I said above applies to this kid and that'd be nice, just a pattern I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    You can't blame these kids for growing up with that around them, but its hard for a lot of N.C. kids to get past that. Not everybody is as classless and stupid about it as Reggie Bullock, but unless a kid from North Carolina says, either "I'm a pretty big Duke fan, or I don't really have a team" then I try not to get my hopes up. Only recent exception I can think of is Shav, right? Not counting walk-ons.
    Ryan Kelly, sir.

Never seen Mr. Outlaw play, nor have I heard about him, but I certainly have learned to not get my hopes up for local recruits. For those of us living in the area, Duke fans are vastly outnumbered, and people in this state HATE Duke.

That was a bit of a divergence from this particular recruit, again, never seen him or heard of him until now, heard about his dad. Maybe none of what I said above applies to this kid and that'd be nice, just a pattern I've seen.
    PJ Hairston, Theo Pinson, Jaquel Richmond and Christian Hairston are all recruits from North Carolina that grew up as Duke fans. There are more, those are just off the top of my head.

On the other side: Mason Plumlee, Michael Gbinije, Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston and Quinn Cook all grew up as UNC fans.

Works both ways...

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Ryan Kelly, sir.
    Pretty sure Kelly was neutral growing up.

Could be wrong though.

Not such a "divergence" from Roxboro at all. We're very familiar with the area and there seem to be more Duke fans in Roxboro than in Durham. In fact, it's the only Duke friendly town I know of. So feel free to get your hopes up.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    Not such a "divergence" from Roxboro at all. We're very familiar with the area and there seem to be more Duke fans in Roxboro than in Durham. In fact, it's the only Duke friendly town I know of. So feel free to get your hopes up.
    Love, Ima
    Agree - Roxboro has always been Duke territory. I don'tknow why, but it has. Great attendance from Roxboro at Duke football as well.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Agree - Roxboro has always been Duke territory. I don'tknow why, but it has. Great attendance from Roxboro at Duke football as well.
    That's an accurate statement, and Outlaw did grow up a Duke fan. I saw this mentioned in an article or interview discussing his recruitment. There might already be a link somewhere earlier in this post.

Enos Slaughter is from Roxboro and was Duke's baseball coach for awhile.

As for Outlaw, Duke seems to be in the proplonged evaluation stage. Duke has one wing committed from the class of 2013 and has offers out to three more, none of whom are Outlaw.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    Maybe its just me but he didn't look that quick or explosive in that video.
    I had never really watched a video like that myself. As someone mentioned earlier, it is a scouting video not a highlight video. It appears that it was only meant to show how he got those stats. For me it simply showed that he has a good shooting stroke and got a lot of points and rebounds pretty effortlessly. You would have to watch more of the game to get an idea of how quick or explosive someone is. I think you were expecting something more like this, lol:

<url>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RxuoWoNhvg</url>

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    State is the school that admitted the "amphibious" Charles Shackleford, right?

That is true about NCSU. However, times were a bit different during Outlaw's recruitment. Les Robinson was brought in after Valvano's ouster with basically a mandate to do whatever it took to cleanup the program especially from the academic side. Outlaw always felt like a "save my job" recruit as at that point State fans had gotten tired of the mediocre players brought in by Robinson as opposed to the more talented, but academically deficient nature of some of Valvano's recruits. Who knows what the course of NCSU basketball and Outlaw's life would've been if he had managed to get a good enough SAT score to play.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    PJ Hairston, Theo Pinson, Jaquel Richmond and Christian Hairston are all recruits from North Carolina that grew up as Duke fans. There are more, those are just off the top of my head.

On the other side: Mason Plumlee, Michael Gbinije, Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston and Quinn Cook all grew up as UNC fans.

Works both ways...
    When it comes to the "business" of basketball, kids are going to play for the program that best fits them which isn't necessarily who they grew up liking. Good examples given. Just a few of what is probably many.

OK, you asked for it:

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I'm offended that you left out Italian.
    Sorry about that. I should never have omitted the Italian translation, especially considering my daughter took 3 years of Italian at Duke. Here ya go:

Sono in grado di sparare con entrambe le mani. Sono anfibio.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Good point. Roxboro is a small mostly (completely rural, haven't been back for 30 years) town, with good down to earth people who are not arrogant and snobish. When living in Durham, played all-star baseball in the summer with some kids from Roxboro. Great times with great people...

Sorry about that. I should never have omitted the Italian translation, especially considering my daughter took 3 years of Italian at Duke. Here ya go:

Sono in grado di sparare con entrambe le mani. Sono anfibio.
    Grazie mille!

I don't think he was really very high on Duke's priority list, (especially now with Semi committing) but Outlaw has verbally committed to UNC-Greensboro.

Seems like a good pick-up for the up-and-coming Wes Miller though.

http://www.highschoolot.com/content/story/11526653/
    Last edited by nocilla; 09-10-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: add link